How do I determine which activity level is correct?

Options
ellefox70
ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
Is there a list of definitions re activity level within MFP to refer to? I'm not sure whether to catergorise myself as active or lightly active and have noticed that it makes a bit of a difference to calorie allocation! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People usually choose based on their job or daily activities. Most people aren't active by MFP's standards unless they have a job that keeps them on their feet for the majority of the day.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    Ah ok thanks. I have a desk job so guess I need to go with lightly active then. Hmm, suspect my calorie allowance is about to go down
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ellefox70 wrote: »
    Ah ok thanks. I have a desk job so guess I need to go with lightly active then. Hmm, suspect my calorie allowance is about to go down

Typically someone with a desk job would be considered sedentary.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Typically someone with a desk job would be considered sedentary.

This. If you work a desk job, I'd start w/sedentary and adjust if you need to.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    Really??!! Oh boy I'm gonna be hungry! Time to suck it up I guess... Thank you everyone.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    Ha, Ok it looks like u don't get lower than 1200, so makes no difference if I'm sedentary or lightly active. Is 1200 the lowest MFP recommends or has something else that I need to check kept it at the same calorie level? Don't get me wrong, sounds pretty low to me...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ha, Ok it looks like u don't get lower than 1200, so makes no difference if I'm sedentary or lightly active. Is 1200 the lowest MFP recommends or has something else that I need to check kept it at the same calorie level? Don't get me wrong, sounds pretty low to me...

Yes, 1200 is the lowest it will go. You can set your rate of loss lower and it should give you more calories (i.e. if you chose the maximum 2 pounds per week, go with 1 pound per week instead).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

That's why you get to eat back your exercise calories
  • ellefox70
    Options
    Right, ok thank u. I will switch from losing 1 to .5 pounds per week and see how that goes for a while. Thanx for your help.
  • HlthDtour
    HlthDtour Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You also have to take into account how you personally feel. The MFP setting is a great starting point but you still need to have enough energy and be losing in a consistant manner. If you are so hungry you binge then you might need to increase your daily allowance.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Eat 1/2 your exercise calories if your settings are sedentary it's one way to have more and it's good for you