Really need some insight about maintenence. :(

Options
So for the past 7 months Ive been maintaining my new weight range of about 127-130 pounds. I'm 5'8 and female and have a pretty small frame. The problem is I still have a ton of fat on my body. I've got a lot of fat on my belly and legs and I'm just not happy with where I'm at. I guess I'm skinny fat now. I don't really want to lose more weight becuase I don't want to be underweight but at the same time I'm lost with what to do. I started strength training and have been doing a lot of research on body recomposition but I don't know how to eat for it calorie wise (I already eat a lot of nutrient dense foods and make sure to get my protein in)

I have no idea what my maintenence is and I'm terrified to gain fat back. It took me 6 months just to lose 30 pounds and I don't want to have to do it again. I lost that weight eating about 1400 hundred calories a day and I weigh and log all my food as accurately as possible. I've tried upping my calories to find my maintenence but the scale just jumps way up. I know the initial jump is water but I've been eating consistently more (around 1600 calories} through December to February and I'm sitting at 133-135 now and I know it's not muscle becuase i still look chubby as ever and my clothes are fitting tighter. I'm just at a dead end. I got really discouraged and tried lowering my calories back down for a little bit and saw no change. Not even a pound lost. I've been sitting at 133-135 for the past two months and no matter how I eat it's not budging. I know it's only three pounds but it scares me that it's just gonna go up from there. I want to lose my belly so bad I feel like it's never gonna happen for me.

Just to point out also, I know I'm NOT fat. I'm not saying that in the slightest. What I am frustrated about is I'm skinny fat now. I'm small but have a really pudgy belly with love handles and really fatty upper thighs. Pretty much the exact same shape I was before I lost 30 pounds just smaller if that makes sense. And everytime I up my calories to "maintenence" it just seems like Im gaining back weight.

Replies

• 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Have you tried 1500 cal a day (if you lost at 1400, but are starting to gain at 1600)? Sounds like you need to start lifting weights as well so your composition improves. The Scooby calculator is a good place to start. Always been my go to.
  • adoleyat
    adoleyat Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hey, you're doing great! Keep up the good work. My suggestion as a fellow novice is to keep working on the strength training. That's what has made the biggest difference for me so far in targeting the specific body areas you mention. What type of workouts are you doing? I work out twice per week with a trainer and we focus on body weight and lifting exercises including squats, step-ups, and lunges. Also, how many grams of protein, fat and carbs are you eating every day? You may need to adjust your macronutrients to reboot your metabolism towards burning fat instead of counting calories. Good luck!
  • thabersham1
    thabersham1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You have had amazing progress!! I have lost over 100 pounds myself. The hardest thing is making your mind accept the strides you've already made. I struggle with this myself. I have stubborn loose skin that won't go away (seems like anyway), and I catch myself looking at myself, disgusted, because I don't look like I want to look. It's during these times that you have to dig deep! You got this, we've ALL got this. Be encouraged!
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @ad
    adoleyat wrote: »
    Hey, you're doing great! Keep up the good work. My suggestion as a fellow novice is to keep working on the strength training. That's what has made the biggest difference for me so far in targeting the specific body areas you mention. What type of workouts are you doing? I work out twice per week with a trainer and we focus on body weight and lifting exercises including squats, step-ups, and lunges. Also, how many grams of protein, fat and carbs are you eating every day? You may need to adjust your macronutrients to reboot your metabolism towards burning fat instead of counting calories. Good luck!

I've started a weight lifting program that has me doing a 4 day split of arms/chest, legs, back/shoulders, booty and then a day of abs and hiit cardio. I also wear a fitbit and usually get known 10,000-11,000 steps a day. I aim for about 130 grams of protein a day and around 30 grams of fat and fill the rest with carbs. I guess I'm just going to have to give it time. How long does it take to notice a difference? I just get freaked out when I see the scale jump up. I've just been feeling extra pudgy lately lol
  • cathipa
    Options
    Increase your fat to at least 50g to support hormone balance. Protein seems adequate.
  • tmarple93
    Options
    Also everytime I use a maintenance calculator it always tells me my maintenence is like 1900 to 2100 calories. And I know if I actually ate that much I'd gain for sure which also has me confused.
  • cathipa
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The calculators are only as good as the data you give them. Maybe you are setting your activity too high?

ETA: Strength training isn't like cardio. You don't burn as much per hour. When I add your stats I get 1500 cal/day maintenance for no activity. Are you weighing everything you eat and logging everything you consume? I only ask because I'm older, weigh more and am shorter and I'm cutting on 1650 cal/day. I lift 4 days a week for 45-60 min and cardio 3 days a week for 30-60 min each day.
  • adoleyat
    adoleyat Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @tmarple93 I understand that feeling where you're like "uh, why is the scale jumping up!" I'm also figuring out how to maintain weight loss right now. I find that my weight loss has been most effective when I focus on strength training every part of my body during my workout instead of having separate leg/arm/etc days. I also do interval training instead of doing 30 min cardio sessions as many people do.

We aren't exactly the same but I actually eat 130 g protein, 45 g fat, and 165 g carbs every day. I am pretty strict within a tolerance of +/- 2 g fat and +/- 5 g protein and carbs. So I'm not sure how many carbs you are getting but it's really worth it to make sure that those are both in a reasonable range and that you're actually getting enough fat.

I started to notice a significant difference after about two months of following this plan daily! You've got this girl!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat last fall. I was Skinnyfat. Gaunt in the face and chest. Flappy arms and jiggly legs. I am a lot older so the the skin is not so quick to snap back to smooth.

I'd lost most weight by walking and had kicked it up to walk-run a bit. To firm up I started running short and then longer distances in October. And I still did elliptical at the gym four days a week, but added light weights, more reps. And vertical leg lifts for core.

Now I can run 5k in about 36 min. That is a huge deal for me. My arms, back, chest are becoming defined. My legs and butt have muscles, and the jiggles are disappearing. My belly is flat. Hallelujah!

I eat more because I'm hungry, and because of the muscle tone I weigh about 8 pounds more than last fall. But my clothes fit practically the same, although I now have a waist and my hips aren't so straight.

Albert think about low weights, more reps and core work for your tummy. I think you're young so you'll form up quicker than I did!

Good luck!
  • jpuntney
    jpuntney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You want to really focus on exercise right now. You want to have a mix of strength and cardio. Just counting calories by itself will help you lose weight, but it won't re-shape your body. You need to be doing some type of exercise 4 days per week. Be prepared though, as you increase your strength training, your muscle mass will go up and muscle weighs more than fat. However, while your weight will go up a little with strength training, your actual size will go down. Once you begin weight training, I recommend you depend less on the scale and more on the tape measure.
  • cathipa
    Options
    jpuntney wrote: »
    You want to really focus on exercise right now. You want to have a mix of strength and cardio. Just counting calories by itself will help you lose weight, but it won't re-shape your body. You need to be doing some type of exercise 4 days per week. Be prepared though, as you increase your strength training, your muscle mass will go up and muscle weighs more than fat. However, while your weight will go up a little with strength training, your actual size will go down. Once you begin weight training, I recommend you depend less on the scale and more on the tape measure.

This is a common misconception. A pound of feathers, a pound of fat, a pound of muscle all weigh the same. Volume is less for muscle so it doesn't take up as much space as fat does. Agree with taking measurements and pics.
  • tmarple93
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the advice I'm just gonna have to keep on going and maybe I'll just ditch the scale for while and just go off my measurements. :/@cathipa Im a barita/waitress at a really busy cafe so I'm on my feet all day running around and cleaning then I go to the gym afterwords. So I set my active to moderately active. But I honestly think I just have a slow metabolism at the moment lol. I don't know.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing the strength training? Also, what program are you doing? Do you enjoy it? Depending on how long you've been running it and how it's structured, you may need to wait out the initial water retention from starting the program and wait to see more concrete results, or you might benefit from switching to a different type of program, but I'm not sure if either of those two things is the case based on the information you've provided.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    Thanks everybody for the advice I'm just gonna have to keep on going and maybe I'll just ditch the scale for while and just go off my measurements. :/@cathipa Im a barita/waitress at a really busy cafe so I'm on my feet all day running around and cleaning then I go to the gym afterwords. So I set my active to moderately active. But I honestly think I just have a slow metabolism at the moment lol. I don't know.

First, you are super slim already. Like everyone says, resistance (weight) training is key.

But about your calories. I find it nearly impossible to believe you gain weight on "around" 1600. I'm really surprised that a 23 year old set at Moderately Active would be given 1600 calories for maintenance. I'm shorter, older by four decades, I don't work, and get very little exercise and I maintain on 1700-1800. So first of all, tighten up your logging. "Around" isn't good enough to work with. You don't say you are weighing and logging accurately and your diary is locked. You're eating more than you think OR you need to see a doctor for endocrine issues.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I can relate to a lot of your posts including stats (a bit over 5'7" and trying to maintain 128-133 lbs) although I'm 40 and have a much less active job. I lost weight at 1350 but have struggled with maintenance, too, because it seems like weight jumps up even with modest calorie increases.

I do agree with @cmriverside that it really doesn't seem like you should be gaining at 1600 given your active job, stats, etc. If you're weighing and logging accurately, I agree i might want to see a dr. One other thought: Do you by any chance have PCOS? It's pretty common (about 1 in 10 women) and for many women, it causes a significantly reduced metabolism. I seem to be one of those "lucky" women so I thought I'd throw it out there.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    And I've also found calorie calculators to be all over the place for me as well. I realize they just give you a starting point and then you have to look at your own data.
  • sarahills
    sarahills Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular exercise helped me melt the fat and strength training helped tone it up. Only 30 mins of one or the other each day so no real hardship to fit in in. It's part of my daily routine like cleaning my teeth. I do it early in the morning as I know after a day at work I'd drive past that gym or ignore my exercise bike. It has become a firm habit now. Good luck. You've done well to lose your weight, don't lose sight of that fact.