Anyone into farro?

Options
dabearo
dabearo Posts: 57 Member
I have fallen in love. Been playing around with different things. How do you make your farro?
My fav right now. I was carving turkey and dressing. Sos I made dressing (sorta) with farro.
1 tbsp butter
1/2 onion
1 stalk of celery
4 oz breakfast sausage
Poultry seasoning
Salt pepper
Dried cranberries
1 cup raw farro cooked as directed

Sauté onions and celery until soft in butter
Add sausage cook until no pink remains
Add seasonings
Add cooked farro
Add cranberries
Top with pecans
All the thanksgiving flavors with a great bread substitute

Replies

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I like all the grains but I've yet to try farro.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I like it as a breakfast grain, mixed with applesauce or canned pumpkin and cinnamon, maybe a little milk, maybe some walnuts.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I use Farro in my salads, in place of breadcrumbs in meatballs, stuffed squash, stuffing ....
  • dabearo
    Options
    I like the breakfast idea.
  • lilchefmelissa
    lilchefmelissa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm making a roasted vegetable farro salad tomorrow at work. It will be interesting to see how it is.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking I want to try it. Is it readily available in most supermarkets or will I need to go to a health food store?
  • dabearo
    Options
    I can get it in my normal grocery store. Either by the rice or also in the bulk weight yourself section.
    Good whole grain, good fiber and protein. Kinda nutty flavor with a slight toothness to it.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have a bag in my pantry- reminds me I need to eat it :-) I usually eat it cold w chopped vegetables in a salad, but I love the "dressing" & breakfast ideas!!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I like farro. I love that if i put it dry in my thermos with boiling water it cooks by lunch time.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We have farro quite alot. The ancient Romans ate it. I like "Farro Salad". Cook pearled farro in slightly boiling water for about 20 min. Rinse with cold water. Drain. Prepare your salad greens (a mix is best), then add thatever you like--cheese, pieces of ham, salami, chicken, olives, chopped almonds....... Then I add a little salt, lemon pepper, and EVOO. Mix well and let sit a bit. I keep leftover cooked farro in the refrigerator for several days.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I love it.
    I use in in recipes that call for rice and substitute it. It is so nutty, chewy and good!
    I make it like the OP suggested all the time. It is good hot, cold and plain.
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Anything goes.

yayamom3, if your grocery store has Bob's Red Mill products, look for it in that section. You can order it direct from Bob's Red Mill too.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Are there any major benefits to eating farro vs. other grains?
  • yayamom3
    Options
    I love it.
    I use in in recipes that call for rice and substitute it. It is so nutty, chewy and good!
    I make it like the OP suggested all the time. It is good hot, cold and plain.
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Anything goes.

yayamom3, if your grocery store has Bob's Red Mill products, look for it in that section. You can order it direct from Bob's Red Mill too.

Thank you! I wouldn't have thought to look there.
  • dabearo
    Options
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/draxe.com/farro/amp/

Farro outperforms brown rice.

Made farro tonight
    1 link smoked sausage (johnsonville cheddar jalapeño)
    Econ
    1 cup farro
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 tbsp tony chacheres
    1 tbsp tomato paste
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 pat of butter.

Medium saucepan
    Sautée diced sausage in evoo until brown
    Add tomato paste cook for 1-2 minutes until darker in color
    Add tony chacheres- stir
    Add garlic - stir until fragrant
    Add stock
    Add rinsed farro

Bring to boil and then simmer 20-25 minutes until al dente

Add pat if butter. Salt to taste.

Yummy Cajun flavor.

• yayamom3
    Options
    k8mcminn wrote: »

I just made this, and it was absolutely delicious! It was my first time to cook and eat farro, and I'm officially a fan. My husband, who normally turns his nose up at my "healthy" recipes, even liked it. A really generous bowlful with 200 g was only 97 calories.

• dabearo
    Options
    Bumb