Cycling vs running

Options

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    ohhh pretty! the only problem with having a bike that has 650cc wheels - finding race wheels that fit is a PITA

What kind of bike is it?

Trek Speed Concept TriBike - I can find Zipp's but even then 650cc are cost prohibitive

my LBS did a fit and recommended frame sizes - but the cannondale that would have gotten me to 700cc would have required more tweaking than my LBS thought it was worth

Some shops rent out race wheels, then sell them at the end of the year. Finding rental 650s at year end might be tough, but it might also be worth calling around for.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    ohhh pretty! the only problem with having a bike that has 650cc wheels - finding race wheels that fit is a PITA

What kind of bike is it?

Trek Speed Concept TriBike - I can find Zipp's but even then 650cc are cost prohibitive

my LBS did a fit and recommended frame sizes - but the cannondale that would have gotten me to 700cc would have required more tweaking than my LBS thought it was worth

Yeah and Enve can make you some crazy expensive mountain wheels but those are designed more to take punishment than to go fast. And you have a go fast bike.

It's always seemed a little weird to me that we change the frame size to fit a bike to different people but not the wheel size. I guess that would make things crazy expensive, but it seems like bikes would also handle more consistently if they did that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rebuttal....... (but they can pry my bike from my cold dead fingers....)

6zl2zrrpowkg.jpg
    runnersworld.com/fun/37-reasons-running-is-so-much-better-than-bicycling
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Cycling can be done all year! It just takes the right clothes and bike to do it up north. Yes it is more expensive, but there are more group events too. Cycling is just more social and a great way to clear your head!t7sh6uehljas.jpg

Winter running gear is so much cheaper than winter cycling gear. I can carefully run on ice or through snow in my trail runners. Since I'm high desert where snow melts between storms I would probably need two bikes in winter depending on conditions.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

6zl2zrrpowkg.jpg

If that picture is an accurate depiction of the author's ability to handle a bike, he should stick to running, and even that might be a challenge.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

What kind of bike is it?

Yeah and Enve can make you some crazy expensive mountain wheels but those are designed more to take punishment than to go fast. And you have a go fast bike.

It's always seemed a little weird to me that we change the frame size to fit a bike to different people but not the wheel size. I guess that would make things crazy expensive, but it seems like bikes would also handle more consistently if they did that.

650cc are slowly starting to be phased out - I know that Felt no longer uses them (the Ironman world champ from 2014 Mirinda Carfare is 5'3" and used to have 650s but is now on Felt with 700s)

its like crank length - I have custom short cranks (152.5) because the standard 165mm cause a catch in my hip and issues when cycling long distance - but its not something that people typically look at (even during a standard bike fit)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Automatic fail!

But seriously, I'm not a fan of group exercise. I'd probably like cycling alone.

Cycling mostly fails for me because the local bike trails are usually too crowded with runners and cyclists. Cyclists barely get any speed before they're having to slam on the brakes. I could ride on regular roads, but given the way people have started driving around here, I wouldn't expect to survive.
    Cycling can be done all year! It just takes the right clothes and bike to do it up north. Yes it is more expensive, but there are more group events too. Cycling is just more social and a great way to clear your head!t7sh6uehljas.jpg

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

6zl2zrrpowkg.jpg

If that picture is an accurate depiction of the author's ability to handle a bike, he should stick to running, and even that might be a challenge.

He's probably ok as long as he doesn't chew gum and run at the same time.......
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

6zl2zrrpowkg.jpg

meh... I've been there, multiple times. And I'm a damn good bike handler.

Admittedly, my trips OTB were under very different conditions than those pictured. But yea... I've gone OTB.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I can ride a marathon and do it again tomorrow.

Microfractures? What's that?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't see many sticking up for running....
    So I gotta say: Running is a more natural activity and, therefore, a more natural motion. My legs weren't made to go around and around. They were made to strike and push.
    Plus, I move my arms when I run, from which there is a benefit.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    So I gotta say: Running is a more natural activity and, therefore, a more natural motion. My legs weren't made to go around and around. They were made to strike and push.
    The striking bit of that is the problem for me. Too much impact when runninghurts my body.
    Not sure how "natural" it is to run distances. Even super fast animals only do it in very short bursts.

Plus you use your arms a lot in cycling if you do anything more than pootle along.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    ^ Never had a good time running. :wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Get a group of experienced runners together and the conversation will eventually turn to their numerous injuries

I've seen the observation that runners suffer chronic injuries, cyclists suffer acute injuries.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Get a group of experienced runners together and the conversation will eventually turn to their numerous injuries

I've seen the observation that runners suffer chronic injuries, cyclists suffer acute injuries.

^^agree
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    suzesvelte wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    The striking bit of that is the problem for me. Too much impact when runninghurts my body.
    Not sure how "natural" it is to run distances. Even super fast animals only do it in very short bursts.

Plus you use your arms a lot in cycling if you do anything more than pootle along.

Heel striking is not a natural running gait. Kick off your shoes and run and in about 4 steps you'll realise that.

With respect to how natural distance running is, we've been persistance hunting for thousands of years (certainly longer than we've had bicycles) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    ^ Never had a good time running. :wink:
    Well, obviously you're doing it wrong. B)

• canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like running, but I LOVE cycling. The big climb up a hill, the adrenaline rush of speeding downhill.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    eh, i prefer bikes. difference is that if i'm on a bike when someone catches me conversing out loud with myself, i can usually get away from them pretty quick.