Losing pounds but not inches?

Options
I've lost 22 lbs so far, and have around 70 ish more to go. BUT I'm not losing inches? I don't understand why...I have also gained muscle, I can see if and feel it where it's never been before.

Anyone else have this problem? :(

Replies

• V_Faery
    V_Faery Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem :( I am loosing inches but not pounds. some say it's because I am replacing a fat pound with a muscle pound etc. Maybe it's a similar effect with you? Also have you kept a chart weekly of your inches? I've noticed I won't loose any in one particular area at all, but yes around others.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same right now - although somewhat stalled. I've lost enough to lose a clothing size but my measurements really haven't changed much in almost 5 months. I lift weights 2-3 days a week and do cardio those days also so I wondered if every time I go to measure I'm just holding water so I don't see it on the tape measure? I have no idea, but I'm right with ya.
  • Roosh513
    Roosh513 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When you say "loosing inches", do you main measurements around your waistline, or a combo of waist, neck, hips, arms, etc? Everyone is different in where they loose body fat first. For me, I started noticing big changes in my arms and shoulders first with my waist line slowly following.

Overall, do your clothes fit better? I'm assuming that with a 22 lb loss, you should be noticing some differences in how your clothes fit :smile:

Good work so far, I promise that if you keep going, your body will continue to shrink!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have found that for me it takes losing a lot of pounds before I'll lose an inch. I've also lost inches without losing pounds. There is no rhyme or reason for me and one doesn't necessarily follow the other. Pounds or inches, I'll take either.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    How many places are you taking measurements?

You are likely losing from places that you aren't measuring.

For me, I measure 7 different places. I figure I must not be hitting the same spot every time (except maybe my knees?) b/c after initially losing quite a lot of inches I haven't lost any in a long time. I think it HAS to do with where I'm measuring each time (not hitting the same spot) because I have loose skin at my knees starting and it's pretty hard to mis-measure that spot. Same with upper thighs, arms, and belly. I don't "squish" the loose skin when I measure and I wonder if that's why I'm not seeing it in inches lost????
  • jesseecaden
    jesseecaden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I measure my forearms, my bust, my waist, the fattest part of my body (right under my belly button) my thighs and my calves.

I have been tracking since January but the only thing that's changing is the pounds.

I have noticed that when I tighten my stomach muscles my belly does go in quite a bit mote than it used to...could it be viscular fat?
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to measure yourself? The reason I ask, is that it's not uncommon to have inconsistent measurements due to tape placement on curvy bodies. Are you measuring naked or over top of clothing? If over clothing, that can create some issues as well.

If you have someone that can help, that's the easiest way to stay consistent. If not, do measurements in front of the mirror, so you can try and judge how level the tape measure is. Also, use easy to identify land marks to help ensure you measure at the same location. For busts, it's usually recommended to lay the tape across the center of the nipples and about 1 inch about the base of the shoulder blades. For waist, rather then targeting the widest part (which can change as you lose weight), it's better to use the natural waist line which for women is actually 1 inch above the belly button. It easier to ensure the tape lays flat and easier to be consistent. For hips, I tend to use my hip bone as a guide. I dig my finger into my hip until I can feel the pointy part of the bone and then lay the tape right underneath my finger. Thighs can be tough, so I cheat by measuring up 8inch from the top of my knee cap.

Also remember, don't pull the tape so tight that you create a "muffin top" effect, but tight enough that there is no space between the skin and tape and no buckling anywhere in the tape.

Another trick that helps, is after measuring everything, go back and measure it all again 2 more times. Use the average as your recorded number. If you are doing placement well, you shouldn't see more then 1/8 of an inch in difference between these measurements anyway.
  • fbchick51
    Options
    Also... follow the same basic rules for consistent weigh-ins. Do it first thing in the morning, when bloating is at a minimum.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising that increases inch loss
  • jesseecaden
    Options

fbchick51 wrote: »
    Are you trying to measure yourself? The reason I ask, is that it's not uncommon to have inconsistent measurements due to tape placement on curvy bodies. Are you measuring naked or over top of clothing? If over clothing, that can create some issues as well.

If you have someone that can help, that's the easiest way to stay consistent. If not, do measurements in front of the mirror, so you can try and judge how level the tape measure is. Also, use easy to identify land marks to help ensure you measure at the same location. For busts, it's usually recommended to lay the tape across the center of the nipples and about 1 inch about the base of the shoulder blades. For waist, rather then targeting the widest part (which can change as you lose weight), it's better to use the natural waist line which for women is actually 1 inch above the belly button. It easier to ensure the tape lays flat and easier to be consistent. For hips, I tend to use my hip bone as a guide. I dig my finger into my hip until I can feel the pointy part of the bone and then lay the tape right underneath my finger. Thighs can be tough, so I cheat by measuring up 8inch from the top of my knee cap.

Also remember, don't pull the tape so tight that you create a "muffin top" effect, but tight enough that there is no space between the skin and tape and no buckling anywhere in the tape.

Another trick that helps, is after measuring everything, go back and measure it all again 2 more times. Use the average as your recorded number. If you are doing placement well, you shouldn't see more then 1/8 of an inch in difference between these measurements anyway.

I have some tattoos and birthmarks that I use as my guidelines because that's what I thought at first, I wasn't measuring the same spots but now I am continuously. It's makes no sense. Like I'm losing pounds, I'm feeling good, I can actually jog for more than 30 seconds (and without being so out of breath I feel like I'm gonna pass out) and I'm getting stronger.
  • jesseecaden
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Are you exercising that increases inch loss

Yes, daily walks and strength training 3-5 times a week.

The weight is going but idk where it's going to.
  • fbchick51
    Options
    The weight is going but idk where it's going to.

Maybe you're just one of those who loses the fat very evenly across the whole body and you'll just have to wait a little longer before it shows up on the measuring tape. I always seem to lose my weight from the outside in. Meaning I tend to notice a size change in my biceps and thighs, loooong before I see movement in my chest, waist or hips. Right now, I'm at about an 18lb loss and have seen a 2 " shrink to my thighs a full inch of my biceps, but nothing on my hips or waist or chest.

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    As others suggested consistency is important for comparison. I always measure myself w/o clothes in the morning. I measure the smallest part of my waist and neck but everything else I measure the largest part. I measure hips/butt, thighs, calves and upper arms. I generally try a few different times and then take the lowest number for my waist and neck and the largest numbers for everything else. I see very little change in my neck, arms and calves but see a lot of difference in hips/butt, thighs and waist. I only track my measurements from my right side as my left is slightly different.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've lost 22 lbs so far, and have around 70 ish more to go. BUT I'm not losing inches? I don't understand why...I have also gained muscle, I can see if and feel it where it's never been before.

Anyone else have this problem? :(

Of course! You are clearly losing in places that you don't measure. I see very little difference in my waist and hips, but oh my legs - such a difference in the mirror. And my arms too. My waist and hips (which is where I really NEED and WANT to lose) are the places that first store fat, on me. So I know that they will be the last places to drop it. Last in, first out. LIFO - if you ever took accounting, you know this term. :) Also called FILO - First in, Last out. That's always been how my body loses.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I have lost inches but not as much weight as I would like to by this point. I know everyone says inches are more important, but that damn scale gets the better of me, and I get upset when I haven't lost any weight. I live by the scale though, so I'm trying to change that part of my journey! Great weight loss so far! Keep it up, you will see the inches decrease!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    What does the mirror show? What time period?

Your body will lose fat from reproductive and organ areas usually last. Limbs usually first as they need less protection.

You can also experience what is known as whooshing - where the fat cell depletes of fat but however retains water.

This then can suddenly drop and "whoosh" off you, you'll drop weight and inches.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I had trouble measuring and getting numbers that made sense, so I gave up for a bit. Then I picked up a body fat tape measure off Amazon for like $15. It has a button than pulls the tape in with the same spring everytime and I'm finding better results with it than a fabric tape.

And I do agree you are probably losing in areas you are not measuring. Or it is coming off evenly and slowly. I lost in the neck, face, arms and legs first and now my gut is shrinking pretty good with the rest staying consistent. I'm going down a pant size every couple of weeks now. Makes clothes shopping a pain.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't take any measurements other than my waist, and while I have lost pounds and noticed that my hips, butt and legs have slimmed down, my middle has shrunk only insignificantly. I figure if this goes on I'll look like a potato on sticks!