Okay to have a food scale at work??

Options
turtlemt20
turtlemt20 Posts: 43 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
At work, they usually have free lunch everyday -- so I decided to bring my own salad and just take whatever protein option there is at lunch and skip everything else. I have to guesstimate my calories then and I'm not good at eyeballing portion sizes yet.

Would it be weird to have a food scale stored at my desk and to weigh my food at work...?

EDIT: for context - i work in a office/desk job

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It depends on your particular work environment, but if it helps you portion the protein selection a bit better it should be fine. Good luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    A portion of meat is about the size of a deck of cards (3 ounces).
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it. If I didn't weigh my food at home before work, I'd have one there.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Or stash it in the work kitchen and do your measuring there. Free lunch? How awesome is that?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Free lunch? Wow, if I had that I could practically eliminate my grocery bill.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yep, I keep a digital scale at my desk. Only ever had one person ask about it. When I told him the reason, he said, "wow, that's hardcore!" He's never given me crap about it, though. I use it everyday, too.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have a locker the size of a mini fridge next to my desk with a scale on a shelf. I just as discretely as possible weigh my fruit and veggies on it before eating. With the door open no one knows what I'm doing. Keep one in your desk if you have a problem with kitchen thieves.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it, but I would recommend that you don't keep any white powder close to it.

But what if it's protein powder?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    turtlemt20 wrote: »
    At work, they usually have free lunch everyday -- so I decided to bring my own salad and just take whatever protein option there is at lunch and skip everything else. I have to guesstimate my calories then and I'm not good at eyeballing portion sizes yet.

Would it be weird to have a food scale stored at my desk and to weigh my food at work...?

EDIT: for context - i work in a office/desk job

I have one at work. I don't really care if anyone thinks it's weird. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't think enough people at my work pay attention to what I do to even know what I have at my desk and I have the most visible desk in the office. I suppose it would depend on your office and your co-workers. When we had more people there were some super nosey ones all up in my business - remember the visible desk - it also has a receptionist-type counter. People would come around all the time and come behind it and look at what I was doing on the computer, but now we have less people and I am lucky to even see everyone.