Should i eat more?

Options
I am trying to lose weight but also at the same time build muscle, the scales haven't moved in a few weeks but I have lost a couple inches around my waist. When trying to build muscle do you need to eat more? Or can i eat the same 1200 because my main aim is weight loss, i have another 28lbs to go! Also i am quite hungry most the time which has lead me to binging and eating all my exercise calories,. Which isn't good because i exercise a lot! Any tips?

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Laptop deficit? So really what i am doing now is stupid? I do 30 mins cardio a day try stay in deficit then in evening do strength training. So really I should lose the weight first then try build muscle?
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Also i am quite hungry most the time which has lead me to binging and eating all my exercise calories,. Which isn't good because i exercise a lot! Any tips?

Plan to eat them. There is no point in eating so low you're bringing yourself to binging. Do allow more calories as a start instead...

• Jayj180894
    Options
    I do eat my exercise calories but try to eat only 50-75% most days but some day i go the full whammy!
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    Like i said i always eat them, when i say binge i mean i end up eating all of them rather than 50-75% not a proper binge.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    Anyway I'm on a 12000kcal diet, my scales haven't moved but i do a lot of strength training. Am i building muscle? Or do i need to eat more to do that???
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Laptop deficit? So really what i am doing now is stupid? I do 30 mins cardio a day try stay in deficit then in evening do strength training. So really I should lose the weight first then try build muscle?

building muscle while in a deficit is, for all practical purposes, not time well spent. HOWEVER, lifting weights while in a deficit is SO worth it. Change your goals/mentality a little - lose FAT and RETAIN muscle.

To lose fat, you need to be in a caloric deficit, but you still want to lift weights to help retain as much muscle mass as you can. You also want to make sure you are eating enough protein to help with that.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    Right okay am going to keep up the strength training anyway as i find it fun. Am not too worried about the scales not moving i just thought maybe i was building a little muscle. Thanks
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight but also at the same time build muscle, the scales haven't moved in a few weeks but I have lost a couple inches around my waist. When trying to build muscle do you need to eat more? Or can i eat the same 1200 because my main aim is weight loss, i have another 28lbs to go! Also i am quite hungry most the time which has lead me to binging and eating all my exercise calories,. Which isn't good because i exercise a lot! Any tips?

I would definitely eat more if that cal amount is causing you to be hungry and binge. That is not going to be sustainable.

Also while you may not build significant muscle at a deficit you can preserve what you have by strength training.. so keep doing that.. when you lose it will have great effects on your body composition

• Jayj180894
    Options
    Another question! If i thought i don't want too lose weight anymore i want to gain muscle if i eat in a surplus would i gain any fat? Or just muscle
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Another question! If i thought i don't want too lose weight anymore i want to gain muscle if i eat in a surplus would i gain any fat? Or just muscle

Yea you will gain fat as well. Then you would cut after to lose the fat and preserve the muscle
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    Ahh okay makes sense!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Alternatively as you get closer to your goal you can also recomp... build muscle and lose fat all while staying around the same weight.. it can take time but is definitely possible. So another option to consider.
    I will say if you start lifting now you will be surprised how much muscle you have under there, and you may not have to build up as much as you think once you get down to goal