Why am I gaining weight?!?!

Options
tamaeus
tamaeus Posts: 51 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Recently, I weighed myself and had discovered that I had gained all the weight I had lost in the previous year time-span, so I went back on my strict diet. This time, I set my goal to lose 2 pounds per week. I will admit, it's been tough adjusting to it since going from 1 pound to 2 pounds cut my limit down by about 4-500 calories per day. And I will admit, there are some days I accidentally go over my limit, yet if I was still on my 1-pound plan, I'd actually be under my limit. I don't understand why I'm gaining weight now instead of losing it. The only thing that's changed is my weight loss plan and the fact that it's winter. Other than that, everything's been the same compared to the previous plan.

I know that muscle weighs more than fat, and that there's 2 types of muscles; bulky for strength (like weight lifting) and lean for endurance (like with running). I don't really feel any stronger, and I'm still not very endurant when it comes to running and other things that take a lot of energy over a long period of time.

Any ideas? This is so frustrating!!!

Replies

• kayyforce
    kayyforce Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! How often do you weight yourself? Have you had your thyroid checked? Don't lose hope!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat 1lb muscle weighs the same as 1lb fat you can get some lard and animal muscle weigh them both 1lb = 1lb
    Muscle takes up less room so you look slimmer but you can weigh the same on a scale if youve taken up loads exercise.

What did you use to find your calorie intake ?
    Do you weigh measure everything ?
    Are you logging everything ?
    Are you eating exercise calories ? If so how many % wise and how are you working out your exercise calories ?

What's your age sex weight height actually activity ?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    In what time frame did you gain weight, and how much?
  • vickyrose94
    vickyrose94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough calories for the amount you are expending as well! And make sure you are eating the right things for your body! Have you been working out? If so, what have you been doing? For girls, it takes about 3 months to gain 1.5lbs of muscle compared to men at 0.5-2lbs a week! This all depends on your body type of course.

Definitely need more information to figure out what's happening here though!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its a good idea to weigh regularly so we can take action when we see the creep beginning to happen.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat but it does take up less space - hoping someone will post the video that shows fat versus muscle.
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    hoping someone will post the video that shows fat versus muscle.

Me too. Have never seen it but there are a ton of pictures on the net to illustrate it.
  • tamaeus
    Options
    To answer your questions.

@Muscleflex79 I only guessed that it might have been more muscle mass because while my physical shape hasn't changed all that much (with the exception of a bit more chubbiness), I gained about 25-ish pounds, so more muscles are the first thing that I thought of.

@kayyforce I don't weigh myself all that often. I really should do that more. And no, I haven't had it checked, though right now I don't have the money for tests.

@size102b I use MFP to find my calorie intake. I don't usually weigh anything, I rely on the already-inputted amounts in the app. I'm logging most of it, although there are days when I don't log my intake, either because it's not listed (like ordering a custom pizza from Pizza Hut or a sandwich from Wawa) or because I'm busy and totally forget. But I try to log my food whenever I can. I don't know what exercise calories are, I'm just eating calories until I reach my limit, though I do try to eat as little as possible for max weight loss On days that I know I won't do much exercising, I eat as little as possible. On days that I know I'll be active, I try to stay below my limit. I work in a very physical environment where on a busy day I come home physically exhausted, though that hasn't been the case the past few months. Other than that, I don't really exercise. I might walk around when I go hunting playing Pokemon Go, but that's it.

I'm 31 (32 in May), M, 219.4 lbs (currently), and unsure what you meant by actual activity.

@StaciMarie1974 I don't weigh or log my weight all that frequently. Just to give you an idea, at one point (I forgot when, though I think last year) I was 194.

If you have any other questions, let me know!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you aren't logging or weighing your food, how do you know how many calories you're consuming? Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. If you've gained weight, you're not in a deficit anymore, or, if the gain is sudden, it's most likely food waste that hasn't passed or water weight from hormonal changes, excess sodium or increased/new exercise or even dehydration.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much
  • tamaeus
    Options
    I don't understand how I could be eating too much if I'm eating very little. But I'll try logging everything from now on, if I possibly can. But I still don't understand how I'm gaining weight if I'm usually always below my goal. Even if I'm below my 1-pound goal I'm still gaining.
  • tamaeus
    Options
    If you aren't logging or weighing your food, how do you know how many calories you're consuming? Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. If you've gained weight, you're not in a deficit anymore, or, if the gain is sudden, it's most likely food waste that hasn't passed or water weight from hormonal changes, excess sodium or increased/new exercise or even dehydration.

Because most of the time, I'm not eating that much, so unless the food I'm eating has a massive amount of calories, I shouldn't be taking in that many. But I see what you mean.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    tamaeus wrote: »
    I don't understand how I could be eating too much if I'm eating very little. But I'll try logging everything from now on, if I possibly can. But I still don't understand how I'm gaining weight if I'm usually always below my goal. Even if I'm below my 1-pound goal I'm still gaining.

Food volume does not equate to low calorie. I used to believe that I didn't eat much, so it was a huge surprise to me that I was actually consuming more calories than I needed to lose or even maintain my current weight despite little food volume. I was choosing calorie bombs.

To maintain current weight: eat the exact maintenance calories.

To lose weight: eat less calories than you need to maintain current weight.

To gain weight: eat more calories to maintain current weight.

Have you been to a doctor to rule any possible medical conditions out?
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Honestly, since you've lost weigh before and ended up gaining it all back. You have to ask yourself how did you lose the weight before? Was it you trying to lose 2 pounds a week? Because if it is I would recommend changing it consider trying to lose 0.5-1 pound a week. Also before taking this advice since I don't know anything about you consult with your doctor.

I'm not your doctor so all I can do is make assumptions seek professional help. What you were doing before wasn't working so you need to make a change. Slow and steady wins the race over-restricting calories will just cause you to bring the weight again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Because most of the time, I'm not eating that much, so unless the food I'm eating has a massive amount of calories, I shouldn't be taking in that many. But I see what you mean.

One salad from a chain can be 1000 calories....
  • tamaeus
    Options
    I was losing weight because I was on the one-pound plan the whole time and cut out soda. Now I'm on the 2-pound plan and I do drink soda but it's the Zero kind so no calories. And I don't want to take a whole month just to lose a few pounds, which is why I switched to the 2-pound plans. I keep seeing all these success stories here about people who lose dozens of pounds in just a few months, and I want to be one of them.

But I will admit one thing, I do need to cut soda out of my diet totally and exercise more.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    One salad from a chain can be 1000 calories....

Wait, seriously?! A cheeseburger has less calories than that. No wonder parents prefer giving their kids burgers instead of the side salad. LOL
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

This is just math and a bit of research. It's very hard to punch in something on MFP and have it be right every time. Do some checking on the internet in addition to what MFP says just to confirm things are correct. Then grab a kitchen scale. I think you'll be surprised. You can have your soda, but just keep it within your calories. You don't even need to drop your calorie goal to 500 below maintenance either. I think you'll be surprised at how much your intake has been and I also think that if you stuck to 250 below maintenance, and ensured you very accurately logged your food and drink, that you'll be able to eat more than you think, and lose steady weight at the same time.

What's the point in losing it all fast when it just comes back on? Take your time :smile:
  • tamaeus
    Options
    I guess I also want to lose weight was because I was so happy when I was below 200 pounds. I haven't been that low since middle school.
  • lasvegasconcertgirl
    lasvegasconcertgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Please take this constructively and not as a slight. My intentions are good! The biggest concern for me in your post was when you said you sometimes "accidentally" go over your limit. It is never ever an accident. And you're deflecting responsibility to the cosmos instead of taking it yourself. If you're properly tracking, those "accidents" don't happen. My conclusion is that you're fooling yourself with regard to the number of calories you're consuming. Sorry sorry sorry!! I could be wrong! Just ask yourself if I could be right. Because if that's the case, you're undermining yourself and you'll never reach your goal that way.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight then you're eating too many calories. Tighten up your logging.