What keeps you going?

Options
Hi guys!

A little back story on my journey.

I started MFP with the goal to just, lose weight. I had been the heaviest I've ever seen at 239lbs and I nearly wanted to break down and cry. I knew enough was enough and set my sights on just losing a few pounds when I could. I don't know what motivated me so much then, but I started seeing results and got super addicted. I went from 239 to 170 in 6 months and felt so happy! I was in clothes that I would have NEVER thought to fit me, and tossed out all my 'big' clothes. I dropped from an 18 to an 8, and although I still needed to lean out, I was happy of my achievement.

Then, I got stuck, and could not, for the life of me, hit anything below 170. I tried to eat more, I gained more weight back, I exercised more and found I was completely stuck. I found it hard to find that motivation again, and slowly, the weight crept back up, then stress hit hard with so many things happening in my life. For a year I had to move back in with my parents, then moved back out on my own, but by that time...I was back in 220's. Stress, plus losing that will power, and having everyone tell me "you're doing it wrong! You aren't eating X or doing X exercise," it didn't help that most of these people didn't offer any helpful advice. The most I got was "if you want to lose the weight, you have to figure it out yourself, no one can help you."

Needless to say, I'm back to 230...and feeling worse than I did at 239 a few years ago...

I know what made me happy, it was that feeling of being 170, knowing if I had just PUSHED harder, ate better, had something...that got me out of that rut, I know I would have gotten there. Now, it's just negativity, lots of vague answers with no real help. I've tried to make plans and meal plans but... I haven't really felt the way I did before. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle, and my will to go forth and say "yes, this was worth it" is nearly breaking.

What keeps you guys going when it feels all odds are against you and your brain is telling you "just quit". What inspires you and gives you that adrenaline rush? When you don't see the results of a brutal work out and clean eating, how do you go on?

Replies

• alexpultz93
    alexpultz93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I look at old photos where I looked better gets me motivated, because not only do I know I can do it, but I also have an idea of what I'll look like at certain weights. I'm short too, so having a real example that's personal to me is a huge help. I also take current photos of me just in short short or undies, and take different shots to get an idea of what I really look like, so I can't just trick myself into thinking I'm fine where I'm at.
  • LonsyBoy
    LonsyBoy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Dont be discouraged! we are the same as smokers trying to kick the habit (fat weight) scale numbers mean bugger all in the big picture, why is a certain number a goal? use it as a guide :#
    You could very well have a larger muscle mass than normal and be heavier on the scales but better shaped and defined! look at a typical 5'10" man at 250pounds vs a 5'10" bodybuilder weighing the exact same weight, its unbelievable! Weight on the scales is literally only that, means nothing to your body type in the larger view of being positive with your body
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When I look at old photos where I looked better gets me motivated, because not only do I know I can do it, but I also have an idea of what I'll look like at certain weights. I'm short too, so having a real example that's personal to me is a huge help. I also take current photos of me just in short short or undies, and take different shots to get an idea of what I really look like, so I can't just trick myself into thinking I'm fine where I'm at.

Yeah, I see old pictures when I was thinner, and miss the old days. Sometimes I think "If I did it before, I have to be able to do it again!" I really need a good kick in the butt.
  • Jazzberry91
    Jazzberry91 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Looking at old photos can help but honestly finding that "why" is different for every person. Some people have to hit rock bottom before the find their fire. I would suggest sitting down and really meditating on what gave you the fire last time. Really focus on how you felt when you could fit into those new clothes. I know its hard to think about how close you were, so don't. Try and focus on the fact that if you did it once, you can do it again.

I have bounced up and down a lot in my weight loss journey, so bad that I am currently starting at my HW ever, what I originally had not weighed without being 9 months pregnant. Feel free to add me! I try to be as positive as possible and if nothing else, I am always available to chit chat <3
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    LonsyBoy wrote: »
    Dont be discouraged! we are the same as smokers trying to kick the habit (fat weight) scale numbers mean bugger all in the big picture, why is a certain number a goal? use it as a guide :#
    You could very well have a larger muscle mass than normal and be heavier on the scales but better shaped and defined! look at a typical 5'10" man at 250pounds vs a 5'10" bodybuilder weighing the exact same weight, its unbelievable! Weight on the scales is literally only that, means nothing to your body type in the larger view of being positive with your body

I have to change my way of thinking from the scale, though I should be really looking at inches. I think what also unnerves me is my scale says I am 47% body fat. That alone is perhaps the worst part of it all. And it all seems to be around my mid section. That's usually the hardest for me to change whenever I am working out.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    Looking at old photos can help but honestly finding that "why" is different for every person. Some people have to hit rock bottom before the find their fire. I would suggest sitting down and really meditating on what gave you the fire last time. Really focus on how you felt when you could fit into those new clothes. I know its hard to think about how close you were, so don't. Try and focus on the fact that if you did it once, you can do it again.

I have bounced up and down a lot in my weight loss journey, so bad that I am currently starting at my HW ever, what I originally had not weighed without being 9 months pregnant. Feel free to add me! I try to be as positive as possible and if nothing else, I am always available to chit chat <3

Thank you! I don't have many active friends on MFP, and I believe that might have been a big help to me back in the past. Just having people all over from different walks of life root you on and offer anything insightful was probably that nudge that kept me going.

I know I want to loose the weight, I can almost feel that finish line is somewhere out there, but my brain is so hard wired to stop me, that it almost snuffs out that fire. I just need to rekindle it again.