Home in a blizzard & trying not to eat comfort foods

Options
Help, stuck home today, no gym as Massachusetts currently has a state of emergency and a travel ban. It's cold and nasty and all I want to do is eat warm comfort foods. How do you handle this? I've had multiple cups of coffee and am chewing gum like the is in tomorrow, but really want some homemade mac and cheese!

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Be strong! Maybe just drink a lot of water or something else to fill you without too many calories. Actually, you might want to hoard your food just in case the state of emergency lasts longer than expected. haha
  • IamMicah
    IamMicah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Clearly you arent busy enough to keep your mind off the bad cravings. Go outside and shovel snow. Its no different then any other craving time. Replace the craving with a workout.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Have the mac & cheese.
  • gyp5012
    gyp5012 Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you really don't want to eat it, throw it away!
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Berkgal33 wrote: »
    Help, stuck home today, no gym as Massachusetts currently has a state of emergency and a travel ban.

But the internet is working! Now go on youtube and look for a bodyweight workout, dance workout, zumba, pilates, yoga...ANYTHING that you like and will keep you busy for a while.
    That or you take out the hoover and start cleaning, tidying up the room/flat/house. Your choice.

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Why not just make the mac n cheese, just make a small portion so you don't overeat?
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Do you have an instant pot? You can make a nice healthy soup in a jif!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What are warm comfort foods? I like making soups and stews in that kind of weather...soups and stews tend to be relatively easy on the calories.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd totally make a small thing of mac'n'cheese - just fit it into your calories for the day
  • beginforthelasttime16
    beginforthelasttime16 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Agree with looking up youtube workouts, brothbased things, and closet cleaning!

Busy busy busy is the best distraction!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I knew I'd be snowed in too. I bought vegetables and soup. No calorie dense foods around to get me into trouble :)
    I'm going to trudge through the blizzard to the gym too. They are crazy and will open at 1. I bet I'll be the only one there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Look up a one YouTube exercise videos or start a project on one of your hobbies.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just have it. Do you not have calories for mac and cheese or do you just think you can't eat food you like?

Exercise- more calories plus warms you up and keeps you occupied. Lots of workouts on you tube or turn on some music and dance.
    Listen to podcasts.
    Read.
    Play games.
    Clean your house.
    Sing
    Learn something new
    Shovel snow for an elderly neighbor or see if they need something.

I'm home every day pretty much and eat at specific meal times and plan out my food for the day. I eat comfort food.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    mix mac&cheese with a bunch of steamed veggies, then the packet will last for several meals.
  • fitRTs
    fitRTs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands busy, maybe try to do activities you don't associate with eating. I know if I were snowed in and had a netflix marathon it'd be really hard not to binge on comfort foods.

This won't help you right now, but I got a Kitchen Safe (https://www.thekitchensafe.com/) and I put the stuff I tend to binge on in there. You can't put it in the freezer, so it wouldn't work for ice cream or anything like that. I can still treat myself with one serving of something a day and immediately lock it until the next day! Actually put leftover pizza in there once and locked it for a week. Left in the fridge and was able to open it, but I'm not sure you're supposed to put it in the fridge...
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You can still have warm comforting foods assuming you have them available, specifically things like herbal tea and sugar free cocoa are low to very low calorie.

Also as others have said, calories in vs calories out is pretty much king. You can have a serving of mac and cheese and it won't kill you, just make sure you're factoring it into your daily calories! :) Stay warm!
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Update: I did NOT eat the Mac and Cheese. I ate a 2 pound bag of celery!! I also made brownies, and had a small one while still warm. I walked the dog, and shoveled the walk (hubby did the major portion with the snow blower). I worked most of the day on-line, but it was a bit tough. I kept feeling like eating. I don't care how long it takes me to dig out tomorrow I am hitting the gym.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of celery lol, I think I would have gone with the Mac n Cheese.
  • breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    if it makes you feel better I had an oversized handful of dark chocolate covered almonds and four pieces of pizza. THATS ON ME!