If I tell you what I'm doing will you...

Tell me what you recommend?

I've only seen the scale go up and its driving me nuts. 6 lbs since i last weighed myself.. am i really eating that poorly or what?

I have it set to Active (whichever one is just above sedentary) Im too afraid to set it any higher
Trying to eat a deficit - I have my good days and my bad days (i can open my diary if you like). I eat back calories that mfp calculates more often than not.
Doing Stronglifts 5x5 every other day (about a week and a half now) with 20-25 minutes of cardio (elliptical or treadmill) before or after.

I'm thinking of adding a little more cardio wondering if that would help?

Dietitian suggested i stopped lifting so heavy and lighten my weights so that i fail after 15 or so reps :noway: she said lifting so heavy wasn't good.

maybe my 'story' is too vague but hey i will answer whatever question is asked.
Maybe I'm not being as strict with myself as i need to be or maybe I'm just being impatient...

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If your activity level is based on your workouts, and you're eating back your workouts, you're double-counting the workouts and over-eating.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    yea, active adds calories into your plan for your exercises, that way you don't track your exercises individually. Therefore, if you are eating your calories back, and you have your profile set to active, you could be eating back calories twice....get it? If you want to put your exercises into MFP, put your lifestyle at Sedentary. That's what I did, even though I am far from it.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I agree with what the above posters have said also are you guessing what your burning or using a heart rate monitor if your guessing you could be eating way to much back
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    When you set your activity level in MFP it's just supposed to be your daily hum drum and shouldn't include exercise...then you log exercise separately and eat those calories back. If you've included your exercise activity in your activity level and are also eating them back, you are over eating.

MFP is designed for you to eat them back, but for it to work you have to set your activity level appropriately. When I was doing MFP to lose, I set my level to sedentary...even though I workout and train like a madman, I'm sedentary most of the day with a desk job. I ultimately did switch to the TDEE method when my workouts became more routine and just included those estimated calories in my activity.

I think you're confusing calorie counting methods which is resulting in over consumption.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Thanks everyone... I didn't even realize that i might be "double eating" gonna have to try exercising restraint and sticking to only the calories given rather than eating them back.

and yes i am working towards getting a good heart monitor (preferably a fit bit flex) I've just been going based on what mfp shows when i enter my exercise . i try not to eat allll of them back cause i know mfp over estimates ...

ok the verdict is in ... dont eat back calories... if that dont work reduce my calories again or up my cardio .. Thanks Guys!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    While I would agree with the double counting, by looking at your calories, you are not very different than 90% of the women on this board.

First, what is your height, weight and age? Second, do you measure your food? Is your diary complete (I see days not filled in).

Second, considering you just started 5x5, you will definitely have some water retention (which can be augmented if you are also near that time). And your dietitian is wrong. Fat loss is the same whether you do sets of 5 or sets of 15. In both scenarios, to lose a lb of fat, your calorie deficit needs to be 3500 per week. Heavier weight = stronger, lower weight = endurance.

How long is strong lift taking you? Also, any other medical conditions like hypothyriodism or pcos?

PS - HRM are useless when it comes to weight training. I don't even think it's worth the money as it's still an estimate.

pss- what is your per week weight loss goal set at?
  • mommabenefield
    While I would agree with the double counting, by looking at your calories, you are not very different than 90% of the women on this board.

First, what is your height, weight and age? Second, do you measure your food? Is your diary complete (I see days not filled in).

Second, considering you just started 5x5, you will definitely have some water retention (which can be augmented if you are also near that time). And your dietitian is wrong. Fat loss is the same whether you do sets of 5 or sets of 15. In both scenarios, to lose a lb of fat, your calorie deficit needs to be 3500 per week. Heavier weight = stronger, lower weight = endurance.

How long is strong lift taking you? Also, any other medical conditions like hypothyroidism or pcos?

5'4 - 176 - 23 ... I measure my food but i don't weigh my food, i haven't purchased a scale yet. the days not filled in are (lets be real) days im insanely embarrassed about or days i just forgot to log but i kept a mental note of what i was eating through out the day.

It's taking me around 30 minutes im not sure i just know that i don't lollygag i take about a 1 min 30 sec break between sets and that it. no meds just a multi vitamin

and unless you count pregnancy weight as a medical condition then nope....
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    get a scale, its a life saver. Im not trying to burst a bubble but if you want weight loss you need to invest in cardio. Im not saying ditch the lifting im just saying lifting weights burns a fraction of what cardio does for you.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member

How long is strong lift taking you? Also, any other medical conditions like hypothyroidism or pcos?

5'4 - 176 - 23 ... I measure my food but i don't weigh my food, i haven't purchased a scale yet. the days not filled in are (lets be real) days im insanely embarrassed about or days i just forgot to log but i kept a mental note of what i was eating through out the day.

It's taking me around 30 minutes im not sure i just know that i don't lollygag i take about a 1 min 30 sec break between sets and that it. no meds just a multi vitamin

If it would help, put your diary on private bug log those days you are insanely embarrassed about. Those days can make a big difference.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    If your lifting... your gaining muscle... have you tried measuring rather then the scales... scales never tell the whole story.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

If it would help, put your diary on private bug log those days you are insanely embarrassed about. Those days can make a big difference.

That was my first thought. I see a pattern on weekends of not logging. Trust me, I keep my diary locked and have logged my weekends that I didn't think were "that bad" and found otherwise. You can easily undo all your work all week in a weekend.

I also see that you don't have any drinks logged other than coffee or alcohol, do you drink anything else (I know I don't but just asking because a lot of people do and it can add up)?

I'd invest in a scale and make sure I'm choosing the right entries.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Thanks everyone... I didn't even realize that i might be "double eating" gonna have to try exercising restraint and sticking to only the calories given rather than eating them back.

and yes i am working towards getting a good heart monitor (preferably a fit bit flex) I've just been going based on what mfp shows when i enter my exercise . i try not to eat allll of them back cause i know mfp over estimates ...

ok the verdict is in ... dont eat back calories... if that dont work reduce my calories again or up my cardio .. Thanks Guys!

I have a great HRM I got at walmart for $50. It's a great starter one! (i've used my for years now, only replaced it once after i lost the chest strap. otherwise, it would have lasted just fine!).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    If your lifting... your gaining muscle... have you tried measuring rather then the scales... scales never tell the whole story.

Honestly, it is really hard to gain muscle on a deficit. Even newbie gains wouldn't add up to 6 lbs. For a female who is actually trying to gain muscle, i.e. eating above maintenance and lifting heavy, even 6 lbs is an insane amount in a short time.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    What's your height, weight, and age? What is your calorie level? Are you measuring your food with a scale? Are you eating back exercise calories?

Also keep in mind, a HRM is ONLY useful for monitoring steady state cardio, for HIIT, lifting, even crossfit, it does a poor job often being off as much as 40%... (which is about as much as the various exercise formulas are off generally.)

Edit found part: 5'4 - 176 - 23 Female... so...
    Basal Metabolic Rate: 1543.30
    Sedentary Rate: 1845.96
    Light Activity Rate: 2107.47
    Moderate Activity Rate: 2384.36
    Very Active Rate: 2645.87
    Extremely Active Rate: 2922.77

For weight loss you're talk -500 calories per lb per week. You also mentioned you don't log days you're embarrassed of... those are the MOST important days to log. Good, bad, ugly, you log it. Every thing that passes your lips including drinks that have calories of any variety. If you don't log you have nothing to fall back on if things don't go exactly right to evaluate what you've done correctly and incorrectly. It also dramatically helps to weigh, packaging is often off as much as 20%-30%.
  • cmisaacs66
    cmisaacs66 Posts: 2 Member
    HI,

I have found that what this site sets as my daily calories works, if i keep the deficit to around 200 to 300 I consistently loose weight. Almost 70 lbs so far. I exercise daily plus have an active job. I am no expert but this works for me.

Catherine
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    What is your day job? If it isn't something active then chose Sedentary for your activity level. Add your exercise separately. Lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories and a HRM isn't accurate for that either. More cardio and less lifting may help but you still need to be accurate with your burn if you plan to eat it back.

Weigh and measure ALL your food and log EVERYTHING. You can easily wipe out a deficit in a day or 2 of bad eating. Not logging it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    I'd cut way back on the empty calories. keep some in but try to eat more whole foods. more vegetables and fruits and less processed stuff.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member

The Fitbit is not a heart rate monitor. It's a general activity monitor that is worn 24/7. A heart rate monitor is worn during cardio to track how hard the heart is working and recovering after exercise.
  • mommabenefield
    Thank you guys! Literally everything you guys responded with is very helpful!! taking all the advice and using it! :flowerforyou:

I didnt know fitbit flex wasnt and HRM - see thats why i need to pay more attention lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Honestly, it is really hard to gain muscle on a deficit. Even newbie gains wouldn't add up to 6 lbs. For a female who is actually trying to gain muscle, i.e. eating above maintenance and lifting heavy, even 6 lbs is an insane amount in a short time.

This is true - but, if the lifting and/or cardio are new, she could be retaining water for repairs. I've gained 4 lbs. overnight when starting a new workout program.

Oh, and OP, keep a log even on the not-so-ideal days. It'll help. If you log everything, there's no mental fudgery on how much you're eating. If nothing else, you can see why things aren't working and try to compensate the next week.