Do you stop eating at a certain time at night?

Options
I usually try and stop at 8pm. Thinking of trying 7. Just will be tough the nights I go to dinner but thinking a cutoff time could help me with these last five pounds.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not really. I stop eating when I've had all my meals for the day and extras, if necessary.

How do you think having a specific cutoff, especially if it will get tough, will help you lose weight?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I generally have my last meal between 5-7, but not because I "try" to stop, it's because that's when I'm used to stopping. It doesn't really matter when you stop eating, and it won't make a difference to your weight loss unless it somehow helps you eat fewer calories and makes dieting easier.
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ok this sounds proper crazy and is defiantly not for most but this is what I do. You have to bear in mind too I don't work out so I'm on lower Calories than most.
    I get up and take daughter school. Bfast 9.30, lunch around 12.30 something small and then dinner at 4.30pm with the kids! I normally close my food diary at 6pm
    This works for me. I like the fact I got lots of time to digest before I sleep as I feel terrible when I eat dinner after 7pm.
    On Sundays if we go out it's normally Sunday lunch which is 3/4 in U.K. Or to the parents on a Sunday too. If we go to a restaurant on a fri or sat ever it's always 4/5 still as I got to feed the kids and get them in bed 7/8

I lost weight 10 years ago when single pre kids and again I found the time of day I wanted dinner was 4. Work use to let me take late lunch at 4 and then I could digest and go straight to gym 6.30pm.

So for me eating at 4 is key x
  • cajun_belle
    cajun_belle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it's important to stop eating 3 hours before going to bed. I find it helps me!
  • kayyforce
    kayyforce Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual as to what works best for them. I have to eat something before bed, even if it's just a banana. I'd rather that then stay awake hungry!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Do you stop eating at a certain time at night?

Yep. I usually go to bed about 1 am. So I stop eating before that.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference when you eat look at nite workers cico is all your body knows
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it's important to stop eating 3 hours before going to bed. I find it helps me!

Why ? There's no scientific evidence to prove that
    Your body only knows how many calories you consume and burn weightloss is done over periods of weeks and months cico :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night snacker. have been all my life. I embrace it and I late night snack whether I'm bulking, cutting or maintaining.

I usually eat about 200 -250 cals snack about 30 mins before bed. Last night was 500 cals (rice pudding with protein brownie pieces) almost immediately before bed (but i did sit up and read for a bit before sleep).
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    For me it depends what it is. No sugar or caffeine, as it keeps me up. Nothing heavy because I feel uncomfortable. No dairy because I get gassy. So... I'm boring. Maybe an apple or banana? Cashews?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I try to eat dessert as late as possible or I get hungry.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I fast until 1pm so that I have macros to spare at 11. I stop eating when I'm either not hungry or out of calories
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I stop by 6, but for no reason other than the fact that I am starving in the morning, never hungry at night (I could skip dinner and not have an issue, but I'd cut a person for taking away my breakfast!). I also tend to get heartburn if I eat within 3 hours of bed, and I don't like taking medicine.
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that stopping by 7pm helps me immensely. If I go to bed after I've eaten I tend to feel sick and bloated. I also wake up feeling awful. Since I've stopped eating at 7 I sleep way more comfortably and wake up feeling so much better. I don't know if it necessarily makes me lose weight, but how much better I feel is totally worth it on it's own. I'll also add that it was a challenge to cut myself off at a certain time. It took me awhile to actually adhere to it but eventually I was able to and I'm glad I did. I also don't get hungry as soon after waking up.
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    jmb6739 wrote: »
    I stop by 6, but for no reason other than the fact that I am starving in the morning, never hungry at night (I could skip dinner and not have an issue, but I'd cut a person for taking away my breakfast!). I also tend to get heartburn if I eat within 3 hours of bed, and I don't like taking medicine.

Ever thought you were starving in the morning because you're not eating at night?

Calories in, calories out. The time of day you eat means nothing. If you don't eat anything before bed, you'll have a drop in blood sugar, you won't sleep as well, your metabolism will slow down, and you'll be extra hungry in the morning. Watch your calories, not the clock. I always leave myself some extra calories so I can eat something before bed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't have a rule but usually I don't eat after 9 pm. I'm not usually hungry after that time until morning.

If it helps you stick to your calorie deficit then stopping eating earlier could be a useful thing to do. Otherwise it doesn't matter for weight loss.
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ever thought you were starving in the morning because you're not eating at night?

Calories in, calories out. The time of day you eat means nothing. If you don't eat anything before bed, you'll have a drop in blood sugar, you won't sleep as well, your metabolism will slow down, and you'll be extra hungry in the morning. Watch your calories, not the clock. I always leave myself some extra calories so I can eat something before bed.

Not necessarily true. While this is the case for @joeygambino every body won't react the same way.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    I'm not hungry at night because I don't eat in the morning; I've tried I just eat all day if I eat first thing lol. Just go with your preference, listen to what your body is saying.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Also your metabolism doesn't slow down if you don't eat at a particular time. It's not a bicycle