Pre-diabetic food help needed

Options
manderson27
manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
My husband is 67 only around 10 pounds overweight (put this on since retirement a year ago). He is 6' 2" and cycles around 4 hours a week and walks a lot. He also has slightly elevated blood pressure and cholesterol which are both under control now.

Yesterday the results of his yearly check up came back and he was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. He is devastated, to be honest, I have never seen him so low, he is very frightened by this.

He is Jamaican and I gather that his ethnicity is a factor in all these things. It is hard on him as he has always been careful with his health and fitness.

The reason I am writing is to ask for simple recipes and foods that would be suitable for him to help get his numbers back in check. He is a bit lost and I really want to help him to lose the 10 pounds and reverse his blood numbers. He has always supported me in my journey now it is my turn to help him and I know that there are many of you out there dealing with the same issues so I am hoping you can give me advice and tips that I can pass on to him. If we are pro-active about this it will help him to cope.

I am looking on NHS sites and have downloaded some info but I would love to hear from my fellow MFP folks who are actively going through this.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies

• manderson27
    Options
    Thanks Kriss that is great advice, I am looking at low carb recipes now :) The thing is that husband doesn't eat a lot of starchy things anyway, this is why I am seeking help. He loves his veggies and fruit, fish, lean meat, brown pasta and bread etc. If he was really overweight and ate crap it would be easier to clean up his diet.

I am a newb with all this. Was surprised that carbs are the culprit along with sugary things. I thought all veggies and fruit would be ok but that clearly is not the case so lots of research to be done.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ^^ Good advice from Kris.

Carbs is the macro from plants. It's in seeds, nuts, grains (flours), veggies (root, green leafy, etc) and fruits. As a general rule, the carbs in refined carbs like flours (breads, muffins, tortillas) and sugars will raise blood glucose (BG) quickly and high. So do starchy root vegetables (potatoes, yams, carrots, onions, etc,) and high GI fruits like bananas, grapes and dried fruits such as raisins.

Meat, full fat dairy, seafood, eggs, and some plants like nuts, olives and avocados are lower in carbs or zero carb.

Try Dr Bernstien's Diabetes Solution. Great book. It's a low carb plan.

If he wants to go very low carb (under 50g carbs per day) try Keto Clarity.

He may want to look into Dr Tim Noakes. He has a book too. He was a long distance runner who developed T2D. He was just a bit overweight too. He switched to LCHF and reversed the condition.

This was me too. I was about 20lbs heavier than I wanted to be when I developed prediabetes. Top of a normal BMI. I went very low carb and my BG is much better. LCHF helped me a lot.

• RemoteOutpost
    RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LCHF works and is absolutely the way my body is genetically designed to fuel and function.
  • manderson27
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. He is finding this very hard to come to grips with this diagnosis and to understand what needs to be done so all your input and explanations are truly appreciated.

At the moment this is how he is seeing things: he can't eat processed meats, bacon, sausage, ham etc due to the salt (high blood pressure) He can't eat red meats, cheese etc ( high cholesterol) He can't eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cake, biscuits, etc ( pre-diabetic) he can't eat his favorite fruits, he can't eat some veg, so all he can eat is salad, fish and eggs.

I have to agree with him up to a point. He has already had to reduce a lot of things that he liked to eat now if he has to go low carb how does he do this without using meat, cheese etc for protein.

I understand his frustration after eating so sensibly and keeping fit for the last 30 years he has had to adapt to his body throwing all this crap at him in the last 4 years.

I know we will sort it all out but it hurts me to see him so low. We should be enjoying our retirement not having to worry about what we are eating. For me it is only calorie restriction which is easy compared to what he has to sort out.

Sorry about the rant and thank you all for the advice and responding.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't believe he "can't" eat those things, just that he needs to limit them. I know diabetics who eat meat, cheese, fruit, etc it's just that they need to be mindful of quantity and how those foods affect them.

I'm no expert, so I can't offer anything else. I'm sorry you guys are going through this - hang in there!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My husband is 67 only around 10 pounds overweight (put this on since retirement a year ago). He is 6' 2" and cycles around 4 hours a week and walks a lot. He also has slightly elevated blood pressure and cholesterol which are both under control now.

Yesterday the results of his yearly check up came back and he was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. He is devastated, to be honest, I have never seen him so low, he is very frightened by this.

He is Jamaican and I gather that his ethnicity is a factor in all these things. It is hard on him as he has always been careful with his health and fitness.

The reason I am writing is to ask for simple recipes and foods that would be suitable for him to help get his numbers back in check. He is a bit lost and I really want to help him to lose the 10 pounds and reverse his blood numbers. He has always supported me in my journey now it is my turn to help him and I know that there are many of you out there dealing with the same issues so I am hoping you can give me advice and tips that I can pass on to him. If we are pro-active about this it will help him to cope.

I am looking on NHS sites and have downloaded some info but I would love to hear from my fellow MFP folks who are actively going through this.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Basically, reduce his carb intake. I am diabetic and, per my doctor, I have a limit of 180 g. of carbs per day. This really doesn't crimp my style much. I do have my sandwiches on one slice of bread instead of 2, I eat more veggies than fruit, and I limit things like rice and pasta. I really haven't had to change my eating too much but still reduced my A1C from 7.3 to 5.0 within a year.

• earlnabby
    Options
    Thanks Kriss that is great advice, I am looking at low carb recipes now :) The thing is that husband doesn't eat a lot of starchy things anyway, this is why I am seeking help. He loves his veggies and fruit, fish, lean meat, brown pasta and bread etc. If he was really overweight and ate crap it would be easier to clean up his diet.

I am a newb with all this. Was surprised that carbs are the culprit along with sugary things. I thought all veggies and fruit would be ok but that clearly is not the case so lots of research to be done.

Sugary things are not the issue, total carbs are. He may have to reduce his fruit and bread intake. Just eat half of the quantity he is used to and see what that does to his numbers. Does his doctor want to do regular A1C tests every 3 months? That is the best way to see how dietary changes are affecting his blood sugars since that measures the average blood glucose over a 3 month period.
  • nvmomketo
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. He is finding this very hard to come to grips with this diagnosis and to understand what needs to be done so all your input and explanations are truly appreciated.

At the moment this is how he is seeing things: he can't eat processed meats, bacon, sausage, ham etc due to the salt (high blood pressure) He can't eat red meats, cheese etc ( high cholesterol) He can't eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cake, biscuits, etc ( pre-diabetic) he can't eat his favorite fruits, he can't eat some veg, so all he can eat is salad, fish and eggs.

I have to agree with him up to a point. He has already had to reduce a lot of things that he liked to eat now if he has to go low carb how does he do this without using meat, cheese etc for protein.

I understand his frustration after eating so sensibly and keeping fit for the last 30 years he has had to adapt to his body throwing all this crap at him in the last 4 years.

I know we will sort it all out but it hurts me to see him so low. We should be enjoying our retirement not having to worry about what we are eating. For me it is only calorie restriction which is easy compared to what he has to sort out.

Sorry about the rant and thank you all for the advice and responding.

If he goes low carb, he can probably eat those higher sodium foods. Your sodium needs go up when you reduce carbs. You lose a LOT of electrolytes with the initial water loss. If you do not replace those salts/sodium you can make yourself very sick. If you are actively restricting sodium, your sodium could get dangerously low. :(

I would not restrict sodium on a LCHF diet. Sodium restrictions are old fashioned thinking and apply to the high carb governement dietary recommendations - not low carb.

He might really enjoy LCHF if he gets those foods back! ;)

Here's a very recent talk, by an internationally recognized, award winning doctor, where sodium needs are discussed. It turns out that when thousands are looks at, 5000mg of sodium per day is the ideal. Low sodium diets are not healthier.

https://youtu.be/f2LYe4Gzmc4
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    OP I don't know where you live but I think that you should also ask the doctor for dietary recommendations since your husband seems to have several health problems to consider.
    If a doctor gives a patient a diagnosis, he should also give the patient information on how to deal with it or treat it, either with medication and/or changes in the diet. A referral to a dietitian seems to be a good course of action for your husband’s situation.

Here are some links and recommendations from the Mayo Clinic and you can get more on line.

# Pre Diabetes Dietary Recommendations - Mayo Clinic Low ...
    weightlossdietc.com/.../pre-diabetes-dietary-recommendations=ps11807
    6.9K reviews · By Weight Loss Diet

Pre Diabetes Dietary Recommendations - Mayo Clinic Low Fat Low Cholesterol Diet Pre Diabetes Dietary Recommendations Weight Loss Surgery Clinics In Alexandria La ...

Tips for Prediabetes and Diabetes Meal Planning - Mayo Clinic
    newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/tips-for-prediabetes-and...

Tips for Prediabetes and Diabetes Meal Planning. ... the following guidelines serve as a good starting point and can be adjusted as ... Mayo Clinic Minute; Healthy ...
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would ask what he eats now..and drinks? Too much pasta, bread and fruits and veggies could be too many carbs for him.

I was "pre-diabetic" and then went "diabetic" last January (according to my Dr.) I was 308 pounds and am now 58 yrs young.

I don't count carbs, or eat low carb. I eat lots of fruit and veggies, but very little bread or pasta.

I did cut all pop/soda out. (well..I have a diet coke, now and then)

I got active and dropped over 80 pounds. I am not on any meds for diabetes. I just stay active, and watch my calories. HOWEVER..what works for one person might not for another.

I would make sure he consults his Dr. before embarking on any "strict" changes.

Low Carb could help him..does he drink pop/soda..alcohol?

It does seem like a healthy diet, he has, depending on how much bread and pasta he is eating.

I am not a dietician, nor medical expert. I know what worked for me. Being active, losing weight , and cutting soda out.

So far..all my tests have been in line for over a year now. Your husband has other issues as well..cholesterol and BP.

Do some research, make a plan with your Dr..have the A1C test every 3 months..find out what works and what doesn't.

I wish you the best.
  • manderson27
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I don't believe he "can't" eat those things, just that he needs to limit them. I know diabetics who eat meat, cheese, fruit, etc it's just that they need to be mindful of quantity and how those foods affect them.

I'm no expert, so I can't offer anything else. I'm sorry you guys are going through this - hang in there!

You and I know he CAN eat that stuff just needs to adjust a few things but he is freaking out at the moment lol :)

• earlnabby
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

You and I know he CAN eat that stuff just needs to adjust a few things but he is freaking out at the moment lol :)

Very normal. It might help to schedule a consult with a Registered Dietician. They can help sort out the facts and help explain meal plans that work with his preferences as well as medical needs.
  • manderson27
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    OP I don't know where you live but I think that you should also ask the doctor for dietary recommendations since your husband seems to have several health problems to consider.
    If a doctor gives a patient a diagnosis, he should also give the patient information on how to deal with it or treat it, either with medication and/or changes in the diet. A referral to a dietitian seems to be a good course of action for your husband’s situation.

Here are some links and recommendations from the Mayo Clinic and you can get more on line.

# Pre Diabetes Dietary Recommendations - Mayo Clinic Low ...
    weightlossdietc.com/.../pre-diabetes-dietary-recommendations=ps11807
    6.9K reviews · By Weight Loss Diet

Pre Diabetes Dietary Recommendations - Mayo Clinic Low Fat Low Cholesterol Diet Pre Diabetes Dietary Recommendations Weight Loss Surgery Clinics In Alexandria La ...

Tips for Prediabetes and Diabetes Meal Planning - Mayo Clinic
    newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/tips-for-prediabetes-and...

Tips for Prediabetes and Diabetes Meal Planning. ... the following guidelines serve as a good starting point and can be adjusted as ... Mayo Clinic Minute; Healthy ...

Thank you. Yes I am researching as we speak, most helpful. x
  • manderson27
    Options
    @manderson27 -- When a health issue arises its so hard for us to accept and often times we get into the mind set that we just shouldn't eat these foods at all but if you cut out all those things it can actually make things worse.

cutting out things leads to struggle and struggle can cause binges, it can cause the *kitten* it attitude and it can cause a lot of frustration. Also removing all carb like things from the diet is not a cure all for diabetes, because even diabetics need to consume carbs, if they don't their liver will produce its own sugar and that can cause blood sugar spikes as well, the trick is to learn to eat these things in more normal quantities. As weight loss goes down the blood sugars will stabilize and so will his other health issues but he's never going to take off that weight by making his diet so complicated and restricted that he can't stick with it.

Find his calorie goal.. Eat portions within those calories and help him get the weight off and it WILL get better, focus on the weight and the markers for over all health issues improve. Stop focusing on removing foods for this reason or that reason, 10lbs is maybe a couple months or so of calorie deficit and exercise and normal portions during this time will be less of an impact on his health issues then if he was ignoring it.

Absolutely agree with this Kriss he is just freaking out. I am not removing foods as much as just checking them out and replacing or adding stuff so he can see that he doesn't have to stop eating he just need minor adjustments. The exercise will be up to him though and he wont have a problem with that he is pretty fit.
  • manderson27
    Options
    I would ask what he eats now..and drinks? Too much pasta, bread and fruits and veggies could be too many carbs for him.

I was "pre-diabetic" and then went "diabetic" last January (according to my Dr.) I was 308 pounds and am now 58 yrs young.

I don't count carbs, or eat low carb. I eat lots of fruit and veggies, but very little bread or pasta.

I did cut all pop/soda out. (well..I have a diet coke, now and then)

I got active and dropped over 80 pounds. I am not on any meds for diabetes. I just stay active, and watch my calories. HOWEVER..what works for one person might not for another.

I would make sure he consults his Dr. before embarking on any "strict" changes.

Low Carb could help him..does he drink pop/soda..alcohol?

It does seem like a healthy diet, he has, depending on how much bread and pasta he is eating.

I am not a dietician, nor medical expert. I know what worked for me. Being active, losing weight , and cutting soda out.

So far..all my tests have been in line for over a year now. Your husband has other issues as well..cholesterol and BP.

Do some research, make a plan with your Dr..have the A1C test every 3 months..find out what works and what doesn't.

I wish you the best.

Thank you for your response, so glad you have pulled it all back so well. My husband is 67 6' 2" and weighs 190 so only a 10 pound gain in the last year. He has never over indulged in any food and is careful about what he eats, always has his fruit and veggies daily, pasta or rice once a week, and never eats huge portions. He cycles once or twice a week but they are usually 3-4 hour rides. so this is why he is finding it a bit hard to come to terms with

Thanks again for responding I am really grateful to all my MFP friends for their help.xx
  • nvmomketo
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A Novel Intervention Including Individualized Nutritional Recommendations Reduces Hemoglobin A1c Level, Medication Use, and Weight in Type 2 Diabetes
    http://diabetes.jmir.org/2017/1/e5/

Conclusions: These initial results indicate that an individualized program delivered and supported remotely that incorporates nutritional ketosis can be highly effective in improving glycemic control and weight loss in adults with T2D while significantly decreasing medication use.