Eating less than 700 calories a day

Options
13»

Replies

• venturagabriela
    venturagabriela Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I can't manage to eat more without feeling nauseous/ sick.
    I find this confusing. Then how did you get overweight in the first place? You don't have to think of fried foods or candy as unhealthy. Eat your vegetables stir-fried in olive or coconut oil or another healthy fat if you want to add some calories. And a little chocolate never hurt anyone. Belvita bars and protein bars are calorie dense and are not bad as far as nutrition.

As cliché as it was, I didn't like the way I looked physically so I gradually started to eat less and cut out many foods from my diet. Now it's just too much for me to ignore.
  • venturagabriela
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Sometimes when we first start we think we are limited to foods that people have labelled "healthy". If you struggle to reach your calorie goal you need to look beyond that label. All foods provide nutrients of some sort and having cookies or pizza still give your body nutrients. Your body doesn't give you extra credit for going over your vitamin and mineral needs, so it's okay to eat other stuff.

Are there any supplements/vitamins/ powders you would recommend. I really want to add them to my daily intake to see if they make a difference in how I feel when being active.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    are you weighing/measuring all foods you're eating?

This.

And also: What was your start weight? Current weight?

I haven't weighed myself at all, the only representation I have of my weight loss is the drop in sizes but it's not major (size 8 to 4) if that helps

In a MONTH?? That IS major. That represents a huge number of inches from your body relative to where you started. That's about 4 inches off your waist on the average clothing size chart between those sizes.

You need to seriously find ways to up your intake, milkshakes, nuts, chocolate, anything. What is happening now is alarming to say the least.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when we first start we think we are limited to foods that people have labelled "healthy". If you struggle to reach your calorie goal you need to look beyond that label. All foods provide nutrients of some sort and having cookies or pizza still give your body nutrients. Your body doesn't give you extra credit for going over your vitamin and mineral needs, so it's okay to eat other stuff.

I second this. I lost 80 pounds without eating any vegetables or "diety" foods. I ate what I wanted, I just watched my portions. At this point, maybe just getting some food in you is a good plan--if it tastes good to you, eat it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Are there any supplements/vitamins/ powders you would recommend. I really want to add them to my daily intake to see if they make a difference in how I feel when being active.

Yes. More food.
  • venturagabriela
    Options

Yes. More food.

I can't seem to find a balance, on days where I eat around 500 I try to force myself to eat. Even if it's just a cup or two of grapes and nuts I feel extremely nauseous. I will be going to the doctor, I'm anemic and tend to get migraines very easily, I know the lack of food is making it worse
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Can you post an example of what you do eat in a day? Good calorie dense foods that won't break a "healthy" diet can include nuts, nut butters, beans and cheese.

I'll have a 28 oz smoothie (banana, almond milk, berries, matcha powder), Frosted Flakes.. which I know isnt the best, my dinner usually consist of chicken/shrimp/salmon with a very large serving of broccoli,carrots, spinach, just vegetables really. And towards the night a cup of fruit, maybe granola. I also snack on almonds and prunes throughout the day.

Add some peanut butter to that smoothie, avocado to your dinner and have a cheese stick or two with the night snack. You really could also add another small meal like some pasta salad or something.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, heavy on the peanut butter.
  • venturagabriela
    Options
    What about some carbs? A bit of rice, pasta, potatoes or bread will fill in that gap and maybe help the nausea. I know I personally don't react well to protein and fat without carbs, it makes me feel a bit weird. And potatoes in particular (whether normal potatoes or sweet potatoes) are very nutritious in terms of vitamins and minerals.

I eat a lot of carbs considering my calorie intake (around 130g) it's not the most but I'll go way over my daily need. They sustain me longer without the sick feeling.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I know I'm just repeating what other people have said, but seeing a doctor may be a good idea. Anorexia isn't just a psychological condition. It can also be a physical condition, where no matter how much you *want* to eat more, your body is repelled by the extra food. It's often a sign of an underlying illness or the side effects of certain medications.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Yes. More food.

I can't seem to find a balance, on days where I eat around 500 I try to force myself to eat. Even if it's just a cup or two of grapes and nuts I feel extremely nauseous. I will be going to the doctor, I'm anemic and tend to get migraines very easily, I know the lack of food is making it worse

A trip to the doctor seems absolutely the best plan. It sound like you either have a medical disorder that is causing you to feel nauseous when you eat, or you have an eating disorder. A doctor is your best bet to deal with either.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Doctor please. It might even be a gall bladder thing, which can be dangerous.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Choose less lean meats. Chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. Beef.
    Have a potato, banana, bread, rice, or pasta instead of more lower calorie vegetables.
    Eat some pizza, a burger or something more complicated.
    Use condiments or dressings.
    Eat full fat dairy. Eat whole eggs.
    Use some butter or oil in cooking.
    Drink milk, smoothies, juice.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Doctor please. It might even be a gall bladder thing, which can be dangerous.

I second this. When my weight dropped as drastically as yours did (because I wasn't eating enough) it caused gallstones to form. Then I started getting sick when I would eat, particularly anything with fat. Eventually everything made me sick. Then my weight dropped more. Eventually I ended up with an infected gallbladder that caused a blood infection and required emergency surgery. Please see a doctor asap.

Also, when I had the eating disorder I psychologically developed a gag reflex that made me stop eating after a few bites. I still have it 14 years later, although to a lesser extreme. I deal with it by eating 6 small meals around 200-300 calories each spread throughout the day. I just can't sit down and eat a huge meal anymore, but if I spread it out I can get the right amount of calories without feeling sick.

But seriously on the gallbladder thing. I know three other people who developed gallstones from rapid, unhealthy weight loss. See a doctor about the nausea soon.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Under eating this low is a disorder. The forums aren't where you should be looking for help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • angryromancegrrl
    angryromancegrrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband had the same issue (at 500 cals a day and lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks that he didn't' need to lose) We took him to a doctor and sure enough....there was inflammation where it shouldn't be. A pill a day and he is eating again. So not trolling--just concerned but you really should go see someone.