Does this edtimate TDEE sound about right?

Options
Recently I switched from a Fitbit Blaze to the Gear s2. I can't figure out how to view the estimate of my TDEE through sHealth or even on the watch.
So I am curious if the number that MFP is coming up with for the adjustment sounds about right.

5'4.5"
133.4 lbs
27 years old

I am a server. Today I had 8,500 steps while at work (7am -2pm).
This afternoon I did-
DailyBurn Live to Fail: Chest & Back (35 mins)
Strong Curves: Best Butt Bodyweight W1A (32 mins)

I aldo did some light cleaning and I am ending the day with 12700 steps.

MFP is estimating based on the data from sHealth a TDEE of 2542.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I'm the same height, 10 lbs heavier, same step count and have a TDEE of 1800-1900. My step counter will give me something like 2000 for a day like that but I've never tried maintaining on that...I bulked on that. 2500 seems high.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I dunno. I'm the same height, 10 lbs heavier, same step count and have a TDEE of 1800-1900. My step counter will give me something like 2000 for a day like that but I've never tried maintaining on that...I bulked on that. 2500 seems high.

I know mine is higher than 2000. I have been averaging 2200-2300 and am seeing a very slow trend down since starting my new job 3 weeks ago. By slow I am talking a 0.1-0.3 lb per week loss (data from libra with daily weigh in's).

~If I look at my gear s2 it's saying 1689 burned at 10:42 pm. I'm pretty sure it's going to end in the 1700's which is what calculators like IIFYM give me for a cut. I also know based on previous data, I would lose weight if I ate that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im 5'6 1/2 and 166lbs(42yrs). according to my fitbit I have a TDEE of about 2500+(with exercise and 12,000+ steps). I have a metabolic disorder and someone suggested I set my weight(on my fitbit) about 25lb lower to accommodate for my metabolic issue, and Im still burning the same amount of calories.

I have a charge HR. so I dont see how that could possibly be correct for both weights.I was maintaining at about 1700.I went back to trying to lose after a hiatus.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Oh. Well then this is just another post that makes me feel horrible about myself. But happy you can maintain on more. I wonder what's wrong with me.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Im 5'6 1/2 and 166lbs(42yrs). according to my fitbit I have a TDEE of about 2500+(with exercise and 12,000+ steps). I have a metabolic disorder and someone suggested I set my weight(on my fitbit) about 25lb lower to accommodate for my metabolic issue, and Im still burning the same amount of calories.

I have a charge HR. so I dont see how that could possibly be correct for both weights.I was maintaining at about 1700.I went back to trying to lose after a hiatus.

My fitbit was giving me 2500-2800 when I worked at McDonald's. But I haven't used it since starting my new job which definitely has me on my feet constantly moving (unlike McDonald's). The Gear s2 is what I have been using since switching jobs.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Oh. Well then this is just another post that makes me feel horrible about myself. But happy you can maintain on more. I wonder what's wrong with me.

Nothing. I'm the bizarre one. Most women around our height tend to eat around what you do for maintaining.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Nothing. I'm the bizarre one. Most women around our height tend to eat around what you do for maintaining.

Not from what I've read. I do feel like I'm on the low end.

2500 still seems high though.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    To get 2500 i have to walk 15-20k steps and do alot of heavy lifting and and i weigh more :/ Wish i could burn that much :(
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

dont feel bad. I should be losing and have a hell of a time doing so,even with lower calories and exercise. I havent lost anything since feb 1st. before that I lost less than 2 lbs and that took me a few months. before that it took me 6 months to lose 1.2 lbs..lowered my calories yet again and so fat nothing.I even did a few months in maintenance. but hunger is becoming a beast here too.
  • bbell1985
    Options

dont feel bad. I should be losing and have a hell of a time doing so,even with lower calories and exercise. I havent lost anything since feb 1st. before that I lost less than 2 lbs and that took me a few months. before that it took me 6 months to lose 1.2 lbs..lowered my calories yet again and so fat nothing.I even did a few months in maintenance. but hunger is becoming a beast here too.

Thanks...I didn't mean to derail. I just get a bit jealous. CICO...yeah yeah. But there is something to be said for genetics and just getting the *kitten* end of the stick at some point.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    sounds like we all have some kind of issue.@shadow2soul,the best way is if you are losing weight then its possible its accurate, if not then its probably not.if you arent losing(and you weigh everything and log properly-although for some its not a necessity),then lower your calories a bit. you dont say what your calorie intake is though either.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,618 Member
    Options
    off the top of my head and counting nothing else, 12,500 steps of which a good quantity were vigorous (exercise , serving and carrying things)... would be just above MFP's very active setting (for most people it would be the beginning of very active; but I am taking you at your word that you're burning on the high side).

What is MFP's very active setting to maintain for you?

OK: re-read your original and I am now even more confused :smile:

You said that MFP / Samsung are coming up with 2500 via their integration and that you are losing slightly at 2300.... Right? <-- well this statement is a tautology... if your maintenance is 2500 you are, of course, losing slightly at 2300... so what is there to doubt or wonder about?

Eat the 2500 and if it proves a bit much down the road adjust down again... (what am I missing here?)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is the Gear S2 doing HR-based or step-based calorie burn on the workout time?

If step-based - your resistance training would be woefully underestimated, since probably given BMR sleeping level burn for a good part of the workout. But only 1 hr, so 60 cal instead of say 180.

If HR-based - slightly over estimated - but then again it's % incorrect in an otherwise good active day is not much - probably more inaccuracy in your food labels.

If step-based - an incorrect stride-length or pace for those daily steps (like set to exercise level pace) could lead to decent amount off with that many steps.

If HR-based - if it assumed some slightly elevated HR during work was elevated and starting doing HR-based calorie burn for big chunks of time, that could lead to bad inflation usually.

While you can do some things to allow the S2 to be as accurate as possible (like manually logging some workouts it will estimate badly) - it will still come down to the testing as mentioned in several posts above.

And as soon as you think you have it nailed - seasons change.
    https://youtu.be/Yqk6y5Hmy9s

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sounds excessive. Sure, I'm a bit heavier and 10 years older but I'd have to walk 25k steps to reach 2600.
  • shadow2soul
    edited March 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ... so what is there to doubt or wonder about?

My confusion comes from how the adjustment works.
    Right now I have MFP set at active.

The sHealth adjustment looks to literally just be adding what sHealth thought my very active burn to be to MFP's base. No adjusting down for periods of inactivity.

MFP base 2148.
    MFP sHealth estimate 2550 based on calorie burn of 402.

So no matter the activity level setting, sHealth is going to give me 402 extra calories.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Is your activity level set correctly in MFP, when I first got my fitness tracker it was giving me some crazy amounts of calories, I changed MFP to lightly active (I do around 11-12000 steps per day) and it seems to be adjusting correctly now.

To give you a bit of context, I'm 5'8" 238lbs and my TDEE with my steps in but not including additional exercise is around 2700. My MFP calorie intake based on Lightly Active, losing 2lb per week is 1480, which I've upped to 1600 manually as I find this more sustainable.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Is the Gear S2 doing HR-based or step-based calorie burn on the workout time?

Not a clue. If I had to guess, I'd say HR data isn't used at all. Based on the fact that my sHealth reports say activity + resting burn is 1600 to 1700.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am 5'3.5'', 133 pounds...my TDEE is roughly 2,250.

That includes an average of probably 13,000 steps per day and 4-5 40 minute workouts per week.

So, using my own figures, I would reckon that your estimate is probably within the appropriate range.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ... so what is there to doubt or wonder about?

My confusion comes from how the adjustment works.
    Right now I have MFP set at active.

The sHealth adjustment looks to literally just be adding what sHealth thought my very active burn to be to MFP's base. No adjusting down for periods of inactivity.

MFP base 2148.
    MFP sHealth estimate 2550 based on calorie burn of 402.

So no matter the activity level setting, sHealth is going to give me 402 extra calories.

The adjustment works like this.

BMR 1343 x 1.6 Active MFP level = 2148 estimated daily burn based on your guess for non-exercise activity level.

SHealth sends to MFP you burned 2550 at end of day say, based on actually seeing your activity level and exercise.

SHealth 2550 - 2148 MFP = 402 adjustment.

MFP eating level was say MFP estimated 2148 - 500 deficit = 1648 non-exercise goal.

1648 base goal + 402 adjustment = 2050 eating goal

Still 500 deficit.

That 402 adjustment could have been a workout. Perhaps 600, perhaps 200. Then your daily activity made the difference.

Could have been no workout but merely more active (steps) than Active Level was giving credit for - meaning you guessed wrong if no workout.

During the day, the way the adjustment works is different.
    If you really want to know and enjoy math, read the 2nd half of this FAQ - different device, same methods used on MFP though.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1