Logging Exercise and Protien Shakes

Options
I do Insanity Max 30 for exercise, but I never track it on my diary. I also drink protein shakes as a post work out meal, but never log it. Should I be logging them? My theory is that I am AT LEAST working off the calories in that shake...

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I guess if it works for you. I suppose it would depend on the calories in the shake and how interested you are in having an accurate diary. I assume you're not tracking macros so that's not an issue.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I log everything, without exception. Protein shakes can be massive calorie bombs and you may not be burning as many calories as you think. The only way to be certain is to use a HRM and commit to accurate tracking.
  • rlovell456
    rlovell456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    True your weight will tell you if you're burning enough calories, but you may want to track the source of those calories. Too much of some stuff, especially sugar, and too little other can be detrimental without necessarily causing a change in weight.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I would log the exercise and protein shake. You might be surprised the amount of calories in the shake vs your estimated burn.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd log them both.

How do you know if you've hit your protein goal without logging your protein? :/
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    rlovell456 wrote: »
    True your weight will tell you if you're burning enough calories, but you may want to track the source of those calories. Too much of some stuff, especially sugar, and too little other can be detrimental without necessarily causing a change in weight.

How would too much sugar be detrimental? Unless you don't brush your teeth of course.

• PaulGDuncan
    PaulGDuncan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depends on your school of thought. Raw sugars, such as in fruits and by one way of thinking, can add up but are "okay" sugars in a certain school. OTOH, refined sugars, or those found in non-raw form are considered bad as they typically bind far more chemicals with them than do raw sugars. When you take in refined sugars you are taking in much more than simple calories, hence the comments on watching sugar intake.

Sports drinks, protein drinks, protein bars, dairy, etc. all contain some form of sugar. Often, with protein drinks/bars, the amount of sugar >> protein. This can play havoc on your blood sugar, moods, etc. It will also derail any Insanity workout, as the amount of calories in a shake will be huge compared to the calories burnt.

Personally, I eat 3-4 fruits a day and if these are with bananas, can easily hit my max sugar/carb targets. I try to stay away from any refined sugars. I like natural peanut butter to get my fat (no added sugar).

I was a beta tester for Bodymedia before they were bought by Jawbone. They had a device that I wore on my upper arm and it measured calorie burn as a direct function of skin wetness (galvanic response). I did it while doing the Insanity and P90X videos. It was very accurate, especially when I matched it against my bike rides (I have a power meter on my bike that measures in Kjoules). My burn was less than or around 400 calories during those workouts, and with a Beachbody recovery shake, I could easily negate the caloric burn of the workout.

In the end, the scale will tell you whether you need to track the workout/shake. If nothing else, be aware of what "one scoop" means in skake-land.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Depends on your school of thought. Raw sugars, such as in fruits and by one way of thinking, can add up but are "okay" sugars in a certain school. OTOH, refined sugars, or those found in non-raw form are considered bad as they typically bind far more chemicals with them than do raw sugars. When you take in refined sugars you are taking in much more than simple calories, hence the comments on watching sugar intake.

Sports drinks, protein drinks, protein bars, dairy, etc. all contain some form of sugar. Often, with protein drinks/bars, the amount of sugar >> protein. This can play havoc on your blood sugar, moods, etc. It will also derail any Insanity workout, as the amount of calories in a shake will be huge compared to the calories burnt.

Personally, I eat 3-4 fruits a day and if these are with bananas, can easily hit my max sugar/carb targets. I try to stay away from any refined sugars. I like natural peanut butter to get my fat (no added sugar).

I was a beta tester for Bodymedia before they were bought by Jawbone. They had a device that I wore on my upper arm and it measured calorie burn as a direct function of skin wetness (galvanic response). I did it while doing the Insanity and P90X videos. It was very accurate, especially when I matched it against my bike rides (I have a power meter on my bike that measures in Kjoules). My burn was less than or around 400 calories during those workouts, and with a Beachbody recovery shake, I could easily negate the caloric burn of the workout.

In the end, the scale will tell you whether you need to track the workout/shake. If nothing else, be aware of what "one scoop" means in skake-land.

Can you clarify what "bind far more chemicals" means in this context? What chemicals are being bound to the sugar and what consequence does the binding have to our body?