Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hydroxycut

I've decided to start taking the Hydroxycut max women's formula, has anyone else tried any of the hydroxycut brand diet pills? Honest opinion?

Replies

• stephjakegriff
    stephjakegriff Posts: 2 Member
    I just started taking it too but for the (hopeful) aspect of fat % loss... but reading the reply to your post makes me wonder... hmmmmm
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    edited March 2017
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Hydroxycut used to be effective years ago. It was taken off the market because it contained a dangerous ingredient that was causing serious health problems. The substance is banned and the formula for hydroxycut changed. It's now basically just an expensive caffeine pill, which could help with energy levels but isn't going to have an impact on fat loss.

^^^This. As she said, the effective ingredient was banned (for safety, in caused some major issues) and the formula changed. It will not aid in fat loss.

In 2004, the FDA banned ephedra after 155 deaths from heart attack and stroke were attributed to ephedra, including the death of Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler. It was the first banning of a dietary supplement by the FDA.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,102 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've used hydroxycut before, it's no more effective than a cup of coffee, really all it does is give you a bit of an energy buzz, which can be helpful if like myself you don't like coffee or energy drinks and you need perking up in order to do some exercise, but the tablets themselves don't make you lose weight.

I should point out as well that I only bought them because they were heavily discounted on a military base shop in the Middle East. I wouldn't pay normal prices for it. You'd be just as well to have a can of sugar free Monster/Red Bull/Cup of Coffee.

A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight, whether that be from reducing the amount of food you eat, or increasing your activity level or a combination of both. There are no quick fixes.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    If it seems too good to be true, it isn't.
    Waste of money.
    If a "magic" pill were the answer, everyone would be a normal weight.
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    edited March 2017
    waste of money.

just take a caffiene pill or a cup of coffee
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Hydroxycut used to be effective years ago. It was taken off the market because it contained a dangerous ingredient that was causing serious health problems. The substance is banned and the formula for hydroxycut changed. It's now basically just an expensive caffeine pill, which could help with energy levels but isn't going to have an impact on fat loss.

You left out the part about how it was dangerous when abused and misused in contraindication from the label.
  • Wynterbourne

You left out the part about how it was dangerous when abused and misused in contraindication from the label.

Ephedra was dangerous even if it wasn't "abused and misused" and that is why it was banned.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    The only cure for obesity is to eat less and move more. Pills potions and surgeries only (some believe) assist in this binary formula.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I took the Hydroxycut Hardcore before just for an energy boost and while it did give me that initially, it caused all sorts of digestive problems and stomach pain, I had to stop using it.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Pills are a no no
    We ate too much we need to then eat much less
    :wink:
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Caffeine pills can be hard on the adrenal glands too. I had to take a diuretic a couple months back for a health related issue. It hurt my back so badly. Come to find out it was that caffeine in it that was over stimulating my adrenals and causing back pain. Ouch!!!

Good luck.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member

Ephedra was dangerous even if it wasn't "abused and misused" and that is why it was banned.

Actually it wasn't. Read the actual research.

The folks who blew up their hearts were taking it for extended periods of time, and excessive dosages.

If it was actually dangerous, they wouldn't let little kids take it as part of an asthma management regimen.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I work in a metabolics lab and received samples of Hydroxycut to test. I had just started using MFP and decided to incorporate this into my regimen. I followed the labeling to the letter - taking a pill with water 30 mins in the morning and noon meals, but skipping the dinner meal dose due to feeling the "caffeine burn" at this time. I followed this regimen for 60 days and while I did lose weight, there was no discernible difference in the rate of loss. Actually my rate of fat loss was higher afterwards not using this product.

Bottom line - save your money. Don't waste your time with this or any other weight loss product.

There is a reason supplements are treated as they are by regulatory authorities - they are not effective.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Save your money and lose weight by eating less and moving more, we didn't gain our weight quickly, we can't expect to lose it quickly.
  • elpint0r
    elpint0r Posts: 99 Member
    I agree with everyone who mentioned caffiene/caffiene pills. I've learned this after buying numerous amounts of supplements and totally wasting my money.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Hydroxycut is very dangerous. Caused me to suffer anxiety and panic for a very long time it was debilitating for a few months and stuck with me for a very long time. It is not worth it at all!
  • Wynterbourne

Actually it wasn't. Read the actual research.

The folks who blew up their hearts were taking it for extended periods of time, and excessive dosages.

If it was actually dangerous, they wouldn't let little kids take it as part of an asthma management regimen.

I have read the actual research. My guess would be you are confusing the current Hydroxycut with the pre-2004 formula which actually had ephedra. Ephedra is what I am referring to. Ephedra and ephedrine alkaloids, which were banned as a dietary supplement in 2004. It was proven to have caused many cases of sudden cardiac death or severe disability even following the prescribed dosage. If I'm not mistaken 'sudden cardiac death following the prescribed dosage' does indeed qualify as 'dangerous even if it wasn't "abused and misused"'. It is still being allowed in extreme cases for asthma management under strict medical supervision. Allowing a doctor to prescribe a drug for use as a bronchodilator, that has been proven to be deadly even as prescribed, to stop a child from dying due to an asthma attack is in no way shape or form the same as some random adult grabbing a box off the shelf to use as a weight-loss and energy supplement to try and drop a few pounds. Which is irrelevant, since that use was banned anyway.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11117974

This report describes three patients in which the recommended dosage for the dietary supplements reportedly was not exceeded
    https://cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00043335.htm

The American Botanical Council warns that anyone under the age of 18 should not use ephedra without strict medical supervision.
    umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/ephedra