Possible to hit a "plateau" after only five days????

Options
2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll continue dieting and exercising, I mean! But I will take all of the advice to stay off the scale except for on our official weigh in dates and I'll look into eating "cleaner"......that may take a little time because I have a fully stocked kitchen with lots of low cal diet food right now.

Read those "low cal, diet food" ingredients. Then do some indepth research on them, especially the artificial sweeteners. I don't touch "low cal, diet" ANYTHING. I'm stricter than most perhaps, but my health is my primary concern. Even if my kitchen was full of those foods and they were free, I still would not eat them. Perhaps some people can consume those foods in moderation and not have ill effects, but not me.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I sent you a private message.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP not quite 30 days ago. I started at 575 and now I'm 17 pounds smaller. To be blunt we didn't get fat fast, we won't get the other way fast either. Keep doing what you're doing. The more you do the more you will want to do. Most importantly (and I struggle with this on a daily basis) NEVER EVER EVER GIVE UP. Keep going, keep working at it. Keep eating better and moving more. Some day soon you'll step on the scale and be shocked by what it says, in a good way this time.
  • stacyallison
    Options
    Oh, yes, I am very sore from the p90x workouts.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks of no weight loss, with no change in diet or exercise. You did not plateau in 5 days.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday so I won't tell you to weigh once a week.

What I will say is KEEP GOING.

My first two weeks I lost 6-7 pounds (I am on week 6). Was stuck for 3 weeks at that weight, but ended up losing 10 inches, and now the scale is going down pretty quick again!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks of no weight loss, with no change in diet or exercise. You did not plateau in 5 days.

the cat knows what he's talking about.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

the cat knows what he's talking about.

X2.

70% of initial weight loss is water. You didn't hit a plateau, you just lost most of the water that was available to lose. Fat loss is much slower than that.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    OP why are you not eating your allocation of calories every day? You're hundreds under.

I started at a similar weight to you. (eating slightly less) To do this long term you need to eat a proper amount of healthy foods. Otherwise it's very easy to fall off the wagon.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    As tigersword says, a few days without a loss is not a plateau. It's normal.

And Lozze is right too - don't scrimp on the calories. you're already consistently undereating. You can perhaps get away with that with a fair bit to lose at the beginning, but it isn't sustainable long term, and also just isn't necessary. You don't need to restrict yourself that much to lose weight. Some days you've barely gone over 1000 cals. Not enough food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Nope. A "plateau" is 6 weeks or more of no weight loss/gain while consistent with diet and exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have you been measuring yourself? I bet you've been loosing inches, which is a great victory.. Start measuring yourself every couple of weeks.. The scale's been moving very slow for me, but I'm seeing changes in my measurements, so I'm not upset about the lbs. :)