Really Overweight + Jogging = Shin Splints :(

Options
dhaemon
dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
I've been on a roll for the past 2 1/2 months. I've been increasing the intensity of my walks from 4.7 KPH to 5.7 KPH and I jog uphills at around 9-10 KPH. Today near the start of my workout I started to get a severe burning pain in my shin muscle...SHIN SPLITS!!!!

So, for the rest of my workout (35 mins) my speed was slowed down to an average of 5.2 KPH and my burst jogging ceased on the level ground.

I have to say it killed my workout today as I didn't get the pouring sweat and the "OMG I can't even haul out my phone from my pocket to stop Endomondo". lol

I am a 36 Yr old male @ 394 LBS, Started out at 440 Lbs at a height of 6'2 two months ago.

Should I stop jogging and perhaps even worse, stop my fast brisk walking? :(

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I've been on a roll for the past 2 1/2 months. I've been increasing the intensity of my walks from 4.7 KPH to 5.7 KPH and I jog uphills at around 9-10 KPH. Today near the start of my workout I started to get a severe burning pain in my shin muscle...SHIN SPLITS!!!!

So, for the rest of my workout (35 mins) my speed was slowed down to an average of 5.2 KPH and my burst jogging ceased on the level ground.

I have to say it killed my workout today as I didn't get the pouring sweat and the "OMG I can't even haul out my phone from my pocket to stop Endomondo". lol

I am a 36 Yr old male @ 394 LBS, Started out at 440 Lbs at a height of 6'2 two months ago.

Should I stop jogging and perhaps even worse, stop my fast brisk walking? :(

It may be a good idea to try only doing them every other day or every 3 days if that's not good enough. The shin splints will not just go away. You may want to try the elliptical or try swimming. You honestly don't really even need to do cardio, most of your weight loss is going to come from a calorie deficit much more than it will come from cardio. It is also a good idea to start lifting heavy if you're not already
  • amy3cc
    amy3cc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try running on a track or a football field to ease the stress of pounding the pavement. I agree with AJ_G, every other day for awhile is a good idea. And yeah, if you can still get your exercise in with elliptical or bike, take a brief hiatus. Shin splints heal pretty quickly. It's a good idea to build up the muscles around your shin to avoid the issue in the future--walk on your heels and pull your toes up as hard as you can while walking for a bit every day--helps build those muscles on the front of your lower leg, which will absorb some of the shock as well. The recurrence rates will go down as you build the muscle and continue to lose the weight. Walking is fine.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When I started getting into running I would get terrible shin splints as well. I started weight lifting about a month or so ago and now I get no shin splints! So like amy3cc said, building up the leg muscles help, as well as some easy stretches you can do.