Jason Fung's Book: The Obesity Code, Thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything that's in the book is available in his YouTube presentations and interviews. That would be easy enough to check out to see...'is this something that I'm even interested in'?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm really excited to see what "the science" says in 20 years time. I'm sure everything will be turned on it's *kitten* again...
  • rouhnaz
    rouhnaz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you.
  • Piranascuisine
    Piranascuisine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jason Fung is a dirty word round here.

Why?
  • Dabbadooey
    Dabbadooey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I am not mistaken, he doesn't think CICO works.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    If CICO worked - why the massive obesity? Must be that everyone has no willpower to stop stuffing their faces.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    If CICO worked - why the massive obesity? Must be that everyone has no willpower to stop stuffing their faces.

That's pretty much exactly the problem though....

That and/or not realizing how caloric their choices are. People are drinking 500+ calorie Starbucks drinks, driving to work, sitting at a desk for 8 hours where they usually order lunch and have treats from the break room, then they go home and sit more. They don't realize they eat far above their calorie needs and that drink calories also count. With the standard American diet it's so easy to consume more calories than you burn.

Nailed it! Or blame willpower which is easier.
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    gettingreallyfedupnow Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dabbadooey wrote: »

In the book, he explains that CICO does work, but the CO part is far more complex than current models allow for. He explains how CO is influenced by insulin levels. I can't explain several chapters worth of science in a couple of sentences, but (for type 2 diabetics at least), it explains how CO varies due to insulin levels, which in turn vary due to a number of factors, including carb content of food, whether the food also contains fibre (shown to decrease the effect of carbs on insulin levels) and time spent fasting. It's worth remembering that all of his work has been done with type 2 diabetics with insulin resistance, so will naturally be of limited use to those without these conditions.

• gettingreallyfedupnow
    gettingreallyfedupnow Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add, he also explains the effect that insulin levels have on appetite, explaining why for a lot of people it is the sticking to a diet that is the hard bit. Let's face it, we all understand CICO at a basic level, but here we are trying to lose weight because we take in calories for so many more reasons than just making up one half of an energy equation. All of these methods tell one part of a very complex story.
  • muri72
    muri72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love his book! It is great and worth the price to purchase!
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    muri72 wrote: »

I enjoyed the book too. I don't understand the hatred here for it. Most of the hatred seems to come from members that have not read his book. They've just decided that it's not for them This extreme dislike reminds me of when low-carb diets became fashionable and so many people freaked. 95% of the book is very reasonable and easy to follow, for me. It certainly is not for everyone. No diet will ever be for everyone. You need to find your own path and follow that one. Doesn't mean that you need to hate all the other paths that are not for you. I'm all for any path that makes people happy with themselves.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a good read.
    I have practiced intermittent fasting on and off since I started my weight loss journey and it has helped me with cravings and appetite control and helped me lose 57lbs.
    I'm not taking any 'diet' approach as gospel - I take something from each one and apply what I think could be sustainable.
    What works to lose weight is CICO - so I disagree with Fung on that point.
    But whatever helps you to maintain a calorie deficit is all good with me.
    And IF does just that - for me.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Agree! I read the book, and worth the price...although, I did just borrow it from the library. I did not sense a lot of quackery as it is sometimes labeled here. I'd give it ****
    muri72 wrote: »

I enjoyed the book too. I don't understand the hatred here for it. Most of the hatred seems to come from members that have not read his book. They've just decided that it's not for them This extreme dislike reminds me of when low-carb diets became fashionable and so many people freaked. 95% of the book is very reasonable and easy to follow, for me. It certainly is not for everyone. No diet will ever be for everyone. You need to find your own path and follow that one. Doesn't mean that you need to hate all the other paths that are not for you. I'm all for any path that makes people happy with themselves.

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Good point!
    Dabbadooey wrote: »

In the book, he explains that CICO does work, but the CO part is far more complex than current models allow for. He explains how CO is influenced by insulin levels. I can't explain several chapters worth of science in a couple of sentences, but (for type 2 diabetics at least), it explains how CO varies due to insulin levels, which in turn vary due to a number of factors, including carb content of food, whether the food also contains fibre (shown to decrease the effect of carbs on insulin levels) and time spent fasting. It's worth remembering that all of his work has been done with type 2 diabetics with insulin resistance, so will naturally be of limited use to those without these conditions.