Understand % and totals in Macros

Options
Schila64
Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I've been looking at my Macros daily . Need to understand how MFP assigns and calculates macros .. At the end of the day I see Total and Goal . When it comes to Fat and Protein my Total % is higher than the goal . But when I look into each category individually my total in grams for the day for each category is higher than the total goal in grams . Hope somebody can help me figure this out .8z4250d1j12k.png
bt5po39n1g1a.png
u5fupb2sml4l.png
ygbl6xlyc4qq.png

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The percents will always add up to 100%. If you eat 100 calories or 10,000 calories your macro percents will always add up to 100.

The reason your total grams eaten is less than your goal is because you ate 1000 calories today, but your goal was twice that.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Also, calories per gram are not even across the three macros. Carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram while fat has 9 calories per gram.

A piece of chicken with 40 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat has 160 calories from protein and 18 calories from fat for a total of 178 calories. This doesn't mean fat is bad.
  • Schila64
    Options

usmcmp wrote: »
    The reason your total grams eaten is less than your goal is because you ate 1000 calories today, but your goal was twice that.
    Confused ! My goal was 2000 calories ???
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    Confused ! My goal was 2000 calories ???

You exercised, so MyFitnessPal gave you extra calories to eat. Your calorie goal before exercise already has a deficit built in. When you burn more calories through exercise you're supposed to eat at least half of those calories back. You're fueling your body and your workouts by eating those extra calories.
  • Schila64
    Options
    You exercised, so MyFitnessPal gave you extra calories to eat. Your calorie goal before exercise already has a deficit built in. When you burn more calories through exercise you're supposed to eat at least half of those calories back. You're fueling your body and your workouts by eating those extra calories.
    I've notice, with this or any other program, that when you consume your exercise calories, you don't lose as much weight as when you stick to what MFP has assigned initially.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've notice, with this or any other program, that when you consume your exercise calories, you don't lose as much weight as when you stick to what MFP has assigned initially.

MFP calculates your daily calorie goal assuming zero exercise. If you do exercise, you're asking your body to do more than MFP has accounted for (doing more = needing more fuel), so MFP gives you additional calories. The end result is the same.

Think of it like a bank account. If you want to save $500/mo, then you can cut back on your spending by $500, increase your earning by $500, or some combination of both totalling $500. Your body works similarly. To lose weight, you can cut back on your eating, increase your exercise, or some combination of both. MFP "defaults" to cutting back on your eating, because it is, for the vast majority of people, more effective. When you add in exercise though, MFP recalculates and gives you more cals to eat for the day. It's trying to help you lose weight, but also to be healthy and sane with your overall intake.

Many people find it counter-intuitive, especially when they are just getting started with regular, consistent logging. But it works.
  • usmcmp
    Options

That's because you've doubled your deficit. Losing faster isn't necessarily better. The faster you lose (especially if you have less than 50 pounds to lose) the more likely you are to lose lean mass. That means instead of losing mostly fat and ending up lean you'll lose a combination of fat and muscle, leaving you a lighter version of what you were before.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

That's because you've doubled your deficit. Losing faster isn't necessarily better. The faster you lose (especially if you have less than 50 pounds to lose) the more likely you are to lose lean mass. That means instead of losing mostly fat and ending up lean you'll lose a combination of fat and muscle, leaving you a lighter version of what you were before.

Not to mention issues of sustainability, learning portion and overall intake control, etc.