Plummeting self esteem

Options
So I've lost a little more than 50 pounds, but as you can imagine I've got quite a bit of loose, saggy skin on my arms, thighs, and lower abdomen. I almost liked the fatter me better. I'm rotating my strength training through all of the muscle groups, but not seeing the results I'd like. I still have about 50 pounds more to lose, but will the skin problem get better or worse with further loss? Is surgery going to be the only answer?

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Loose skin will be an issue the faster you lose the weight. It will tighten up some (how much I can't tell you) but I know applying a cocoa butter lotion will help some. I think the "hair, skin, & nail" vitamins can't hurt either.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Fat gets soft and squishy as you lose weight, mostly from increased blood flow. So it will droop more. Loose skin is krinkly like paper. Keep losing the fat and it will get better!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You're only half way to your goal, so there is still a lot of fat there to go. You cant really make that judgement at this point. I saw a dramatic transformation in the last 10-15 lbs! I still have some saggy parts, but they're beautiful compared to 150 extra lbs of fat.
  • kimmeyjo
    kimmeyjo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I somewhat know how you feel. I've lost 40lbs once before (unfortunately gained it all back), but like you I liked how I looked way better when I was overweight. Seeing the saggy skin and my sagging boobs made me think I looked worse. I may have looked worse under my clothes, but I felt better and I looked great with clothes on. Lol. I believe for most women we will never be satisfied with the way we feel about ourselves. We will always want to change something, but for me it's way more important to be healthier so I can be active in my children's lives than how I look underneath my clothes.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are there things that are easier for you to do because of your weight loss? Focus on those things. It's normal to get discouraged sometimes. Just keep plugging on, it will get better. And if you hit your goal, and really hate it, it won't be hard to gain the weight again. You will have loose skin, but it will mostly just be ugly to you. I had a friend that had lost over 100 pounds, she looked amazing, yes she had loose skin, but I would never have guessed she was that overweight to begin with, and she was beautiful!