Marinade Calories

Options
Can anyone tell me how to count the calories in a Marinade. I mean, I don't actually cook the marinade. And also, if I cook a chicken breast wrapped in low sodium bacon, and then discard the bacon, how do I count the calories in that?

Replies

• Veet705
    Veet705 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything before and after. Just add the difference as the calorie amount.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think weighing everything before and after is a hassle you shouldn't have to worry about unless you eat a lot of bacon wrapped chicken each day or week. I would just guestimate for the bacon (maybe half of the fat originally in it), and would look on mfp for existing chicken breast with other marinades, adjusting based on how dense or light I know my own marinade is. If you are grossly overestimating you will lose weight faster than planned or feel tired all the time; if you are underestimating you will gain weight. In any case, I don't think it's a big deal unless you're doing some bodybuilding or physique show prep - in which case you'd have a coach anyway
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I never bothered with the marinade calories...the amount of marinade and thus calories that are going to stick to the meat are going to be pretty negligible. This is an inexact science anyway...trying to be 100% perfect is futile...you just have to be good enough.
  • raphillips61
    raphillips61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Special thx to cwolfman! It only takes one person to agree with you to make a decision :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how to count the calories in a Marinade. I mean, I don't actually cook the marinade. And also, if I cook a chicken breast wrapped in low sodium bacon, and then discard the bacon, how do I count the calories in that?

What's in the marinade? A thin vinegar-based marinade usually doesn't have many calories to begin with and won't stick much to the meat. A thick sugary marinade (some of the teriyaki type) will have more calories and might leave a thick coating.