Possible to hit a "plateau" after only five days????

Options
Hello! I have about 150 pounds to lose, so I expected the weight to come off quickly during the first few weeks at least (when you have more to lose you generally lose it faster at first). However, after losing 9 pounds in the first five days, I have stayed exactly the same during the past 6 days. I am feeling frustrated and disappointed and confused. What do I change? Should I change something or wait it out? I'm exercising and eating less, so I'm not doing this by half measures. I've been following the myfitpal recommendations for calories.....should I go lower?

Replies

• margaritkat
    Options
    My advise to you , Continue to do the same. DO NOT STOP!!!!!! If you feel that you can add more exercise would be great.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself so much. Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs daily. Try to weigh in just once a week, at the same time and under the same conditions (i.e. right when you get up, after using the bathroom but before eating). Make sure to keep measurements as well as track weight. Also, make sure you are measuring and weighing your foods, so that you know you are eating exactly as much as you are recording. Then, once you've got all that settled, give it a few weeks and see how it's going. If you're still struggling, come on back and get some tips :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself so much. Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs daily. Try to weigh in just once a week, at the same time and under the same conditions (i.e. right when you get up, after using the bathroom but before eating). Make sure to keep measurements as well as track weight. Also, make sure you are measuring and weighing your foods, so that you know you are eating exactly as much as you are recording. Then, once you've got all that settled, give it a few weeks and see how it's going. If you're still struggling, come on back and get some tips :)

^This. Stop stressing. It will all work itself out. 9lbs in 11 days is way above average and a great start. Just remember that weight loss has it's ups and downs, and it's not a linear journey.
  • stacyallison
    Options
    Thanks, Hannah. I am weighing and measuring my foods, but I have been weighing daily. It was just an awesome encouragement in those first few days. I lost two pounds a day. I was thrilled. But now, I've stayed at the same weight so long that I can see your point about not weighing each day. Although, I have to admit, that will be very difficult since I am so anxiously waiting to see it start moving again. Now, the daily weigh in has become extremely depressing.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I expected the weight to come off quickly during the first few weeks at least (when you have more to lose you generally lose it faster at first). However, after losing 9 pounds in the first five days, I have stayed exactly the same during the past 6 days.

You lost an average of 4.5 lbs per week! That's fantastic! The weight will keep coming off if you eat right :-)
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    No, just keep keeping on.
  • thisisheatherr
    thisisheatherr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's tough to give tangible recommendations specifically for you without being able to see your food diary. People on MFP often say that it's polite to make your diary public when asking for help on the boards and I think there's something to that.

But without that ... some general guidelines you may want to consider include:

FOOD:
    Are you paying attention to the amount of fat? Sodium? too high on either of these can contribute to a plateau. Also if you're staying within your calorie guidelines but you're doing it all on Little Debbie Snack Cakes, you may not see as much of a drop as otherwise. In my opinion (for what that's worth), your best bet is going with as much fresh food as you can: fresh veg, fresh fruit, fresh proteins, fresh baked bread, etc.

EXERCISE:
    What type of exercise are you doing? From what I've seen, people on the boards seem to get the best results from a combination of traditional cardio (walking, jogging, cycling, eliptical, cardio classes, etc.), intensity cardio (aka HIIT or "high intensity interval training"), and strength training (weights, circuits, strength or sculpting classes, etc.)

MEASURING SUCCESS:
    We're so stuck on the scale as the way to see our success, but especially when you start diet/exercise together you often don't drop weight because you're building muscle. But other GREAT ways to measure success are with your tape measure (have you measured your bust/waist/hips/arm/thigh yet? If not, start today!), your belt, your bloodwork like cholesterol and glucose. Another great way to measure success is your energy level. When you're eating right and exercising, you should feel more energy pretty quickly! How do your joints feel - your knees, your back? As you strengthen the muscles that support you, they should stand up much better to the same amount of weight and your joints should begin to ache less. Getting healthy is a lifestyle change - it leads to most if not all of these markers, not just weight loss!
  • stacyallison
    Options
    Should I go lower than the myfitnesspal recommendation to kickstart the weight loss?
  • stacyallison
    Options
    Diary is now public. All help welcome.
  • stacyallison
    Options
    For the first 9 days, I was just swimming in my backyard pool for 30 minute durations (making sure I was kicking and stroking the whole time). A couple days ago my hubby and I started doing p90x workouts....or at least a modified what-i-can-handle-without-keeling-over version of it. I'm doing the full duration, but sometimes it is physically impossible to do the things he does, so I'm either modifiying the action or just walking in place during those parts.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have about 150 pounds to lose, so I expected the weight to come off quickly during the first few weeks at least (when you have more to lose you generally lose it faster at first). However, after losing 9 pounds in the first five days, I have stayed exactly the same during the past 6 days. I am feeling frustrated and disappointed and confused. What do I change? Should I change something or wait it out? I'm exercising and eating less, so I'm not doing this by half measures. I've been following the myfitpal recommendations for calories.....should I go lower?

Somebody is spending way too much time on the bathroom scale!!!!!! Weigh in once a week!! If you stick to your calorie goal and log everything down to the last bite you will lose weight. Stop obsessing with the bathroom scale!
  • thisisheatherr
    thisisheatherr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So I flipped through the past few days and your diet looks pretty well rounded :-) Lots of people have lots of preferences about what we "should" or "should not" eat, but you're not going crazy high on anything that (in my opinion) could stall your body from burning fat, so my guess is you're just building up muscle because you're exercising more than you used to.

Which is a VERY GOOD THING. That's the best reason in the world to not have the scale move. More muscle means a higher basal metabolism and then you burn more calories! More muscle means you're improving your body fat percentage! More muscle is good good good.

So I agree with several others here who say weigh yourself once a week - you can pick a day (I like Mondays) and weigh yourself then only. It's good for me to not weigh every day because I can gain three lbs in a day for no good reason I can see and then lose several the next (probably has to do with water retention or something, but it's a mystery to me!). If I weigh myself too often I get focused on the number and can get easily discouraged.

And for encouragement - having plenty of MFP friends to support you as you go along is a very good thing too. Feel free to add me and I'm sure many others on this thread would be happy to become your friend!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's because of the P90X workouts. You're sore right? Well when that happens, you'll also likely be up on the scale, or not losing. This is because when the muscle tissues are damanged, they retain water. A lot of people mistakenly beleive they are building muscle quickly but that's just not physically possible - it's water retention. Think of how your ankle swells with fluid when you sprain it - same thing is happening in your muscles, it's just not as obvious to the naked eye because it's spread over a larger area.

Keep doing what your doing and your body will adjust. If you're not tracking sodium, add that to your food diary because high sodium days (and that time of the month) will also effect water weight. And of course make sure you're drinking at least 8 cups a day of water, if not more.

Above all, keep the big picture in mind. I know we all want to lose the weight as quickly as possible once we set our minds to it but this is real life, not the Biggest Loser Ranch. It's much better for you to lose the weight slowly (1-2 pounds per week on average) as this means you are making small liveable long term changes that will be more likely to stick once you get to your goal weight.

Good luck!!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    No, just keep keeping on.

This.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Hannah. I am weighing and measuring my foods, but I have been weighing daily. It was just an awesome encouragement in those first few days. I lost two pounds a day. I was thrilled. But now, I've stayed at the same weight so long that I can see your point about not weighing each day. Although, I have to admit, that will be very difficult since I am so anxiously waiting to see it start moving again. Now, the daily weigh in has become extremely depressing.

It took me 5 months to lose 62 lbs. It took me 5 months to put it on so it makes sense that it would take that long to take it off. Be realistic with your goals and you will see results; not over night, but with time.

Also, educate yourself on carbs. Carbs are NOT bad as long as you are getting ones that your body needs for your day to day activity level. I glanced at your diary and I see lots of starchy carbs; starch is NOT good if you are trying to lose weight. More veggies and fruits in your diet and you'll see better instant results. Also, make your own food instead of buying it from a box; you will see the difference if you try to eat clean after eating dirty for so long.
  • stacyallison
    Options
    Thank you for all of the encouragement. I feel stronger now and will keep on going then, just as I have been. Thanks a million MFP friends!
  • stacyallison
    Options
    Well, I'll continue dieting and exercising, I mean! But I will take all of the advice to stay off the scale except for on our official weigh in dates and I'll look into eating "cleaner"......that may take a little time because I have a fully stocked kitchen with lots of low cal diet food right now.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Should I go lower than the myfitnesspal recommendation to kickstart the weight loss?

No. My personal advice is to also adjust your goals. MFP has carbs really high, and protein and fat far too low. I'm talking HEALTHY protein and fat, whatever form you choose.

Weighing every day is going to set yourself up for disappointment, and ultimately, failure. Keep with it and start noticing the NSV (non scale victories) too. Losing 2 pounds a day is not normal (usually water) and not sustainable. For me, I am enjoying that my health has miraculously improved, I no longer crave or binge, and I'm full of energy. I'm not about to stop what I am doing, no matter what the scale says.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    No, you are just getting started and some weeks will be a big loss and you may even see some gains on occasion as your body attempts to adjust to your new routine. Don't let it discourage you, just take in the information for what it is--a number. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh every day too, but never take it seriously. It's just that I can't ignore that scale!! I only record once a week. Also, 9 lbs in 5 days??? Alot of that was water....now you are losing the FAT. I lost 8 i think in the first 5 days...and now its a little less than 2 lbs a week. Also, are you drinking at LEAST 8 cups of water a day? I did see that your sodium is pretty high. Ramen noodles are horribly high in sodium. Try to cut out some sodium.

It will start dropping off at 1-2 lbs a week now as long as you stick to your eating healthy and exercising.