Why did I suddenly gain 0.5 pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    When i have a particularly higher carb day even if I'm under my calories I might even go up 2lbs. It's important to note that 1g glycogen requires 3g of water to store it. You haven't gained a lick of fat if you were under your goal. I know the days I need to stay off the scale because mentally we all fall victim to the disappointment even if we *know* it's nothing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I wish a half pound was the biggest fluctuation I ever saw. That's a blip, you gotta roll with it. The average person's weight loss graph looks like a jagged line.

^ This. Here is my weight loss progress over the last year (I weigh daily). Red line is the overall trend, gray line is the daily scale weights:

j62dwoz2th7a.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    More carbs than usual is one of the things that can make your body hold onto a little extra water wait temporarily, even if it's a totally fine level of carbs, and under calorie goal (but just more than usual). Guess what's in donuts? ;)

No need for worry - wait it out, drink adequate water (no need for excess), and it'll drop off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week (or yesterday.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Ive gained 4lbs in 24 hours before and then it's gone the next day as said if you are going to weigh daily you have to mentally be able to accept gains your body will gain from not going to toilet - bowels to too much sodium and water retention when your ill and some medications

Scales aren't a liner accept weightloss isn't just a number there's also a tape measure
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Is this for real? I gain .5 lbs every day just from taking a shower. Sheesh.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was up 3lbs overnight last week. The cause?? I overdid the carbs and sodium the day before.
    I'd probably be up 0.5lbs on the scale after drinking a small cup of coffee. It just normal weight fluctuations, get used to it :wink:
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Ashleyjt_ wrote: »
    I've been doing mfp for about 2 weeks now and so far lost 4 pounds. I weigh myself every morning and have been noticing the scale decreasing each time.

Today I weighed myself at the same time every morning and it said I gained 0.5 pounds over night.

I stuck to my 1,200 calorie diet. But I did have a doughnut before I went to bed, which was 190 calories but I was still under my deficit.

What caused this sudden 0.5 increase? Was it the doughnut? I am not ovulating and I just finished my period too.

That normal...if you weigh everyday you will even see fluctuations up and down of .5 to 1-2 lbs. If this bothers you don't weigh every day.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    "Why did I suddenly gain 0.5 pounds?"

Resolve to never ask this question again. It is deeply unhealthy. It's perfect normal by your weight to fluctuate by 10 times that amount, or even more.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    If a quarter pound of donut could make you gain a half a pound of fat, you'll have discovered the secret to perpetual motion and an unlimited supply of energy. Fortunately for you, but unfortunately for the rest of the world, the laws of thermodynamics don't work that way.