Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any one else gain weight from medication?

So I am on several medications that "make you gain weight" as a side effect. Whether that is from the pills themselves or from maybe not noticing that I would eat more.
Does anyone know?

Also is it harder for anyone else on meds to lose weight and what would your suggestions be.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    They can increase appetite but you still lose weight by eating less calories.

Track your food on here to help you stay in a deficit.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Some medications not only increase appetite but interfere with metabolism and fat distribution.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I would think it depends on the medication. I take an antipsychotic med that greatly increased my appetite to a weight gain over 100 pounds. I absolutely love being sane, but the food cravings can get unreal. Losing weight is always a challenge, for everyone, we all have obstacles. I always make room for a nice snack in the evening, which helps to satisfy the craving and when I get that nagging must eat all the food feeling I just have to remind myself it's the medication, not me, and ignore it.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Hormonal medications can increase your weight
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    edited March 2017
    What jennybeartv said. My friend since being on antipsychotic meds for 4 years has gained 80 lbs and much of it is in her stomach where she looks 8 months pregnant. But she says she hasn't gained all that much, but she will only take headshot of herself. LOL She is not there yet wanting to count calories, too much work she says. But at least she is "normal" and working. I hope one day they will come out with medication that can help without this affects on the body.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    There's a few medications that can cause metabolic disorders such as IR but for the most part weight gain as a side effect generally means as increase in appetite.

Tracking your intake should mitigate or stop that.

I was on an anti-depressant that made me crave sugar something wicked and at the time I just satisfied it. To the tune of 14lbs in a month, yikes! So I came off that. Later I was on Seroquel/quetiapine and again my appetite increased along with the sedating effects making me move less (and this is one that reportedly can cause IR though that didn't happen to me). But it was whilst on this medication that I started to lose by tracking my intake. I then tapered off but didn't notice a drop in appetite, I think my new habits made it unnoticeable.

I'm now titrating on a whole other medication that can appetite increase or decrease but again, I haven't noticed either of those things and I've been tracking the entire time to keep my food consumption under control regardless.