Salmon with skin vs skinless - calorie difference?

Options
MFP didn't give me an option of skin on or skinless salmon. Is there not a calorie difference between the two?

Replies

• gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    No. It's the same.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    For the Kirkland/Costco brand, there seems to be no difference in calories.

I buy skinless because I think the skin is gross.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Fairly certain you don't eat the skin.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You can eat the skin. I'd imagine there is a calorie difference because the layer just under the skin is fatty, good omega 3 but still fat so adds calories. Also be aware of PCB and the rest as the skin has a higher concentration
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Fairly certain you don't eat the skin.

Fairly certain you've never had delicious crispy salmon skin. There is a good layer of fat between the skin and the flesh, so if you get the fish without skin it will have less fat and calories, I don't know how much. That's where a lot of the healthy fats are, but also environmental chemicals. I always eat the skin unless I've totally failed and it's a soggy mess, I don't eat it enough to be terribly worried about mercury.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you get wild salmon (not farm raised), eat the skin or at least keep it on while you cook it-it keeps the salmon extra moist and flavorful!
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I bake my salmon.. skin on or off.. baking salmon preserves the omega oils in the fish.. pop a few lemon slices salt and pepper on raw fish wrap and pop in the oven for about 20-30 mins.. I guess with mine and I also have mine fully cooked.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I dont eat the skin when I bake it.. :)