Fitnesss and cancer

Options
This is the third time I have come into my fitness pal. Each time I have had a modicum of success. This time is entirely different.
In December of 2013 I was diagnosed with Primary Peritoneal cancer. I then had surgery to remove a tumor, my appendices, a radical hysterectomy along with debulking. Following this, I had chemotherapy beginning in January of 2014. I completed that cycle in the fall of the same year. In June of 2015 I was diagnosed with metastatic lymphoma and treated with another round of chemo. They suspended treatment in November of that year because the side effects were getting severe. In just a little over a year, I started back on chemo in December of 2016. Several setbacks occured, so I am still in treatment at this time.
I participated in a wonderful program in the spring of 2015, called "Livestrong at the Y". It is sponsored and run by our local YMCA. I did not realize at the time how weak I was. Last fall, they offered a "mini" program. It entailed 1hour, twice a week, offered to any alumni of Livestrong. I signed up, and that one program has propelled me into a new way of looking at and handling my health.
I now attempt to be in the gym as many weekdays as my strength allows. I put it that way because I let my body dictate my attendance.
For those of you who have never been through chemo, that may not make sense. Some days, my body is so weak that just performing daily tasks, ie. showering, making a meal, doing simple housework is all I can manage. Some days I sleep nearly all day. If I have one or more busy days, I will almost certainly pay for it on the following day with fatigue and/or weakness.
So on the days I feel good, which are most days, I get out and go to the gym. I do my best to complete >30 minutes of cardio. I then do strengthening on either my upper or lower body.
As I progress further into treatment, I will become weaker. This is "normal" when receiving chemo. I will, however, do what I can to continue my workouts. I am also a type 2 diabetic, and my gym routine has vastly improved my glucose readings.
I had been working only part time all this while. In October of 2016, I attempted to return full time. Much to my chagrin, I was not able, and am currently disabled. I pray that at some point in the future I will be able to work again.
I post this for everyone.
If you are healthy and in the gym and you see someone like myself, try to remember what you have read here. That person may be giving every ounce of energy to complete what looks to you to be a simple routine. Give them a smile, or a thumb's up.
If you are also a cancer patient or survivor, know that you can do it!! Don't let anyone stop you.....especially not yourself. If you can only do it once a week, then do it with as much muster as you've got! Let your body tell you what works for you.
There are probably people at the Y I go to who think I am nuts. On more than one occasion I have lifted my hands in the boxer's winning pose when I completed my routine. I smile and walk out of the fitness center with my head held high. Success is different things to different folks!
And by the way, I'm losing weight in all this too!
Life is good......

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    "So on the days I feel good, which are most days..." "I smile and walk out of the fitness center with my head held high."

So glad to hear it! :) Fitness is a huge part of my life - it's therapeutic in that it helps me deal with stress. I'm not really as happy (or healthy) when I'm not active and working toward my goals. It sounds like you are very motivated, and working out is therapeutic for you, too! Don't worry about what others are thinking. They probably aren't really thinking much of anything. Most people are too worried about their own problems to do more than just take notice and then promptly forget about you.

I usually think nice thoughts when I see other people at the gym, on the trails, etc. I don't care how old or large or slow or clumsy they are. We've all struggled at something in life. I'm just proud of them for getting out there and making the effort. And it's not for me to judge their level of effort, since I have no idea what their individual circumstances are. So many healthy, capable people just sit around and do nothing, wasting their opportunities...if you're active at all, you're already miles ahead of those couch potatoes! ;)

Keep up the good work, and may your treatments go well! <3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,758 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you! I went through cancer treatment (including chemo) at a time when exercise was discouraged. I'm glad that has changed, because I know the research supports it as beneficial in a variety of ways.

Just wanted to post on your thread to let you know I'm sending well-wish beams and encouragement waves at you as well as I'm able, over the internet, from a distance.

I won't tell you to stay strong, though - you've got that covered!