Hill running - building or burning muscle?

Options
Interested to hear what people's experience/knowledge is with hill running. I currently don't do a lot of resistance work beyond the (I imagine fairly small) bodyweight benefits I get from yoga, but I live in a very hilly area and can't avoid a significant amount of uphill running when I get out 4-5 times a week: usually 30-45 minutes x 4 and one 60-80 minute long run.

I am losing weight for the time being so it might just be revealing muscle by virtue of fat disappearing. But I have noticed my thighs in particular getting a lot more defined, more than I've ever had before when I've used the gym. Disclaimer: I have never done a "proper" free weights regime, but many moons ago I did spend a lot of time on the weight machines.

So how likely is it that I'm actually building muscle and will I continue to build/maintain if I continue to increase the amount/intensity of uphill running I'm doing?

(This is partly for interest and partly because I'm planning to start some more structured bodyweight training and would like to understand if I am already getting some resistance benefit from my runs. If I can multitask when exercising and cut down time spent sweating, all the better ;) )

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Temporarily, yes but in rather limited amounts.

Hill running can impose the leg muscles to a suitable amount of stress for adaptations to occur.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While hill running is great for building strength and power in your legs, (and maybe a little bit of muscle) it's certainly not a substitute for proper strength training. You will have to work your legs more than just that to build any significant amount of muscle. That said, hills are a great compliment to other leg strength training.

It sounds like you are just taking on the hills as they come during your regular runs, you could also try a hill repeat day 1 a week or every couple weeks.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The resistance involved in hill running is nowhere the same as that during resistance training-one is not a substitute for the other. There will be some strength increase as the muscles adapt to the demands of running hills, but that adaptation will only occur to the extent needed for those demands. Then it will stop. Unless you can find continuously progressively steeper and longer hills, which means you might have to move a lot.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I regularly run hills near me, but last weekend I also did a short strength routine including squats with just the bar. My hamstrings are aching WAY more than running up hills causes - hills tend to get me in the quads and calves.

apparently cycling is a great way of training legs for running up hills, but you'll need to add in strength-training for all-round muscle definition
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    From a trail runners perspective, hillwork improves your core and helps improve strength, but not bulk (in very broad terms). With respect to seeing muscle definition, that's most likely to be as a result of your bodyfat percentage improving. I did see a significant improvement in my bf% when I started running, with swimming and cycling as cross training.

All that said, there are things that will complement the running, particularly around core strength and stability. Bodyweight work is enough, it's my preference, but if you're after increased bulk then you'll make faster progress with added weight.

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts! I'm definitely going to be doing bodyweight exercises as I currently have neither the time to go to a gym (well I do, but I'd rather spend it with my family), nor the space for weights. Hopefully starting You Are Your Own Gym tonight, assuming this is one of the nights my toddler decides sleep is a good thing!
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've used YAYOG, it's a decent plan.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You know you're getting in shape when you start thinking hills are fun and seek them out.
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    You know you're getting in shape when you start thinking hills are fun and seek them out.

Haha, I love a good hill! I also love totally letting go on the way down again :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hill running really helps build your cardio and muscle endurance more than muscle bulk. If you are interested in bulk, look for something different. It's also good at building proper running form, but if you want bulk you can get that from sprints too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Another aspect for hill running beyond the improved cardio going up.

The eccentric loading going down. Probably only 1 x weekly is needed, and consider the day after for recovery, so rest or easy flat run.

Now that can cause some muscle strength gains, and you'll likely feel the DOMS like lifting would give you.

Here is one such program.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/three-tips-for-running-downhill

For some more use of your uphills. But there is section in here for downhill use too.
    https://www.brianmac.co.uk/hilltrain.htm

• maryjaquiss
    Options
    Thank you for those links, never really thought about using downhill running as a specific part of training.

I do try to include some sprint intervals a couple of times a week as well so maybe that is helping. I am also blessed with naturally bulky thighs, which I hated when younger but am very proud of now I'm older and wiser ;) Lately I've noticed though that I'm developing a significant 'curve' at the back of my thigh (sorry, my anatomical knowledge isn't good enough to tell you what muscle it is!) which was what made me post this thread in the first place :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Probably only 1 x weekly is needed, and consider the day after for recovery, so rest or easy flat run.

Hmm, the thought process is "shall I run on trails, or roads today?"...

No contest really :)
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    To be honest I don't have much choice about the hills! My house is halfway up a hill so unless I drive somewhere to go for a run - which frankly seems like a complete waste of time - I'm going to get a good stretch of incline at the start or end. Trail running near me is actually quite a bit flatter than the road running, though it's all got noticeable ups and downs. Added bonus though - went running at my parents' house in a completely different, very flat area and got some great PBs!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I probably don't need to add anything. But I used to run hills (mountains, really) quite a lot. I found that running uphill can and does improve and expand your lung capacity in a way that it is impossible to duplicate on flat ground.
    I think it made my legs stronger too, though it did not make them any bigger.
    My brother, however, used to do the same runs when he was 14-17 years, at the same time that he was playing competitive soccer and therefore sprinted a lot. His legs got HUGE. He did not lift weights.
    So, it seems that if you are an adolescent boy with a lot of testosterone, and you keep your mileage on your runs to about 5 miles, maximum, then.....