Calorie burn discrepency

Options
2»

Replies

• jwills618
    jwills618 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    You've been using the lower number for months now. Are you losing at the rate you expect or faster? If you are losing properly, stick with that number. Too fast? go with the higher number. You have plenty of data if you track diligently.

That's a great point. I've been losing about the rate I expected so the lower number probably makes the most sense to stick with. Thanks!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Perfect example of how different the algorithms can be between devices: I did a 12.2 mile mountain bike ride today (a little over an hour). I was wearing my Apple Watch and using a Garmin Edge 520 bike computer mounted on my bicycle. Both were synced to my HRM strap (no power meter on the bike).

At the end of the ride, the Apple Watch calculated my average speed as 11.0 mph, the Garmin had it at 11.1 mph; both had my average HR at 123 bpm. Garmin showed the distance as 12.23 mi., Apple Watch said 12.21 mi.

So everything was almost identical between the two as far as workout stats. What did they say about the calorie burn? The Apple Watch said I burned 446 calories, the Garmin said I burned 844. Quite a difference - almost 50%.