Knee pain after Jogging or Running

Options
DanaT81
DanaT81 Posts: 18 Member
Everytime I run or jog I end up with pain to the left of my left knee. Has anyone else experienced this? What could it be? I don't run or jog fast and am really trying to build up my fitness so it's disheartening. I jogged 3 Kms yesterday and it is now quite sore. I ha e applied heat gel however it hasn't helped much :-(

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Shoes is the first thing to check. Are they the correct ones for your running style? Have they enough wear on them and do they give you enough support.
  • Dechant63
    Dechant63 Posts: 59
    Options
    Ever have an injury to the knee?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Google 'runner's knee' and see if the descriptions sound like what you have.
    It is also known as patellofemoral pain syndrome.
    If that is what you have, the good news is that it gets better with a little rest.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    are you running on the road? try running in grass for less shock on your knees
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have experienced it! Also, my pre-injured ankle. So I checked my shoes and my form, and started to step a little more lightly. More like "gliding" instead of "running" but it helped!
  • carolin2006
    Options
    I have this, but I over worked my knee a while back. I took a few days off iced it ( per dr instruction ) and now it doesn't give me a lot of pain unless I do certain things. Try instead of running to get on the elliptical or swimming
  • mohugs
    mohugs Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with running on softer surfaces like grass as opposed to asphalt or cement. It might also help to try to run toe-first, if you're not already doing so. And, running uphill is much better for your knees than running downhill, so you might try jogging when you're going uphill and just walking when it's downhill (or try to avoid downhill if possible).
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I switched out my insoles and that helped get rid of the knee pain almost immediately. I was also icing my knee (only my left knee was bothering me) after a workout, and my doctor gave me a topical ibuprofen to use on my knee. All of that helped, but the biggest difference came when I put new insoles in my sneakers.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It's hard to diagnose via message boards, so I'll second the suggestion to look into your shoes. Go to a specialty running store (not a big sporting goods store; an honest to goodness local running store) to have them do a gait analysis and suggest some shoes that work for your size, feet, and running mechanics. The pain itself could be any number of things; if it's on the outside of your knee, iliotibial band (ITB) syndrome comes to mind, but there's really no way to know for sure. And, for the record, if/when it does flare up, you'll want to use the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) to treat it... ice it, rather than applying heat, as it's most likely inflammation (of your IT band, bursa, etc.).

Good luck and happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have patellar femoral syndrome. Have since I was a kid. I had to wear a brace on my right knee all the time, except when sleeping or showering. I started wearing one again to jog and it's really helped. Just the slip on Tensor with the side supports and hole in the middle.Worth the $15 investment.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do not really have knee pain, just some crackly sound going up steps or just bending the knees.
    Another question I have- has anyone experienced color change on the skin around the knees from running?
    Mine is kind of below the patella and darker, almost like they have been stained with dirt.

I apologize if this isn't the right section to put this, but I didn't know where else.
  • DanaT81
    DanaT81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. If it is ITB, how can I prevent it from reoccurring?
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Everytime I run or jog I end up with pain to the left of my left knee. Has anyone else experienced this? What could it be? I don't run or jog fast and am really trying to build up my fitness so it's disheartening. I jogged 3 Kms yesterday and it is now quite sore. I ha e applied heat gel however it hasn't helped much :-(

Try ICING IT to reduce swelling and inflammation. Then wrap it. Strengthen your quads, do squats.

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome-runners-knee
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

If it *is* ITB syndrome (and, again, I can't really say that it is... I just know that, when I had it, I felt it towards the outside of my knee), it can be a troublesome use injury. The IT band runs from your knee up to your hip along the side of your leg; as with any inflammatory injury, icing it will certainly help to reduce the swelling (and hence the pain), as will taking an OTC anti-inflammatory such as Aleve. For a longer term solution, I definitely suggest revisiting your running shoes (getting properly fitted at a specialty running store); I had really great success switching to a minimalist shoe, though that doesn't work for everyone. Be careful of running on streets or surfaces that are canted (i.e., for drainage, most roads are sloped to allow water to run off towards drains/gutters)... that can definitely exacerbate ITB syndrome. You can certainly go the route of really deep, targeted massage (e.g. neuromuscular therapy to really work your IT band); and I actually found acupuncture to be really helpful. I tried physiotherapy at one point, but didn't find it did anything at all; same was true for cortisone injections (I was training for a race for which I had fundraised >$10K, so not running and resting it just wasn't an option).

If getting properly fitted shoes doesn't do the trick, I'd really recommend seeing a sports doctor to determine exactly what the issue is. Hope you figure it out soon!
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It does sound like IT band pain since it's on the lateral (outside) portion of your knee. In contrast, femoropatellar syndrome is often distal (beneath) your knee. Of course, you should confirm this with a doc. However, I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents since I used to struggle with IT band issues. It's often caused by an underlying weakness in your thighs or glutes and can often be corrected by focusing on strengthening these areas. I did clamshell type leg lifts with a resistance band just above my knees every day for a few weeks and then cut down to 3 times per week for maintainence. This has completely resolved the problem for me! I even completed my first trail ultra last month and didn't have even a whisper of a problem with my IT band. Good luck!
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes this happens to me because my knee doesn't track properly and I have jumpers knee. Good news: you can repair the problem with strength, stretching and resting. I run with a patella band which helps a lot, although it doesn't repair the issue. I also ice after running if I feel any discomfort and take an anti inflammatory.
  • missy_girl001
    missy_girl001 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting it checked out by a doctor (preferably a sports med doctor). It could be nothing major and adjusting your form or changing up your shoes could be all that's needed or it could be an indication of a knee injury ... and they suck! A few years back I went from working out with my trainer 4 days a week and being super fit to being unable to bend my leg or walk properly let alone work out for about 3 months. To this day I have knee issues and doing my best to avoid knee surgery. So I leave running to the runners and partake in water running instead. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

By strengthening your hips and glutes.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

If it *is* ITB syndrome (and, again, I can't really say that it is... I just know that, when I had it, I felt it towards the outside of my knee), it can be a troublesome use injury. The IT band runs from your knee up to your hip along the side of your leg; as with any inflammatory injury, icing it will certainly help to reduce the swelling (and hence the pain), as will taking an OTC anti-inflammatory such as Aleve. For a longer term solution, I definitely suggest revisiting your running shoes (getting properly fitted at a specialty running store); I had really great success switching to a minimalist shoe, though that doesn't work for everyone. Be careful of running on streets or surfaces that are canted (i.e., for drainage, most roads are sloped to allow water to run off towards drains/gutters)... that can definitely exacerbate ITB syndrome. You can certainly go the route of really deep, targeted massage (e.g. neuromuscular therapy to really work your IT band); and I actually found acupuncture to be really helpful. I tried physiotherapy at one point, but didn't find it did anything at all; same was true for cortisone injections (I was training for a race for which I had fundraised >$10K, so not running and resting it just wasn't an option).

If getting properly fitted shoes doesn't do the trick, I'd really recommend seeing a sports doctor to determine exactly what the issue is. Hope you figure it out soon!

^^^This

I went minimalist and cant get over what a great improvement to my running. No pain. No issues. Nothing but good clean trouble free running.

If you predominately run on the same side of crowned roads (ie. against traffic) you can stress your feet, ankles, knees & hips. Try finding a more level route for your runs.

I also saw above where someone suggested "toe running" - I think it was merely just a bad choice of terms and the poster meant to say forefoot plant - but if you stress the big toe you can develop Sesamoiditis (turf toe) or even break the sesamoids. Turf toe has forced many football players to retire early as most cases are debilitating .

If you like more info on minimalist running & shoes feel free to inbox me.
  • kennedyronna
    Options

I actually happens whenever we do some sort of jumping. Usually occurs in athletes who are involved in jumping sports such as basketball, running and all. It can be cured when it is at its early stages by using the R.I.C.E methods i.e est,Ice,Compression,Elevation. I have read a good book on it.
    You can check that here:http://www.amazon.com/Beating-Patellar-Tendonitis-Treatment-Pain-free/dp/1491049731