Runger Solutions?

Options
So how do you guys navigate runger? I always pack snacks but when the intense hunger hits after heavy workout days, I'm tempted to get additional snacks. How do you fill the hunger without overdoing it?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can't run more than 10 miles a week on any sort of deficit!!

I am currently just about holding on with a deficit of 200 cals per day half marathon training... it's tough!

Getting enough fat and protein helps I find.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I would move a few calories around to eat a little bigger after your harder workouts, make sure its packed with the things that provide you with satiety. Protein, healthy fats and fiber. Perhaps consider volume foods you like as well.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I try to make sure I have protein at every sitting. I might start adding an extra scoop of protein to my shakes and maybe I'll add avocados to my snacks for tomorrow. I don't get much healthy fat. I'm always so hesitant to put any unplanned food in my mouth when I know I'm having post gym hunger. Don't want to undo my work with poor or hasty choices!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks guys! I try to make sure I have protein at every sitting. I might start adding an extra scoop of protein to my shakes and maybe I'll add avocados to my snacks for tomorrow. I don't get much healthy fat. I'm always so hesitant to put any unplanned food in my mouth when I know I'm having post gym hunger. Don't want to undo my work with poor or hasty choices!

Underfueling won't help though. How big a deficit do you have?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I would move a few calories around to eat a little bigger after your harder workouts, make sure its packed with the things that provide you with satiety. Protein, healthy fats and fiber. Perhaps consider volume foods you like as well.

This.

Also, you're drinking calories in your protein shake. They do absolutely nothing for my hunger unless loaded with about 5000 calories of other stuff..... So perhaps try switching that out for something you can chew, with a bit of volume, protein and fat.
  • missjazminenicole
    Options

My calculated calories says I'm at maintenance at about 1960 or something like that. I try to eat at 1200 net. Last week I did about 1400 consistently on the food side, and then burned an additional 700 calories a day with exercise. So I'm shooting for 500 down with food (at least) and 700 with exercise. I do vary from day to day but I am really focusing on consistency right now. I'm not afraid to hit the 1400 range but I am afraid to have a craving and get a 500+ calorie snack. I like pastries lol.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

My calculated calories says I'm at maintenance at about 1960 or something like that. I try to eat at 1200 net. Last week I did about 1400 consistently on the food side, and then burned an additional 700 calories a day with exercise. So I'm shooting for 500 down with food (at least) and 700 with exercise. I do vary from day to day but I am really focusing on consistency right now. I'm not afraid to hit the 1400 range but I am afraid to have a craving and get a 500+ calorie snack. I like pastries lol.

What are your stats?
  • missjazminenicole
    Options

What are your stats?

5'4'
    25 yo
    sw: 230
    cw: 190
    gw: 155 most likely
    mini goal: 165
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    I also workout m-f for 40 mins to 90 mins. This is my sixth week of that. I'm doing couch to 5k and also hiit every day. weights, planks, push ups, mostly running and stairs, oh and a lot of boxing the heavy bag in hiit format 45 sec, 20 sec rest, usually 10 to 20 rounds. Also walking 2 miles on my lunch hour. All of this usually brings me just above my 10,000 step goal
  • TavistockToad
    Options

What are your stats?

5'4'
    25 yo
    sw: 230
    cw: 190
    gw: 155 most likely
    mini goal: 165

Net 1460 should be fine, as suggested up thread, check your fat, protein and fibre intake.

I also make sure I've eaten a couple of hundred calories extra the day before my long run, which seems to help performance and hunger
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    So you're eating 1400 gross? And exercising 700 calories away (which is likely inflated, I've been your size, I didn't burn that much unless I really went at it for more than an hour). You are likely eating too little though. What is your current rate of loss?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I also workout m-f for 40 mins to 90 mins. This is my sixth week of that. I'm doing couch to 5k and also hiit every day. weights, planks, push ups, mostly running and stairs, oh and a lot of boxing the heavy bag in hiit format 45 sec, 20 sec rest, usually 10 to 20 rounds. Also walking 2 miles on my lunch hour. All of this usually brings me just above my 10,000 step goal

C25k and HIIT every day seems like overkill?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    HIIT isn't recommended to be done every day. Do you intend to keep up this level of exercise for the rest of your life?
  • missjazminenicole
    Options

C25k and HIIT every day seems like overkill?

i only do c25k 3 times a week. So if i do c25k, I'll do ten or 20 mins of hiit doing something else. The other days I just do hiit.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Can you consider eating around the 1460 calorie range and a couple hundred of your exercise calories back on these very intense exercise days.

Eating in a calorie deficit and intense exercise puts a strain on your body and fueling it properly to handle what you are doing to it is a must. This should all but help you with weight loss, hunger issues and being able to fuel properly to handle all the activities you do in a day.
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    So you're eating 1400 gross? And exercising 700 calories away (which is likely inflated, I've been your size, I didn't burn that much unless I really went at it for more than an hour). You are likely eating too little though. What is your current rate of loss?

It's taken me 8 weeks to lose the last 10 pounds. So just about turtle speed lol. Or average "healthy loss" according to mfp. This week I dropped about two pounds with putting a heavier emphasis on calories in and calories out. Trying to hit a certain exercise calorie number and also capping my calorie intake. Drinking a gallon of water. Hitting my 10,000 steps. All of this is a lot of work lol
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

It's taken me 8 weeks to lose the last 10 pounds. So just about turtle speed lol. Or average "healthy loss" according to mfp. This week I dropped about two pounds with putting a heavier emphasis on calories in and calories out. Trying to hit a certain exercise calorie number and also capping my calorie intake. Drinking a gallon of water. Hitting my 10,000 steps. All of this is a lot of work lol

This is an excellent rate of loss. This is not turtle speed, it may be to you. Remember eating too little and faster rate of loss is never the answer to building a healthy body! Consider my points above.

Also weight loss is NOT linear. There will be weeks when it is slower than others and maybe none at all. Patience is your friend while you are trying to obtain a new healthy lifestyle and build a new body!
  • missjazminenicole
    Options

This is an excellent rate of loss. This is not turtle speed, it may be to you. Remember eating too little and faster rate of loss is never the answer to building a healthy body! Consider my points above.

Also weight loss is NOT linear. There will be weeks when it is slower than others and maybe none at all. Patience is your friend while you are trying to obtain a new healthy lifestyle and build a new body!

I know, I've been at this for over a year now. I know it's a healthy rate of loss lol. I just hate that it takes so long. Just chipping away at it everyday anyway.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I know, I've been at this for over a year now. I know it's a healthy rate of loss lol. I just hate that it takes so long. Just chipping away at it everyday anyway.

I understand and we all have been right where you are! If only there was a magic bullet in lieu of hard work, lots of sweat and a few tears! You got this, just take care of your yourself. :):)