Skin Issues?!

Options
Anyone advice for skin (stretch marks, excessive skin) after weight loss?

Does derma roller /micro needling work?

or creams and stuff?

Replies

• eraser51
    eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Topicals won't do anything for excess skin, surgery is the only option. Or filling out with muscle.

You may have a bit better luck with topicals for stretch marks though. Derma-rollers are tricky because they're difficult to sterilize. They're a thousand little needles puncturing your skin - you want it to be as clean and sterile as possible. So I wouldn't recommend trying it at home.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Filling out excess skin with muscle is unlikely since by weight muscle is smaller than fat. If you lose a lb of fat and fill it with muscle you'd have to gain quite a bit of weight.

The best non-surgical treatments for loose skin are hydration (in and out, use a good moisturizer and drink plenty of fluids), youth (skin elasticity is usually better in the young), genetics (some are just luckier in this regard than others).
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Topicals won't do anything for excess skin, surgery is the only option. Or filling out with muscle.

Or time can help as well. A great article that talks about excess skin and treatment/care options: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-greenfield/tighten-loose-skin-_b_1070172.html

toxikon wrote: »
    You may have a bit better luck with topicals for stretch marks though. Derma-rollers are tricky because they're difficult to sterilize. They're a thousand little needles puncturing your skin - you want it to be as clean and sterile as possible. So I wouldn't recommend trying it at home.

Topicals are pretty useless with stretchmarks. A few will give you a more "covering" effect temporarily, but non can actually penetrate deep enough to actually fix. This article outlines a few treatments that can actually diminish stretchmarks, but most are costly, aggressive and really only provide minimal help.
    http://cosmeticscop.com/2016/08/22/is-it-possible-to-get-rid-of-stretch-marks/

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight (1/3rd body weight), had quite a lot of saggy skin and boobs and after a year it had pretty much all sorted itself out, no creams, oils, surgery etc. I did work out but not intensively. And I'm early-40s (cough), so not exactly a spring chicken.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    FWIW: After losing 1/3 of my body weight at age 59-60 y/o, my loose skin has continued to shrink over the roughly one year I've been in maintenance. I haven't done anything extraordinary to encourage it, though I do wonder if it helps to be active (from the standpoint that perhaps good circulation may help).
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I used to use bio-oil in the past and it's pretty good. I also used to use mederma stretch mark cream when I ended up gaining weight pretty quick when I first got my desk job. So yeah those two things have helped with it.