Lifting and calorie deficit... just spinning my wheels?

Options
So I'm in a calorie deficit and I strength train full body usually 3 days a week and dona HIIT or run the other 3.... I'm not looking to build muscle but rather stay toned and not gain fat. If I keep doing what I'm doing will this continue to work or will I just be spinning my wheels... I guess body gets use to it? Won't build ANY muscle? I don't really have a plan for the future just doing what I have been for the last 6-8 months, I have good muscle in my arms and legs just wondering if it will just stay the same. Any of this make sense

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    No, you're not spinning your wheels. You can build strength while on a calorie deficit.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host - 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is not only done in order to gain muscle. You also do it to build and maintain strength and to maintain muscle. In addition, especially for women, the bone strengthening benefits are a plus.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Lifting weights is not only done in order to gain muscle. You also do it to build and maintain strength and to maintain muscle. In addition, especially for women, the bone strengthening benefits are a plus.

This. You're not spinning your wheels, especially if your program is sound. If you have fat to lose, it's what must be done.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you are in deficit you'll continue to lose fat. Even if you don't grow muscle, more muscle will be revealed as the fat comes off. Your appearance will be be like you're getting more toned/muscular.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Will it really? Cuz I have been at/just below maintenience for many months - almost a year with consistent lifting schedule- and while my arms and abs are looking good I can't seem to shift the fat from my thighs. Not a whole lot of revealing muscle underneath.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lifting at a deficit is great it helps retain muscle and changes your body composition as you lose.

However.. as you get very close to your goal weight what can happen is no matter how much lifting you do.. you may not have the muscle base to support a leaner look. For example if you wanted defined abs or something. You can end up looking like a smaller version of yourself now OR if you keep losing your body can actually start to use some muscle for fuel. At that point you would have to build up rather than down.

I don't know your stats or goals but just keep that in mind if you aren't seeing the results you desire. If you are, carry on!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    Will it really? Cuz I have been at/just below maintenience for many months - almost a year with consistent lifting schedule- and while my arms and abs are looking good I can't seem to shift the fat from my thighs. Not a whole lot of revealing muscle underneath.

You likely are undermuscled. Aren't you something like 99 lbs and 4'10"? If you want to visible muscle you need to take time to build some.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    jerb00 wrote: »

You likely are undermuscled. Aren't you something like 99 lbs and 4'10"? If you want to visible muscle you need to take time to build some.

Thanks for the response. Yeah. Others have said that, too. Just surprised a bit that all my years of dance wouldn't have given me a good muscle base. Working on it...