Scared of not seeing results.

Options
I have just started to work out for the firs time in my life properly. Since I haven't ever really lost weight over the period of my life, I am scared I won't see a difference. I am doing the insanity DVD(3days so far) and I have looked at peoples results after 2 weeks and it's great. But I am worried I won't see much of a difference even after a month. I know I will see in one month if I look different or not, but I want somebody to reassure me that I will see a difference. I also walk everywhere. Every day I take a 2mile walk, before insanity, I just walked for ages, as well as keeping just under my daily intake of calories, but I didn't see any difference! :(

Btw I'm 5'1 and 140lbs!

Replies

• xxicandoit7797xx
    Options
    It's only been three days! Give it some time! Remember that the people you see on TV can also just be actors. But, I can almost guarantee that you will see results. If you need a motivator, add me! Just know that even if you don't see results, you will be in a better state of health and mind!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take "before" pictures.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories as well? Just working out doesn't guarantee that you'll be in an energy deficit necessary to lose weight. In fact, if you're working out and not tracking it is likely that you will end up eating maintenance or surplus because you'll be dipping into your energy stores and your body will naturally want to replenish them.

Also, and I don't want to burst your bubble...but don't buy into all of the marketing hooey with these "get fit in 30 days" or whatever. They use models and what not that are already very fit and have them gain some weight...because they're already fit and muscular, they go burn it off in a couple of weeks and look like they've been working out forever...because they pretty much have been.

You should be exercising, but exercise for fitness and understand that fitness doesn't happen over night or in a month or in 3 months or whatever. I've been grinding it out for 9 months and have a long ways to go where fitness is concerned.

If you're using MFP the way it is intended, you have a calorie goal that has a built in deficit for weight-loss already. You don't have to kill yourself workout out. Use your diet for weight control and exercise for fitness.
  • Miss_Maree
    Miss_Maree Posts: 33
    Options
    You might not see results, but you will definitely FEEL them. Remember, exercise has a plethora of benefits besides just improving your physique. Try focusing on your energy levels, and your moods, and measure those results as well. Those should be the first changes you notice. Use those to motivate yourself and reassure you that your body is changing for the better with every exercise you do. Then the physical changes will follow faster than you know it.

Have fun with the DVDs and your exercising, and don't make seeing quick results your main focus. Time flies when you're having fun and loving yourself as you are. If you fret too much and worry about your results, you are more likely to get discouraged and make exercising a chore, when it doesn't have to be!

Also keep in mind, other people will probably notice a difference in your appearance before you do. We tend to be hardest on ourselves!!

Hang in there and you will be fine!
  • Sauleeh
    Sauleeh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under my 1200calorie goal with this to get me to eat better! But I didn't even lose a pound when walking, it can be so discouraging! :((
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Watching the scale on insanity is a mistake. You are going to stall out, or even gain weight if you do eat and exercise properly, and that's okay. The program is intense, so nearly everyone ends up retaining water and glycogen, which offsets weight loss from fat burning. This is normal, but can be very discouraging if you aren't prepared for it. Take body measurements and progress pictures if you haven't already; they'll give you a much better idea of how you're doing. I'm on week 3 of month 2 now, and I am currently up by 2 lbs. I am down 4" on my waist, several inches elsewhere and I am down 3% body fat. I can also see it in the pictures I took (they're on my profile if you want to see them). I know I'm losing fat, so I don't sweat the scale. Make sure you eat enough. You should be eating pretty close to what the nutrition guide lays out for you. I don't follow it exactly, but I do use it as a rough guide to make sure the amount that I am eating is roughly in line with expectations. Undereating is going to severely hinder the effectiveness of your workouts and can slow your fat loss. I eat a base of 2000 calories a day and an extra 600 to 1200 for exercise every day, and the results speak for themselves. Good luck.