Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

First time Bikini Competitor

After over a decade of having wayyyyyyy too much fun, this x Party girl came to a pivotal point in my life last summer. I was unhappy with my body, my weight, and my overall well being. I had zero energy and I was constantly upset with myself and some of my choices.

With the help of a dear friend and trainer, I decided to commit to my first ever NPC Bikini Competition coming up in June 2017!! This is more than just the competition though, this is for my future and my new life ahead of me!! I'm so excited to be on this journey!!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I compete in women's physique. It can be very rewarding for some and others end up doing a lot of damage (mentally and physically) during competition prep. Not trying to scare you away from competing.

I would suggest staying away from most of the fat loss pills and pretty much any other substance many bikini coaches give out (bikini in NPC is notorious for steroid use). Eating adequately, ensuring you get enough protein, lifting and some cardio are going to take you far. There are coaches out there who put bikini competitors on diets that are less than 1,000 calories or have them do more than an hour of cardio every day (I do 30 minutes every other day and it's enough). I just want you to know that it doesn't take extremes like that to compete.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I compete in women's physique. It can be very rewarding for some and others end up doing a lot of damage (mentally and physically) during competition prep. Not trying to scare you away from competing.

I would suggest staying away from most of the fat loss pills and pretty much any other substance many bikini coaches give out (bikini in NPC is notorious for steroid use). Eating adequately, ensuring you get enough protein, lifting and some cardio are going to take you far. There are coaches out there who put bikini competitors on diets that are less than 1,000 calories or have them do more than an hour of cardio every day (I do 30 minutes every other day and it's enough). I just want you to know that it doesn't take extremes like that to compete.

I think this is important - people rarely talk about the cons of competing. Its sensationalised a lot. It is not something to do to get in the best shape of your life, because you won't. Comp lean is not maintainable, sustainable or healthy. Many, many women end up with terrible body image issues from competing, and massive issues post comp with many aspects of life/diet. The "dedication" can lead to loss of friends, poor relationships, poor performance at work....

Sure, make lifestyle changes that improve your health and wellbeing, but don't think a comp is the answer to your problems!

(I love competing, but if I could go back to pre comp life, I'd tell myself not to start. It has taken me many years to mentally get to a happy place about myself, and I still have physical issues that are likely predominantly prep related...)
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    After over a decade of having wayyyyyyy too much fun, this x Party girl came to a pivotal point in my life last summer. I was unhappy with my body, my weight, and my overall well being. I had zero energy and I was constantly upset with myself and some of my choices.

With the help of a dear friend and trainer, I decided to commit to my first ever NPC Bikini Competition coming up in June 2017!! This is more than just the competition though, this is for my future and my new life ahead of me!! I'm so excited to be on this journey!!

Awesome

Keep us posted on your journey and your results.

Good luck but you'll do fine.
  • roxskow
    roxskow Posts: 29 Member
    Hey There! I'm 3 days out from my first ever bikini competition! How's it going, when is your contest date? :)