Has anyone else noticed a decreased calorie award for walking or is it just me?

Options
I walk to/from work, and I usually earn around 200 calories for this. However today, doing exactly the same walk at the same pace, I only earned around 80. Is it just me, or has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Have you recently logged in a significant weight loss? Are you tracking via Fitbit or some other exercise tracker that auto-calculates for you? My thoughts are if you weight less that level of exercise could burn fewer calories or if you are using a Fitbit or something similar your heart rate may not have elevated as much as it did in the past do to increase fitness levels.
    I have noticed that my lighter workouts are giving me less of a calorie boost than before and I figure it is a combo of less weight to carry around, increased cardiovascular fitness so that same workout doesn't cause my HR to increase, and the Fitbit getting better tuned into my normal activities (had it a bit over 2 weeks now and went from a 600-800 daily credit to 300-400).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Body weight X .31 X distance in miles will give you the calories in the ball park.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There could have been a GPS glitch for just one time. Or maybe a lag in syncing. Watch it for a week and see what happens.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh less? As @Chieflrg pointed out, calories burned is a function of bodyweight.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    as you get in better shape, your body gets more efficient and you burn less for the same activity. shake up your walk a bit, walk faster , or jog a little, or take a different route with some hills, or some stairs or something.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I walk to/from work, and I usually earn around 200 calories for this. However today, doing exactly the same walk at the same pace, I only earned around 80. Is it just me, or has this happened to anyone else?

What were you using to measure that?
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening for me, and I haven't logged a weight loss or changed my device
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,246 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    as you get in better shape, your body gets more efficient and you burn less for the same activity. shake up your walk a bit, walk faster , or jog a little, or take a different route with some hills, or some stairs or something.

There is some truth to this, but when it comes to walking, unless a person was unable to walk properly due to weight when they started, the changes would be minimal. To be more precise, the increased efficiency will mean the work output from walking will take a person further, thus reducing time walked, and thus reducing calories burned.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,246 Member
    Options

What are you using to measure your calories burned?