Fruit sugar

Options
lulabe11
lulabe11 Posts: 12 Member
How do I max out on sugars for the day with two pieces of fruit? I am 10g over today, but I've only had an apple and an orange. Is that right?

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I do not worry about my sugars here- esp. from fruit or veggies like carrots or sweet potatoes- they are natural- unless you are diabetic or your doctor wants you to be concerned about sugars-
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's about right. People often eat more sugar than they expected. Some can handle it well. but some don't. If you have insulin resistance, then sugar (and carbs) should be taken into account. If not, you are probably fine to go over your sugar limit in fruit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even track it anymore, instead I track fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lulabe11 wrote: »
    How do I max out on sugars for the day with two pieces of fruit? I am 10g over today, but I've only had an apple and an orange. Is that right?

The lowest sugar goal MFP will give you is 45 g -- 15% of total calories and 1200 calories.

Depending on the size, the apple and orange could be quite high in sugar, but I don't see how they'd get you to 55. (And if they did I think that shows that overall diet is more important than the specific sugar number -- are you getting a diverse diet with enough protein, vegetables, fiber, healthy fats? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.)

More likely there's something wrong with the entries, you are getting substantial sugar from other foods too (which can be fine), or you have changed the default goal for some other goal (or have put in an extra low calorie goal). Sometimes people put in the 25 g they read about for sugar, but that's intended to be ADDED sugar (and relates to controlling calories and eating a nutrient dense diet, not something bad about sugar in and of itself). It doesn't fit with MFP's inclusion of all sugar.