How did you find your exercise?

I'm really struggling finding exercise I enjoy and can stick with. There's a lot of things I'd like to do or try, and I will for a time, but then I get bored, get busy, etc. and my interest fades.

For me, once I "get" something, I'm hooked. Like MFP, once I nailed down the calorie deficit/weighing foods is how you lose weight, it's stuck with me. Has changed my life. I'm constantly progressing toward my weight goal.

But it's more than just my weight. I want to look and feel a certain way, too. But finding that "thing" that makes it stick. That makes the workout almost an extension of who you are---that's what I'm looking for and I don't know how to find it. Right now I'm in the excuses phase; not a lot of time, not a lot of energy, it's cold outside, gym anxiety, etc.

How did YOU find it? What made fitness become as much a part of you as breathing?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    My main exercise is cycling. It's 8:15 am, I've been to work a little more than an hour, I've already had a conversation with a coworker about how it sucks that it's been raining for weeks and bad bike weather. Like you, I fell into it and got hooked. When I can't do it, I daydream about it. I can't say how it all got started because it goes back as far as I can remember.

This winter I took up cross country skiing and got that same feeling of amazement. I've been skiing as an adult for a few years but my honey bought me gear and I've been on a trail ever chance I've had.

One obvious thing these both have in common is that they're outdoor exercise. Besides the endorphins and the speed and the turns and all the other fun, I get a break from cabin fever and great scenery.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    My PE teacher sent me to play squash with the boys when I was about 15/16 as I had spent half the lesson tripping over hurdles that were flat on the floor (learning which foot to lead with or some such nonsense).
    Thus began love of squash and it is awesome exercise

Swimming - have always been part fish. Swimming gala at school was the only sporting event I was actually keen on! Was lucky that our school had a pool and I went swimming once a week with mum or dad as well growing up.

My partner got me into Les Mills Combat and Pump about a year or so ago, so grateful to her for that, they are brilliant work outs.

I now get grumpy if I don't do these 3 regularly. This week is on the extreme side (4 squash games, 5 swims and one Combat and 2 Pump) but I love every minute!

I'd try everything you have a chance to. Gym offers classes, go along, see what they are like. I have found the classes to be much friendlier than the gym and less anxiety inducing.
    Local club starts offering kickboxing or martial arts or fencing? See if they do a taster session. Same with Yoga and Pilates.

Hope you find that thing/things you can enjoy and continue with!
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    I guess my fall back is martial arts. I started when I was like 5, 20+ years later, I teach karate on a regular basis (heck, I taught karate 2 days before having a baby). The nice thing about that sport for someone who gets bored with something, is there are constantly new things to learn and work on. Once you get one set of requirements down, you test to a new belt and have new stuff to work on. Once I hit black belt and there weren't really new things to learn, I started teaching and that's a whole new territory of learning, you refine techniques and have to keep you mind working to find fresh ways to teach each of your students.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I guess I was just getting back into the gym because I knew my weight was getting out of control. I always like the weight machines more than cardio. I was on a machine one day when I trainer came up to me and though she was hustling for my business, she was kind of nice...and I was in the mood for a challenge.

I told her straight up my goals were to lose weight, and that I like lifting weights. She immediately got me downstairs with a barbell. I took to it instantly. Soon enough I started understanding the difference between training for strength and training for physique, and found that I liked strength better. The rest is history. I don't miss workouts. I hired a coach. I sign up for competitions. It's my life.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I started running when I was in law school - my then-husband was a runner, and had been encouraging me to run with him for years, but I just didn't want to. But when I was in school - and especially during finals time - the stress was really intense, and I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't think of anything else. So I finally started running, as a way to get all that *kitten* out of my system. I had no discipline, didn't look at distance or pace or any of that crap. I just ran until I was tired, then I'd walk, and then I'd run some more - lather, rinse, repeat, until I was so exhausted I couldn't stand up anymore. (I don't really recommend this) And magically, I started sleeping again and was better able to cope with the stress. And I'm still a runner, although I'm a much smarter runner, now. I can't say that I love it, but I need it. Nothing else releases tension the way running does, for me, and if I miss a week, it shows.

I've tried lots of cross-training exercises, and like you, I just don't stick with it if I don't love it. I want to enjoy lifting, but I just don't. I hated yoga. I can cycle with my husband sometimes, but it's really not my thing. I like swimming, but there's just not a convenient outlet for that, in my universe.

But about a year ago, I tried a kickboxing class, almost by accident. And I love it. LOVE it. I've gained a lot of strength and it's improved my running, and it's fun and I have a fantastic instructor. It satisfies some part of my messed-up brain that running hasn't seemed to get at. It's been harder to get to class lately, but I get there once a week (in about an hour, actually) and my husband bought me a heavy bag and I do a workout in my garage about once a week, too.

I think finding your *thing* is more mental than physical. If you love it, you'll keep doing it. It shouldn't just be about the weight loss or the physique.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    My mentor suggested I get stronger as a scrawny 13 year old girl. I started lifting weights....lifted through high school and college, crashed and burned after a health diagnosis, but picked the weights back up a year ago....the love affair continues. Running is the outlet for my competitive spirit.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Couldn't motivate myself to the gym and don't enjoy working out with weights around a load of broscience types so I bought some weights for home and came across the HASFIT channel on Youtube. I've saved myself the cost of my gym membership and I do it 4-5 days per week after work and when I get up on a weekend, as opposed to trying to drag myself to the gym after work and maybe getting there 4-5 times a month.

I am kinda hooked on it now, was great for beginner - intermediate level, particularly with a back injury and I enjoy it, and I think that's the most important thing, if you enjoy something you want to do it. If you don't enjoy it, you're constantly trying to motivate yourself.

I also love going hill walking, I moved over to Ireland 18 months ago and there is some stunning scenery that I could never get bored of.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2017
    I bounced around doing various things while I was losing weight...mostly lifting and some jogging and rucking. I always have enjoyed lifting, but I wasn't much into the jogging...I just did it because jogging and everyone seems to jog. The only thing that kept me remotely interested was signing up for 5Ks and such.

When I went to maintenance I decided to sign up for and train for a sprint triathlon with a friend. I never ended up doing the race due to injury, but that's when I discovered that I love to ride.

I've been riding ever since. Not all of my rides are sufferfest training bouts...most of them are in fact easy endurance pace rides that are simply pleasurable...more than a recreational pace, but certainly nowhere near race pace.

I sign up for two or three events annually and dedicate a number of weeks training for those specifically...otherwise, I'm pretty much just out there enjoying the sunshine on a nice ride. My miles are already starting to go up as Spring is in the air...they drop quite a bit during winter and I spend more time on my trainer...but with Spring rolling in, I'll be back up to 80-100 miles per week in no time. I'll likely be around 60 this week.

I also mix it up here and there with some hiking and I enjoy a good swim now and then. I lift a couple days per week.

ETA: it can also be beneficial to train seasonally to mix it up.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    I do obstacle racing, so my workouts are focused on the goal of doing well. I run, do crossfit, and do yoga. I'm never bored because I alternate between long, hill, and easy runs as well as speed intervals. Crossfit takes care of itself by never being the same. I need the yoga to stretch out my tight hammies.

I used to do power lifting and still love trying for a 1RM, but the training gets boring for me...especially reps over 3!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm a former gymnast and dancer. I knew whatever I did had to be challenging and constantly changing. Even if it was just variation on a theme. I started with Insanity, which probably was a little insane given my weight at the time. By then end my knees hated me but I'd found my exercise mojo.

I then got into running for a little while but my anxiety issues make it hit and miss. When running was becoming harder for me due to that I turned to Youtube. Found Fitness Blender. Haven't looked back. Have bought adjustable dumbbells and really enjoy that there are so many workouts to choose from, their paid for programs are cheap and they're just easy to workout with without getting annoyed with their personalities.

As a byproduct I discovered I really enjoy strength training, makes me feel like She-ra. And for me, the quick change superset style or moderate weight moderate sets keeps me interested. I'm not sure I ever want to pick up a barbell and that's okay. Especially when you look at Kelli's body, that's goals pretty much right there!
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    I was a cardio bunny at the gym when I was in my early twenties. There were a bunch of super muscle freaks at my YMCA and after the gym one day I had dinner with one of them. It wasn't a love match, he was waay too into himself for my tastes but he thought I'd love lifting.

These guys actually had a bunch of sayings that stuck with me - Like, if you can't squat you can't do squat. Be the 90 year old who can actually get off the toilet - do some squats now! Dead lift now, in case you ever need to move a body...that kind of stuff.

I started off with just the machines. Then I found out the only way to get results was to move to the free weights. And I've been lifting off and on for the past 14 years or so. I don't look like a weight lifter. I follow pretty close to the kind of lifting those guys did then, lift heavy and concentrate on using multiple muscle groups. The only difference being some of the true roid cases only did their one rep max once a week. I couldn't ever do that!

Anyways, I still love cardio but I will always go back to weights. And at 37 my booty is still perky, thanks to those squats! Hopefully when I'm 90 I'll still be able to stand up from the toilet, and I hope I never need to hide a body because I can still only deadlift about 150lbs. :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I went through a rock climbing phase. It ended when my climbing partner retired, I'd love to keep climbing but it's not something you can really do solo.

A few years ago there was a thread on the local hiking forum, looking for people who want to climb. Some people are being tested for their certification as guides, and need mock clients. A free lesson! I wasn't interested in rock climbing but had done a bit of glacier climbing and wanted to continue, so I took the class to get some experience tying into the rope and stuff like that. I was wrong, though, it was incredible fun, and I spent the next couple years doing it. If I ever find another climbing partner, I'm going to buy a drone to get photos and video.

33267142152_060138318f_o_d.jpg
  • virginiashannon
    virginiashannon Posts: 16 Member
    I lost all my weight (75 lbs and still counting) and my exercise for the most part just consisted of walking! Of course with it being winter and still being cold here in Michigan, I have totally missed my walks. Some people walk in the cold, but as I continue to drop in weight cold goes right through to my bones and its not enjoyable anymore. Since I have not been walking I have since tried the Treadmill, eliptical, and walking on the Indoor track and it is NOT the same. Give me a walking trail, being outside in nature (listening to the birds, animals or just enjoying the breeze) I can walk for miles. Exercise doesn't have to be anything Drastic, individuals just to find out what they particularly enjoy and stick with it!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    My gateway activity was roller derby. I originally tried it because it looked exciting as *kitten* and who doesn't love to roller skate, but it was also empowering as a full contact women's sport. I needed a team sport as I wasn't into working out for the sake of it. 5 years later, I am cross training to be better at derby, the irony. Now I run (well, I trot, I do intervals, I can run 5k straight on the treadmill but not every day and outside, yeah I'm working on that) and I have a stationary bike to change things up, and I do free weights and hiit and junk, whatever I feel like. But mostly cardio, partly for the calorie burn when I started trying to get this 40lbs off, but now I enjoy it and it's given me killer derby endurance.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I started walking and that led to running. I like being able to step out my front door and hit the road. It has become my me time, at 5:00 AM I have the whole city to myself.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    When I first started cycling, I knew I liked it, but didn't think much of it. I found myself doing long rides, but it still didn't hit me as a passion. Then, I met a friend who had a riding style that really clicked with me, and then I was hooked. I guess when I rode by myself, it didn't occur to me that riding long distances on roads was a "thing", I only knew mountain bikers and that just didn't do it for me. I was pretty lucky to meet her, she changed my life. There are a lot of activities that don't interest me; running, ball sports, others. It's fine to keep trying new things, but pay attention to what you do enjoy with each activity and find things that are similar, for example I never enjoyed competition, so I avoid competitive activities.

Also- I thrive on novelty! You might be similar. I have to keep changing things up and making things seem new to me or else I get bored.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    It wasn't until I found Stronglifts that I really got into lifting. I was doing the typical isolation moves, doing what I saw in magazines, and floundering about without a real plan. I wasn't getting anywhere.

I was browsing on this forum when I found someone suggesting Stronglifts. I had always admired the people in the free weights section, especially the ones in the rack. I read up on it and watched the videos and then I got started. I got hooked about three weeks in and enjoyed seeing progress. I also enjoyed having a set list of things to do.

All the other times I've exercised, I would stop six weeks in but it's been almost a year since I started lifting and I don't see myself stopping! I don't get bored and yes, it can be frustrating some days, but the sense of accomplishment is great when you hit a new PR.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I was lucky. I knew a long time ago I wanted to be strong and run fast. A high school & college track career, that morphed into lots of lifting with the occasional runs & 5ks. Got out of it a few years in my mid 30's, but quickly recaptured the fire once I started back. Shifted my running to the longer endurance type, my strength training to incorporate much more body weight/gymnastics and viola. Here I am. Within the past couple years I've also got into crossfit. Certainly no boredom there. I'm loving my current fitness life, and really into exploring getting both stronger and better at endurance events simultaneously. Which isn't as impossible as many believe.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    I get so inspired when I read stories like those posted above and really wish I was one of those people, but I'm not.

Nothing has ever clicked or become a passion. I could try to put it down to starting late, 54, I could put it down to the fact that none of my family were active (nothing much happening in industrial northern U.K in the 50's & 60's), but in all honesty- I really don't know why.

What I do know is setting an hour aside a day and doing a drop in class, or group sign up class, going for a fast paced walk, or stroll, or even doing nerdfitness, Hasfit, or any YouTube video, along with lifting x3 keeps my all around fitness level up, and my interest engaged.

You don't have to have a love or a passion; you just have to realise that a good fitness level means you have a better quality of life.

I like that in my 60's, when on vacation, I am off with those half my age hiking, swimming, snorkling, riding, climbing, etc- not getting on a bus for a guided tour around those areas, watching the fitter folks at a seated distance, wishing I could take part, like so many of my contemporaries.

You may find something you love, but if you don't go for variety to keep your interest piqued.

Cheers, h.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I was never athletic growing up. Last one chosen for the teams and all that. Then when I was about 30, I started walking as a way of dealing with severe stress and depression. That led to hiking, since I found that I could handle the garbage a lot easier after spending some time in the mountains. That led to backpacking, and eventually long distance backpacking. I did hiking and backpacking for 25 years and didn't really need any other activity. It kept me fit and healthy and happy. However, my husband started to have some health issues and couldn't go with me, but didn't like me to go alone, so I needed something new. Someone on a dog forum was looking for people to do C25k with her. I didn't think I could run (bad knees) but said, I'll try it. I was the only one who finished. Now, 6 years later, I run 30-40 mpw and am training for my 3rd marathon. I would like to get into long distance biking as well, but my husband doesn't ride and the area we live in is not at all bike friendly.