2»

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Walter__ wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I'd guess it's a form issue. Your low back is either in hyperextension (pictured left) or hyperflexion (pictured right):

back_position.jpg

Seems your friends say it looks okay, it's most likely hyperextension. Sometimes it can be subtle like in the pic above. Other times it can be extreme like this:

lumbar-hyperextension.jpg?ts=1448912925

The fix would be keep your spine neutral. Focus on activating your core to keep your spine locked into that neutral position. Also don't exaggerate the lockout. Just stand up straight.

Post a form video.

@Walter__

I have a question about this photo.

My back naturally curves in such a way where when I bend forward, it looks like the hyper-extended photo of that woman.

Does that make it so that when I deadlift, I'm doing so with improper form? Or is it alright because I'm not actually hyper-extending it...?

I wouldn't worry about it if you're not feeling any pain. Most people who have pain from overextending is when it's really exaggerated, especially at the lockout. Just like in that second picture. OP hasn't posted a form video so it's just a guess at this point
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i think in all three pictures of that girl in the red shirt are poor form. sorry.

In the middle picture: Back is neutral, bar is over midfoot and underneath the scapula.

Break it down for us. Tell us how it's wrong.

just looking at her shoulders, she has zero lat engagement. and in my opinion incorrect shoulder alignment.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I'd guess it's a form issue. Your low back is either in hyperextension (pictured left) or hyperflexion (pictured right):

back_position.jpg

Seems your friends say it looks okay, it's most likely hyperextension. Sometimes it can be subtle like in the pic above. Other times it can be extreme like this:

lumbar-hyperextension.jpg?ts=1448912925

The fix would be keep your spine neutral. Focus on activating your core to keep your spine locked into that neutral position. Also don't exaggerate the lockout. Just stand up straight.

Post a form video.

@Walter__

I have a question about this photo.

My back naturally curves in such a way where when I bend forward, it looks like the hyper-extended photo of that woman.

Does that make it so that when I deadlift, I'm doing so with improper form? Or is it alright because I'm not actually hyper-extending it...?

I wouldn't worry about it if you're not feeling any pain. Most people who have pain from overextending is when it's really exaggerated, especially at the lockout. Just like in that second picture. OP hasn't posted a form video so it's just a guess at this point
    i think in all three pictures of that girl in the red shirt are poor form. sorry.

In the middle picture: Back is neutral, bar is over midfoot and underneath the scapula.

Break it down for us. Tell us how it's wrong.

just looking at her shoulders, she has zero lat engagement. and in my opinion incorrect shoulder alignment.

If her lats were completely relaxed, the bar would swing away. Try it for yourself. Grab an empty bar, get into the deadlift position, then completely relax your lats. With zero lat engagement the bar swings away. She's doing just enough to hold it and pose for a picture.

I suggest giving Starting Strength a read. It explains the optimal positions for all the lifts and why.

Here is an excerpt from the deadlift chapter:
    The correct position from which to pull will
    be one in which the scapulas, the bar, and the midfoot
    are aligned vertically. The back will be held rigid
    in its normal anatomical position, the elbows will be
    straight, and the feet will obviously be flat against
    the floor.

Read the rest of the excerpt here. It's only 7 pages: http://mattlorig.yolasite.com/resources/pulling_mechanics2_rippetoe.pdf

Alternatively, here's another great website. Same principles from Starting Strength, but the visuals make it easier to understand:

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-technique-deadlift-setup/

• SonyaCele
    Options
    thank you for your reading suggestions , i still think her form is off. who is she anyways?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    Advice or similar experiences?

not gonna give advice, but since you asked for similar experiences: i've just found out i've been going around with a slightly rotated pelvis that was giving me similar kinds of aggravation. i probably did it to myself either sneezing with only one foot on the ground or by shovelling snow from the third-world-squat position with a hand-held dustpan :tongue: functionally, my sacrum couldn't 'glide' to accommodate whatever my ilium was doing, and things have been pretty uncomfortable in a low-grade nag kind of way.

frustrating, because i kept trying to 'fix' my form when it seems maybe my form was never the problem to begin with. please note, i am NOT saying you should assume yours is fine. but it's an example of how sometimes you can do everything right but if your various bones aren't in the right kind of alignment with one another, it's still going to hurt.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    thank you for your reading suggestions , i still think her form is off. who is she anyways?

I agree, shoulders are in front of hands. Should be lower in the hips and that would bring the shoulders back. Correct?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    mcraw75 wrote: »

I agree, shoulders are in front of hands. Should be lower in the hips and that would bring the shoulders back. Correct?

No. Your shoulders should usually* be slightly in front of your hands when you begin the pull. And hip height is going to be pretty individual. Some people will have lower hips. Others, if they lower their hips, will just end up having their hips rise first, which is something you'd want to avoid.

*Usually, because every now and then there will be someone with somewhat odd proportions (or some other valid reason) to not set up this way.

Considering those pictures are simply showing back position (not necessarily anything else), it's pretty irrelevant, anyway.
  • SonyaCele
    edited March 2017
    Options

i personally like to see slightly lower hips if she's trying to demo a conventional pull. if she locked in her lats in the "neutral position" photo it would get her shoulders more in a correct position. Its also kinda strange to try and demonstrate impeccable form for internet examples with an empty bar , it really helps to have the resistance from some weight for a proper set up. Again this is all my opinion , and everyone has their own.

so i just googled her pic, here she is again, with a loaded bar and lower hips and better form, shoulders better too.
    8ip0qa9nztgx.jpg
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Shoulders should be just in front of bar so the scapula is directly above the bar and her hips are a perfect height for her body configuration according to Ripptoe.

I would also argue its nearly impossible to make your lats look engaged with a empty bar since one cannot pull the slack out. Even to do a dead lift correctly, one must have some weight on the bar.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Shoulders should be just in front of bar so the scapula is directly above the bar and her hips are a perfect height for her body configuration according to Ripptoe.

I would also argue its nearly impossible to make your lats look engaged with a empty bar since one cannot pull the slack out. Even to do a dead lift correctly, one must have some weight on the bar.

it the pic of her with the empty bar , it appears to me her scapula is in front of the bar, the pic with the weight on the bar, its looks more in line.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

it the pic of her with the empty bar , it appears to me her scapula is in front of the bar, the pic with the weight on the bar, its looks more in line.
    Its about as good as it gets without being able to pull the slack. Besides the purpose of the first pic is to show a neutral back. Also must be noted different camera angle. My point of mentioning scapula is the hands should not be directly below shoulders which was stated otherwise.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OP - just another thought. I've had back issues in the past by having a weak core. Maybe that's adding to it?
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I do this for three minutes on each side before I go to bed each night. Does the trick with tight hip flexors.

It's actually a classic yoga position. Please excuse the *kitten* in the video.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    PS this video starts at 2:10