Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Losing weight and your monthly cycle

Hi all not sure if this is the right spot to ask this question but I'm curious to know if other women have noticed a link between weight loss and their periods ?
I ask because I follow my cycle very closely and write down my weight on a daily basis and have noticed that a few days after my period I will start to lose a lb a day for 5-7 days. For the rest of the month I lose weight at about a lb or 2 a week, I don't gain any before my period. I'm wondering if this is due to hormonal fluctuations as my diet doesn't change over the month and my exercise regime stays the same. Just want to know if this is a similar situation for others as well?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    It's water weight fluctuations, not fat. Happens to pretty much everyone and especially to females.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Water weight
  • Becbecmonster84
    Becbecmonster84 Posts: 6 Member
    Are you heavier? I found that when I was 252 pounds I lost weight quickly after my period but then it slowed down also but I figured it was just due to my body catching up with me. If I lost 2lbs for 3 weeks that would be 6 of my 10 and then I would lose 4 or 5 that week after my period. My body doesn't do that now tho.

I'm near to my goal I'm at 22bmi. It really interests me as I can always tell which days I will lose weight.

I don't think it's water fluctuations as I never gain the weight back.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    I gain a couple pounds before, and lose it afterwards, but I never lose more weight than usual. I am also losing so slowly that I can't tell a difference from one week to another, takes 2 or more weeks to see.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    When I was losing, my weight dropped steadily for the first ten days. Then it went up for 5-7 days, just slightly, around ovulation. Then it dropped off again steadily for the rest of my cycle before going up around the second day of the new cycle and then leveling out. Even in maintenance, I see a rise in my weight for 5-7 days surrounding ovulation and again for a day or two in the early parts of the start of a new cycle.

Everyone is different when it comes to the body's response to hormones. It sounds like you've figured out yours.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    That sounds normal to me.

If you lose fat and gain water simultaneously, your scale weight will fall more slowly (or even rise). Once you shed the water, your scale weight will "catch up" to your fat loss.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I don't think I've every lost a lb a day, even when I had stomach flu. Generally though at TTOTM I'll weigh the same for a week, then lose about 2kg the week after, then spend the next two weeks gradually gaining back just over a kg of that. I average only 0.7kg a month loss. It's taken me 4 years to lose 38kg (80lb).