How to track on holiday?

Options
I'm doing so well on the way to losing those last 10 pesky pounds and am going to Morocco on Tuesday. I want to track while I'm there so I maintain at least and defo ateky not gain. I will be taking the girls for daily walks in double pushchair along the promenade (10km) and yes, that's my idea of fun...not being active and just relaxing for the week will make me very cranky as exercise is my drug.

We are fully inclusive at the hotel so breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a massive variety of foods for each meal. Healthy and not so healthy choices but I'm not sure how to track any of it. Should I just put a generic food in the database and go with that? E.g vegetarian sausage..ratatouille etc?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is...you can't!
    Just make sure you walk a fair amount like you've written above (approx 10,000 steps a day is always good to aim for) and make sure you eat healthier options! For example, if you have a burger and chips for tea, have the burger without the bun and swap the chips for salad so you still get to enjoy having a burger but in a slightly more healthy way.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd use generic and go for which is the most calorific example to be safe, also once you've done the breakfast buffet once you'll have an idea whats on offer as breakfast is usually the same at hotels so maybe prelog your breakfast after that and just stick to it (this will be harder to prelog for other meals where they change the menu), chances are you will probably end up being inaccurate or over, I always gain a couple of pounds on hols (I probably average 1000 cals a day above maintenance) but remember you'll have to eat 3500 cals above maintenance to gain a pound and you're only there for a week, you'll also probably put on a few pounds of water weight (because of change of diet) which will drop off immediately so don't panic at the scales the day you come back and it says you've gained 7 pounds unless you go completely nuts and eat 5000+ cals a day.

But mostly what works for me is I don't worry too much or let it consume my holiday, its only a week, have fun, try to make healthy choices, go explore the sights to get some walking in, do some swimming and get back on the wagon when you come back. Have a fun time. x
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Try to go for gin and vodka based cocktails. Bloody Mary's are my go to as not so many cals in tomato juice. Watch out for the creamy pina coladas!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm going on holiday on Monday.

I won't log, I don't want to. We walk loads on holiday, but other than that I'll eat and drink as much as I like of what I fancy, and get back to logging when I'm home.

I figure 3 weeks a year isn't going to harm me in the long run.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Honestly...Just enjoy. Eat what you want just do it in small portions, Do your exercise, Enjoy your vacation. A few days wont hurt you long term, Especially if your just overall mindful of portion sizes. Make trades with yourself, You can have something bad but first fill up on the good for you stuff (Although even that im sure would be hard even the salads are likely decked right out and calorie dense lol) Maybe theyll have veggie trays and stuff. Yummy.

I did find when i went on a road trip i prefered to not eat breakfast and have a small lunch so i could go all out at dinner and feel fine doing it. Went hiking and had alot of fun keeping self busy just eating small snacks then a big delicious celebratory dinner. SO yummy XD
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can guessing and get back to it as soon as you're back. Don't stress!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    We are fully inclusive at the hotel so breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a massive variety of foods for each meal. Healthy and not so healthy choices but I'm not sure how to track any of it. Should I just put a generic food in the database and go with that? E.g vegetarian sausage..ratatouille etc?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Whenever I've been on holiday I've decontstructed the meal into ingredients and used a supermarket equivalent of what I'm eating and leave a little wiggle room for extra oils/sauce calories (you could also quick add 150 cals to your meals). I would normally eat at Maintenance if I'm away for a few days, a couple of days off your deficit won't hurt. All the exercise you're doing means you're probably still going to be in some sort of deficit unless you're massively overdoing food and drinks. Enjoy your holiday :smile: