Losing weight in college

Options
2»

Replies

• msan808
    msan808 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! For anyone interested I created a group called College & Fitness, and it is right up your alley. I am currently in college and struggling with my weight, it's definitely a challenge. Let's all help each other!
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    impossible to lose weight while in college? if that is how you feel, just wait til you have job, family, relationship, stress and other adult issues to deal with - it will really be "impossible" then!

Very patronizing.

'adult issues'

You sound very high almighty.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    jessVanL wrote: »
    I'm starting to think it's impossible

impossible to lose weight while in college? if that is how you feel, just wait til you have job, family, relationship, stress and other adult issues to deal with - it will really be "impossible" then!

Being in college doesn't mean you don't also have a job, and I find most people in college are adults so do have adult issues to deal with. As for stress, being in education is stress central!

my point being - things only get harder from that point on. and TONS of people have managed to lose weight while in college. there is nothing about being in college that prevents you from eating at a calorie deficit.

That's a pretty blanket statement to be throwing out there, my life is a lot less stressful now I'm an "Adult" than when I was in my tweens. I like many others, still had a job, financial worries, family issues and relationships to deal with at that age as well as study.

People come to the forums for help and comments like this aren't constructive, it puts a lot of people off asking questions again.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Very patronizing.

'adult issues'

I was addressing the person who said it is literally "impossible" to lose weight in college...that is simply not the case
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Very patronizing.

'adult issues'

I was addressing the person who said it is literally "impossible" to lose weight in college...that is simply not the case

'It's not impossible' would have been just fine
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Whilst it may not be impossible, if you don't know how to achieve it, it can feel impossible.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Do you have a meal plan? I actually lost weight because I was only eating at the dining hall and didn't buy any soda for my dorm room.

If you have a meal plan and eat at the dining hall, my recommendation is to make sure your plate is half full of fruits and veggies, a quarter of protein (eggs/meat/etc) and then use that last quarter for 'fun thing'- the crepe station, or a single piece pf pizza for example.

Don't buy a ton of crap food for the dorms- if you want something bad you'll have to walk to a vending machine to get it. That was a great help "Do I really wanna walk a building over to get a bag of chips?"

And if you have a gym with equipment then use it! I miss the days when I had a free gym. If you professors have podcasts or videos you can watch/listen while you run for a half hour. I personally can't read while on an elliptical, it makes me motion sick, but if you can, read your text books or notes.

Good Luck!