Do you prefer to blow your calories or macros?

Options
Ideally neither but for most of us who take more than a few months to lose the weight we have to lose, we WILL eventually have a special occasion or just a moment of weakness.

Let's say you have a carb heavy meal; there was a party; whatever... would you rather go over in calories to come close or hit protein or would you rather stay over the few hundred or whatever and not stress about protein that day?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    personally, I give myself 3 days a year - thanksgiving, Christmas and birthday to be my out of control days - I log everything

on a general basis - if I look like I'm going to blow through my macros - under the advice of my RD - I focus on getting as close to protein as I can while staying close to my calories
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Calories first, then protein, then fibre and let the rest end up wherever.
  • RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me calories are the most important target. The macros are more of a guideline.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    A special occasion/rare event? I'm not caring either way.

Every day life? Mostly protein focused but there are some days I'll eat a bit over in carbs just because I have an itch to scratch in that respect!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'll just have a steak the next day. I balance it all out as the week goes on.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I just focus on calories and protein, carbs and fats usually fall into place fine for me on their own.
    I have my protein goal set quite generously, so I don't worry if I fall a bit short on it even as often as once a week. Overall calories would be my main goal, but I agree that if it's a holiday or something I'm not going to worry about one day!