Need advice to get off the Merry Go Round

When do I stop the calorie deficit? I have been on MFP off and on for the last 5 years. In 5 years, I have lost and regained 3 times and my weight has been between 128-160lbs at 5'7". I know how to get the weight off, my problem is maintenance. I am literally scared to stop the deficit because I DO NOT want to go through this again. It is harder every time to lose the weight and I know this is not healthy. I also know that I have to stop the deficit because at 128 lbs buying clothes that actually fit was a real challenge. There was another time in my life (years ago before 2 children) that I was hitting the weight room religiously and that ended up being a clothing nightmare as well. I have been doing cardio and lifting during this journey and need to figure out what the correct balance is between those two while in maintenance. I am almost 48, have no female issues/hormones to contend with (ALL gone). I do not have any need to look either skinny or muscle-bound. Should I go have a body comp done? I feel great and would like to see some continued toning, but that is really about it. I am currently at 136.5 lb. Any suggestions or advice is sincerely appreciated. My profile is open, my diary is open, someone please help me figure out where to go from here. :)

Replies

• Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Hello :-) I don't have any advice for you I'm afraid as I am also in the same boat as you, but I wanted to say I know how hard and frustrating it is to have to keep at this. I am also the same height as you, and have gone from 175 to 124 and everything in between. And I've gained and lost and gained and lost. My weight graph looks like a roller-coaster :-(

I am currently 144 trying to get to about 135 (like you - it seems to suit me) and then I hope to stay there this time. I am no good at maintenance, and like you do not want to do this all again. I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to watch what I eat for life, and it feels tough (I am 38.)

Well done on the weight loss and the determination. :-)
  • bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    I've read a lot of advice from many different sources about this. The consistent advice is to not jump from your diet calorie limit to the recommended daily limit for maintaining weight i.e. 2000 for women. Week one after reaching your target weight, add 100 calories to your diet calorie target, so 1600 instead o f 1500, weigh yourself as normal a week later, add another 100 every week you lose weight until you don't lose any, then stay at whatever calorie limit you find yourself on for a few weeks to monitor gain/loss, adding/lessening accordingly. This way, you'll find YOUR daily target for maintaining weight. It may take several weeks, at which point you may even lose another few lbs.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I am the same height and that is almost precisely the range I have yoyo'ed within (during much of my adult life it was 139-159 but now I'm trying to maintain 128-133). I have been learning as I go along; I don't have maintenance fully figured out yet but I agree with pp's advice to give yourself a goal range and intervene if you get above or below it and to set other health/fitness goals along the way to keep things interesting and give yourself a focus.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Thank you all for the advice! I think I am going to start by eating ALL of my exercise calories back. I am relatively sure they are as accurate as can be because I use a HRM. Will also be adjusting my workouts to have more focus on strength training and lighten up the cardio time. Will have to adjust as time goes on I am sure, but I know this time I can't throw my hands up in there air and say "I'm done!"
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    I am the same height as you and almost the same weight and age. I usually fall into the trap of not logging and eating more junk food when I am at my goal. I find the initial stages of maintenance so tough because it feels like I am still on the 'diet' I am having to try and view the diet changes as permanent but focus on eating enough to maintain and resist the urge to use high cal treats to top up my calories. I find it easier not to eat refined carbs as they cause me to overeat. As long as I reach my protein goal, I generally feel satisfied. Like you, I would like to tone up a bit and have started some Pilates. This time I also aimed to get a little below what I would like to be to allow for an inevitable increase when I initially up my intake. I am currently 132 and would like to maintain at no more than 136.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Truth is that is not easy. At first it seems easy and at first it seems you can eat more and not gain anything. But as you continue that pattern the weight starts to creep upwards. But by then you are enjoying life and the wonderful tastes food and alcohol (which was also limited) brings to you in the form of joy (IMO anyhow!!! LOL). I started creeping up this winter. I ended up 10 lbs past my lowest weight. Now I am back in full deficit and its harder then ever to do! It took me a few months just to get in the right head space AGAIN. So, don't beat yourself up but don't let it go so long you gain back too many pounds. 10 pounds to me feels like a crazy amount to take off again (I lost 50 last time) but I will get there. Definitely a lifetime struggle unfortunately!
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    For me logging (food and exercise) and weighing (me and food) keeps me honest. I see immediately when I get off track and take action while it is a minor not a major correction.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    We tend to see maintenance as walking a tightrope between eating too much and eating too little because weight loss talked about as eating less than you burn. I find that maintenance works better if I widen that tightrope by setting boundaries. I have a goal weight and then five pounds on either side are my boundaries. I step on the scale weekly and as long as I am within those boundaries I don't weigh my food, I don't log calories, though I do tend to keep a rough daily total going in my head. But if the scale reading is even a tenth of a pound outside those boundaries then I start logging food until I bring it back to my goal weight. Given that it is usually a combination of overeating and water weight that pushes one out of bonds, a week or two is all that is needed. It is a lot easier to lose two pounds than to lose twenty.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    ^^This
    Set a 5-10 lb maintenance range. When you get to the top of the range, resume eating at a 250 cal deficit until you're back in mid-range. Dont wait until you gain 20 or 30 lbs. Weigh at least weekly, I weigh daily & track the trend in Happy Scale. Weight management is a life long commitment, not a short term project.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    When you've lost the weight you just continue to eat the way you did when losing except you get to enjoy a few hundred more calories.
    Even in maintenance we have to keep our eye on calorie consumption or we would start gaining again.
    As others have said have a 3-5lb goal weight range and keep vigilent about staying within that.