Humger

Options
How do you tell the difference between boredom hunger and actual hunger? When I'm hungry my stomach rumbles could that just be boredom. I use to eat when i was bored but i wouldn't say i was actually hungry?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible with hunger cues. I've found planning my food in advance and the setting specific times I eat worked better. If I tried to determine hunger from boredom I'd be constantly eating (even when my stomach was full).
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've never had my stomach rumble when I wanted to eat out of boredom. To me, that is a real hunger cue. If I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and my brain says, "hey, you know what sounds good? Chips." then I know its boredom hunger. Many people build cals into their day to help with these issues, too :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    "Do I want a carrot and a glass of milk?"
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rumbling in your tummy or rather anywhere in your digestive tract is nothing more than peristalsis causing stuff to move. Ergo, it's not a hunger signal because it's a "stuff" signal. You're not empty if you have stuff in there.

I'm trying to figure out what really is a hunger cue. The one time in the past year I think I correctly identified hunger, I had been working outdoors in my yard for several hours and felt faint. That was a new thing, so I ate a banana and felt better.