Working out everyday...eating right....gained 3lbs!?

Options
I've been working out every day desperately trying to lose weight...I've gained 3lbs??? Is it because of building muscle? Because that is NOT what I wanted to see when I stepped on the scale today....

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your calories?

If you are eating at a caloric deficit, it's nearly impossible to gain muscle mass.

Is this workout routine brand new? If so, your muscles will store a lot of water while they are repairing, it's normal to see no loss or a gain when starting a new workout routine.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Unless you consumed 10,500 calories, it's more than likely water weight and will go away in a few days.
  • rachf2013
    rachf2013 Posts: 69
    Options
    Make sure you weigh yourself in the morning, after you go to the bathroom and before you eat breakfast.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Are you eating back exercise calories? Can you open your diary so we can get an idea of what you're eating and such? Are you logging EVERYTHING (including drinks)?
  • bethyylovee
    bethyylovee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not logigng EVERYTHING. :( I know I should be, I just don't find the time in the day to write down everything I eat and such.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm not logigng EVERYTHING. :( I know I should be, I just don't find the time in the day to write down everything I eat and such.

^ there is your problem...start logging everything..do you have a smartphone? Get the MFP App and log as you eat...or you can pre-log the night before..that is what I do ...
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options

You need too, and measure too. It's really the only way you can know how many calories you're eating. Ever heard 80% food 20% exercise? Rough percentages, but food plays a HUGE role in your weight loss, exercise alone wont' do it.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    That's the answer right there
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Working out won't cause weight loss. Eating less causes weight loss. You need to log everything and stay in budget. If you are eating at a deficit you aren't building muscle, especially not a lot in a short period of time. It takes work to build muscle .
  • dcfm
    dcfm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    if you are not eating your daily calories plus the excercise calories the weight will not come off. also if you are as acurate as possible in measuring and weighing your foods, it will come off.
  • whirlybirdknits
    whirlybirdknits Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Personal, TMI question: Is it your time of the month? I always gain a few extra pounds like clockwork once a month. After about 10 days it goes away just through normal hormonal fluctuations.
  • hopetobeslimsoon
    Options
    are you drinking lots and lots of water? :drinker:
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you just started a new workout regime, it could be just your muscles holding on to water. If you log everything accurately, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are eating at a deficit, it's impossible to gain 3 lbs unless you have some underlying health issues.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Unless you consumed 10,500 calories, it's more than likely water weight and will go away in a few days.

Yep. I lost three pounds the other week, then next I "gained" five, now I'm back down four. It has to be water fluctuations.
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Its most likely water fluctuations but it is important to log everything you eat and remember to measure as well as weigh yourself. You may have "gained" 3lbs but you may have also lost inches from your body. continue eating right, try to log (even if its a royal pain), keep exercising and measure yourself, you'll be surprised how much your body is changing.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^ there is your problem...start logging everything..do you have a smartphone? Get the MFP App and log as you eat...or you can pre-log the night before..that is what I do ...

*smh* ^This. LOG EVERYTHING. And invest in a food scale if you don't use one. It's $10-30 and you can find them on Amazon, at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

*smh* ^This. LOG EVERYTHING. And invest in a food scale if you don't use one. It's $10-30 and you can find them on Amazon, at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

time?

it takes 5 minutes.

do it!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    heads up, people fluctuate in weight, by allot. You'll never be a constant weight. Your weight loss well not look like a slide, it will look more like a saw blade. Sometimes gaining weight is a good and healthy thing through weight loss.

With that being said if you're not logging all your foods and you don't know if you are eating below your TDEE (higher then your goal) then you may in fact be gaining. You cannot really say you're eating right for weight loss if you don't know how much you're eating.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Why are you here?
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Before I started here I was haing that problem. What I'm doing now that's working wonders is planning out meals and snacks in advance (which is how I'm able to log my food the day before), weighing everything when I get it and dividing it into portions, bagging /packaging everything up and writing the caloric amount on the packaging (even things like cereal looks like a normal box, but inside you'll find a bunch of baggies with weighed out portions). It keeps me on track because every time I pick something up, I'm immediately faced with the reality of what I'm taking in, and can more easily determine if I'm actually hungry or just bored. Planning everything in advance also discourages over snacking, because if I want to snack, it's already been counted.