WEIGHTS - WHERE DO I START???

Options
Hi all!

So at the moment my workouts consist of 30-45 minutes cardio or a 30 minute HIIT session, followed by floor exercises and some kettlebell.

I have seen small changes and I feel stronger so I am now looking to ramp things up and add some weights.

Questions;

1) What size weight shall I start with?
2) How many reps?
3) How often?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

PS: I have set up a small home gym so I will be buying these weights

Thanks!

Replies

• PL_SM
    PL_SM Posts: 181 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What is your ultimate workout goal? That will change the answer.
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    rja181 wrote: »
    What is your ultimate workour goal? That will change the answer.

Sorry should have said! Shifting fat and toning up, particularly my legs, stomach and arms. I've already noticed a big difference in my hips& waist (I do a lot of side leg lifts and waist turns with the kettlebell) and some difference in my legs/bum so looking to ramp it up now as what I'm doing is getting a bit too easy now.

I'm not looking to bulk up just look lean and be stronger

• PL_SM
    PL_SM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you can, get adjustable dumbbells. Then you won't find yourself having to buy new weights every time youstart to find a weight easy and i would suggest if you are looking to tone up then traing with weight 3-4 times a week.

As for how many reps, you need to vary it to keep the body guessing. Maybe lean more towards doing higer rep sets (eg 10-12) as you're goal is lean muscle but don't be afraid to go heavier now and again and go for 4-6 rep sets. Another reason that adjustable weights will come in handy (much tidier as well). If you just train 1 rep range your body will get used to it and your workouts will be less effective so keep it guessing.

Hope that's helpful.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

This is a great resource to help you identify which established program is best for you.
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    rja181 wrote: »
    If you can, get adjustable dumbbells. Then you won't find yourself having to buy new weights every time youstart to find a weight easy and i would suggest if you are looking to tone up then traing with weight 3-4 times a week.

As for how many reps, you need to vary it to keep the body guessing. Maybe lean more towards doing higer rep sets (eg 10-12) as you're goal is lean muscle but don't be afraid to go heavier now and again and go for 4-6 rep sets. Another reason that adjustable weights will come in handy (much tidier as well). If you just train 1 rep range your body will get used to it and your workouts will be less effective so keep it guessing.

Hope that's helpful.

That's great advice thank you. I've just ordered some adjustable ones online that go up to 10KG to start off with :smiley:
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells for the results you get. I just up the weight of the kettlebell. Just ordered a 35lb/16kg. Tomorrow I'm doing a double kettlebell workout at the gym (hopefully I 'll be able to do some of it)
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There are countless body weight exercises also which will save a bunch of money for equipment you may not use long term. (I.e. the Nautalis in my basement)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you want a weights only routine you do on your own or something like a dumbbells routine with a video?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you want to do free weights/heavy lifting: find and follow a program like stronglifts or starting strength. If you like videos, Jillian Michaels is always good, The Firm has some good ones, and Beach Body. You can find a lot online.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting the book Strong Curves. Excellent program and resource.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I'm not looking to bulk up just look lean and be stronger

You will not accidently bulk up, you have to seriously eat and train for that.

As far as your questions:

1) What size weight shall I start with? However heavy you can get 6-10 reps with
    2) How many reps? see above
    3) How often? Total body 2-3 times a week

Or, like others stated there are plenty of programs or videos to follow.