fat smoker to triathlete

Options
DangerJim71
DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
Fifteen months after I started this journey I have decided to share my success story. Two things have prompted me to take the time to share: I'm proud of how far I've come and I remember reading some success stories early on that inspired me to keep going. It has been a long tough road but has also been very rewarding and I am grateful for all the support and inspiration I have received along the way. So here it is...

Almost 2 years ago my wife a had finally had enough of smoking and just quit one day. It took me about six more months to realize I needed to do the same and follow her lead. So, on April 29, 2012 I had my last cigarette, bought a bunch of gum and quit. At the time I was already close to 270 lbs and was afraid to put on more. The thought of hitting 300 scared me.

So at the same time I quit smoking I started to eat better and exercise. I started out slowly by just cutting out fast food, sweets, soda and chips. I started walking every day for an hour and then two hours. Eventually I started to incorporate stair walking into my routine and after a few months was really starting to see some progress. By mid June I had lost 25 lbs and figured I could start working toward running with a goal of doing a 10 mile race one year later.

With that goal in mind I started a couch to 5k training program. I made it all the way into day two of that when I hit what I thought was a terrible setback but ended up being an inspiration. I developed terrible pain in both knees and was sure I had done some serious damage. I went to the doctor for and MRI and x-rays and he determined that the combination of decreased bone density from smoking and prior lack of exercise along with my weight had led to stress fractures in the top of each tibia. No running or power walking for 6 weeks. “But,” he said “you can bike and swim all you want as long as they don't cause pain.”

I didn't really know how to swim as I had never seriously done it and never had lessons. I did have a bike though. So I got it out of the shed, had it fixed up and started to ride. Every day as far as I could and as fast as I could. After a few weeks I was putting on over 100 miles per week and I kept losing weight. By the end of July I was down 40 lbs and was allowed by my doctor to start power walking again. A funny thing had happened though after all that biking. I found out while out on one of my walks that I could run. Slow as molasses but I could do it for miles, probably 3-4 miles on my first try. I still believe all t he biking got me there.

About that same time is our annual local triathlon. I started to have this crazy idea that maybe I could train to do a triathlon. There would be a lot of hurdles to overcome but I had the will and I figured that even if I failed I would get in pretty decent shape doing it. So I kept on running and in September started taking swim lessons. The running went pretty well and I was really starting to pack on the miles. By October I ran a half marathon just 6 months after quitting smoking.

Unfortunately, I may have pushed too hard too soon and badly injured my hamstring during the half marathon. I ended up not being able to run for 2 months while I healed. Also in the mean time, I found the swimming to be incredibly hard. Harder than I imagined. After 8 weeks I could hardly swim 4 laps without stopping for a rest. It seemed like the triathlon was a dream that might not be reached. On the plus side I was still losing weight and the swimming was putting some muscle on my arms and shoulders so I kept it up. I mean, what man wouldn't like a little more muscle on his arms and shoulders?

Eventually the swimming got easier and I was able to hit my goal of 2500 yards in less than an hour that I figured I would need to complete the triathlon. I kept riding a stationary bike all winter along with the swimming and was also able to start doing some running again. The running was slow and somewhat painful at first and I really had to start almost all over again but it gradually came back. For the next few months I just kept working out as often as I could and as hard as I could.

Then in late March I started a training program with my brother to prepare for the triathlon. I was amazed at how well I was able to keep up with the workouts. It was the most physically and mentally demanding things I have ever done. It took a lot of devotion and honestly I was not prepared for the time commitment which was more than I thought. But it worked.

In mid June I ran my 10 mile race which was one of my original goals. I finished in just under 75 minutes which was good for 14th out of 60 in my age group. Yesterday, I completed my first ever triathlon an IRONMAN 70.3 in 6 hours and 2 minutes. I finished a little farther back than middle of the pack but in my mind I had already won. I quit smoking, lost 75 lbs, and got in the best shape of my life.

If you managed to read this whole thing I hope that you can take away three things from it: number 1 is you have to set goals even if they're a little crazy, two you have to find inspiration be it from friend or family or just anyone who is where you want to be, and finally you can't ever let setbacks keep you from your goals. That last one is especially important. It would be easy to quit when we encounter obstacles or just have a bad food or exercise day but tomorrow is a new day with a new opportunity to succeed. Seize it!

Me pushing 265
232323232%7Ffp734%3A%3A%3Enu%3D6759%3E453%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3678328356348nu0mrj

About 40 lbs lighter
232323232%7Ffp73475%3Enu%3D6759%3E453%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D36783264%3A6348nu0mrj

Today at 195 wearing my finisher's medal
232323232%7Ffp543%3C2%3Enu%3D6759%3E453%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3678328556348nu0mrj

Replies

• coachsteffiegwv
    coachsteffiegwv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Outstanding, man! Great work!
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hey My Friend, thanks for sharing your amazing story. I too, have been plagued with injuries on this journey and it was a real encouraging to read this and realize that I can still accomplish my goals. You are awesome. IPOU!

You look fantastic!!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Fantastic work!!! :bigsmile:
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done, you look fantastic
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    You look so much younger and healthier!!! Good for you!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic job you have done in turning your health around....wonderful attitude too. :flowerforyou:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    looks like you un-aged yourself in the process! way to go man, you look longer and are so much healthier no doubt!
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    wow! Amazing story! Well done to you for giving up smoking but not giving up on yourself. You are an inspiration!
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Jim - you failed to tell them about the fierce "chop" Lake Michigan was dishing out on the day of the ironman. The swim alone was a HUGE accomplishment - and to follow it up with another 69 miles on land?? Incredible. Way to go!!
  • MaliceWells
    Options
    You're such an inspiration! Congratulations!
  • Okeyboy
    Okeyboy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats man! Keep it going!!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    First of all, I have to admit to laughing at myself, since I initially misread your topic as "fat smoker triathlete"; how important the word "to" can be! :laugh: Now that I correctly read the topic and your story:

CONGRATS!!!!!!! What an amazing accomplishment. I've always toyed with the idea of completing an Ironman some day; maybe thinking about your story will convince me I don't need to wait to have 5 marathons under my belt to really make it happen. Truly inspiring (and you look fantastic, too)! You should be incredibly proud of yourself. :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Awesome....very inspirational...even more so given that I'm doing my first triathlon next summer.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Great story. Thanks. You look super.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow YOU are amazing. There was so many opportunities for you to quit and you didn't!! And you look great!
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look healthy, happy and YOUNG! I was also diagnosed with a bone bruise in my knee after training for a half marathon. I'm still not healed after 10 weeks and its really discouraging. I do ride my bike and use the elliptical. Did you have any residual knee pain after you resumed training? How is it feeling now?
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Wow, great job! You look fantastic!

My story is almost exactly the same....i quit smoking and decided to get healthier. I was not a ton overweight 25-30 pounds but it was enough!

I got into biking as well when i decided to do a half iron with 2 other people with me doing the biking. I found I Love biking and last year i put over 1000 miles on my bike. The training for biking allowed me to run as well and in October i am running my first 1/2 marathon and am considering a full next year.

Quitting smoking was the best thing i have ever done!
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Great story, very inspiring.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What an ace achievement! I have posted your post in another for someone I think may need some extra inspiration!
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    So inspirational! Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!