Anyone tried pole dancing??

Options

Replies

• mckellipgirl
    mckellipgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I took a pole dancing class once. It kicked my booty. If they had them near me, I'd take that class in a heart beat!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I would like to. They are crazy strong
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Best full body workout I've ever done. I was sore in places I didn't know could be sore. It was fantastic.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I came prepaired for this thread...

dollar-bills.jpg
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I bought 5 classes for $50 and i'm going this weekend for my first class. I hope i can hang. I'm not that strong. :frown:

If you have the opportunity, why not? it can't hurt. That's what i'm telling myself. :wink:

Good luck!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I'm sure ithas been said already, but the only weight I have lost from pole dancing is the large number of dollars that left my wallet in my Navy days.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I did pole dancing for a while. I didn't lose weight like this but it wasn't my goal back then. I did it mostly out of curiosity and because I was a bellydance consultant at that dancing studio so all the classes were free for me. You can however lose weight with bellydancing, tons of it if you do it correctly.

I doubt you can actually lose lots f weight with pole dancing, maybe combining with strict diet. And definitely you need to be in good shape to be able to do most of the moves. But you definitely will feel sexier and more aware of your body.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    I'm aware you won't lose weight or see differences doing one or two classes but looking at it as a new regular hobby alongside what I already do :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Both of these are of Felix Cane... there is no nudity, but it's a professional pole dancing who is quite skilled and quite strong, that said they're probably not safe for work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GGik2Pnt-E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jJ5BUMN140

Holy crap that is awesome!
  • kilverstone
    kilverstone Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can loose weight from taking pole dancing classes. I did pole dancing classes for almost two years and I loved it! It's so much harder than it looks an incredible full body workout. The thing that the studio I went to emphasized was well rounded diet and fitness. Eating healthy but also incorporating conditioning, weight lifting and aerobic pole classes is an incredibly fun and sexy way to work it. :) I would love to keep taking classes but my studio is too far now to go with any frequency. Hope this helps!
  • goddessfat101
    Options
    Yes, My aunt and I tried pole dancing and we so far lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks---crazy ab workout! And its fun!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Good lord it's a workout. A friend of mine teaches pole dancing classes and she has the same upperbody strength as some guys that pump iron regularly
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    Thanks guys much appreciated. I'm due to get married next aug and my sister mentioned doing it for part of a hens night.. We always say about doing it for big birthdays etc and never get around to it. I said as a joke about us going and being good in comparison to everyone else just for a laugh as they would have no idea that we have had lessons but actually would love to take it up ESP if it helps with my weight loss and my wedding body.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    Yes, My aunt and I tried pole dancing and we so far lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks---crazy ab workout! And its fun!

How often we're you going?
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    At the beginner level it's not tremendously useful, but once you pass that into the intermediate level and advanced levels it is about as grueling as you can get with body weight alone.

(Edit: dated a girl for a while that... anyways.) Although I'd say it's a bit disproportionate on what it exercises, mostly core/lower body far more than upper body.

1CnG2J4.gif

has always impressed me... most people lack the flexibility and strength and it's not something you'll build overnight.

Both of these are of Felix Cane... there is no nudity, but it's a professional pole dancing who is quite skilled and quite strong, that said they're probably not safe for work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GGik2Pnt-E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jJ5BUMN140

Absolutely not.....pole dancing is about 99% upper body strength. It is like any other form of aerial acrobatics in that it requires years of training to advance in and requires strong back and shoulder muscles.
  • jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did it for a little while! It is really fun! I have sweaty hands though which makes it tough. Be prepared to be rather bruised mind, but yes good at toning those arms :)
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I've been pole dancing for almost 3 years and train 3x a week, when I started I had no strength to speak of whatsoever. It has done incredible things for my body BUT it is like any other strength training regimen where your diet will ultimately determine weight lost. I gained 20 lbs in 2 years after I started pole dancing, and while a lot of that was muscle, some of it was fat as I was not watching my calories and was eating a lot towards the end of last year (I'm calling it my 'bulking phase'). Pole dancing is very acrobatic and requires a ton of upper body and core strength, but if you stick with it the results will be very rewarding. Not to mention it is so much FUN!!!

Jenyne Butterfly, my 'favorite' pole dancer-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMkm0bqRvo
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I'm due to get married next aug and my sister mentioned doing it for part of a hens night..
    Oooh, I have a different idea! Start now, and you could surprise your fiance by being the entertainment at his stag party. :bigsmile:
    Can anyone imagine? What a prank. :laugh:
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and almost smashed my nuts trying to spin around it. From now on I think I'll just stick to watching you ladies do it.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I did an intro beginners course. I can definitely say that a strength training background was useful. It was a good workout and I feel like the more advanced you get the better it would be. It was definitely a strength (and flexibilty) workout but in a different way to lifting heavy. I feel like they compliment each other quite well